Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lethbridge community college Criminal Justice Program

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lethbridge community college Criminal Justice Program

    I'm contemplating applying to LCC for their CJ program in a year or so, but I was just wondering if anyone here took it and if it was difficult to get into (in comparision with an actual university) and how useful it actually is to get a job in LE. I've heard that CJ is more of a joke to most police departments, but after looking over the program it looks like something I'd actually enjoy that my university program just isn't doing for me. I know a couple people who took it and managed to get LE jobs with it, but they have slightly different employment gaining advantages that I don't have and that I'm unable to get.

  • #2
    I would not take criminal justice in college. Most police depts are looking for a broad based education. all the Criminal justice they will teach you in the academy.

    what would you do if you started working and found you did not like the job? that CJ degree will not be useful for much.

    I know in our area at least the people that are hired very few of them graduated with a CJ degree.

    Comment


    • #3
      Most Canadian LE agencies care only about a post-secondary education.

      I don't think having criminal justice or police foundations gives you any sort of advantage when applying to a force.

      Are you planning to go RCMP?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Soon2Be
        Most Canadian LE agencies care only about a post-secondary education.

        I don't think having criminal justice or police foundations gives you any sort of advantage when applying to a force.

        Are you planning to go RCMP?

        Yeah, I'm planning on RCMP, or perhaps department of highways. (My dad keeps insisting I do department of highways because I'm a woman, and "that's what women do.") I know for department of highways a lot of the stuff they teach in CJ is knowledge that you're already expected to have when hired.

        The only slight advantage I have for the RCMP is that I'm female so I compete against the other females and not all the males.

        A CJ diploma would only be a two year program and much cheaper than university. The two years is the same cost as one year of tuition at the U of S. I thought since university isn't doing it for me now, I'd do the CJ diploma and see what I can get with that. If nothing, I'd plug away at a three year Sociology degree. At the least I'd gain valuable study skills that I could use to help at the university. Right now due to my lack of interest in anything the U of S has to offer me I find not studying and hitting all the Tim Hortons more appealing as I find it too frustrating to study, let alone study something I have no interest in.

        Comment


        • #5
          I totally understand where you're coming from. I have taken university courses and they just sucked my will to live! I have a college diploma, and have taken additional college courses, and found them much more to my liking.

          That said, I think the RCMP would value a university degree more than college diploma, and I just say that because of the quality of competition. Even though you're competing against females, you have to assess what shortcomings your application will have and make up for it in other areas. No doubt, you will be up against the best.

          Hey worst comes to worst, speak with a recruiter! Tell him/her that you're torn between university and college, and ask him/her what would look best in an application. You can't go wrong there. They want to help. I am working towards OPP, and speaking with a recruiter was invaluable to me. The are the best resource when it comes to making these decisions.

          I wish you all the best as you pursue your dream!

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks. Right now it's pointless for me to keep throwing tuition away and I'm in a position that if I don't at least stop going to university for a year or so and sort everything out, I'll get kicked out and not be able to go to any post-secondary educational facility, or so I'm told. I'm one half-class away from not being able to apply as a mature student if I do drop out, or am forced out for a year and have to re-apply. Unfortunetly they raised the acceptance average this year so my high school marks are useless. I really would like a university degree, but right now it's just not possible for me. I will definitely at some point get at least a three year degree. Provided I don't lose was credits I have now, I'd only be about two years away from a three year Sociology degree. Plus, I may be able to get off my probationary period if I voluntarily take a year or more off. I think that would probably look better rather than getting the boot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Soon2Be
              That said, I think the RCMP would value a university degree more than college diploma, and I just say that because of the quality of competition. Even though you're competing against females, you have to assess what shortcomings your application will have and make up for it in other areas. No doubt, you will be up against the best.
              It doesn't really matter whether you have a degree or a dimploma. I don't have either and I was still hired. I did 2 years at the U of C and found that university wasn't my thing. Instead I took my EMT-A and worked in a completely different field than that. If you're taking some sort of education, you'll gain valuable experience regardless of where/what it is.

              When I was at Depot, I had a troopmate who went to LCC and took the CJ program. I worked with another member who took it, and my best friend who is now apllying also took it. The point is, LCC is a very respected school and a lot future law enforcement people go there. The most important "skill" to have is to be of good moral character.

              By the way Speedee, if you think that you would rather apply to the RCMP than the highways department, I say go for it. You can always apply to both and use one as a stepping stone to the other. Your Dad was right about "women's work," but wrong about what it means. (ie: can often connect with female victims/suspects better than any male.)

              Good Luck
              But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
              1 Corinthians 15:10

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mark7777
                what would you do if you started working and found you did not like the job? that CJ degree will not be useful for much.
                Good lord, this urban legend again?

                A major study of HR managers showed that they usually are just looking for people with a four-year degree, the major is almost irrelevant. If you're applying for say, a retail sales job, a Criminal Justice degree is just as valuable, or just as worthless, as a degree in Psychology, Liberal Arts, or Ancient Babylonian Astrology.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 51094
                  It doesn't really matter whether you have a degree or a dimploma. I don't have either and I was still hired. I did 2 years at the U of C and found that university wasn't my thing. Instead I took my EMT-A and worked in a completely different field than that. If you're taking some sort of education, you'll gain valuable experience regardless of where/what it is.

                  When I was at Depot, I had a troopmate who went to LCC and took the CJ program. I worked with another member who took it, and my best friend who is now apllying also took it. The point is, LCC is a very respected school and a lot future law enforcement people go there. The most important "skill" to have is to be of good moral character.

                  By the way Speedee, if you think that you would rather apply to the RCMP than the highways department, I say go for it. You can always apply to both and use one as a stepping stone to the other. Your Dad was right about "women's work," but wrong about what it means. (ie: can often connect with female victims/suspects better than any male.)

                  Good Luck
                  Yeah, the whole reason why I'm going to LCC is because I know a lot people who went there. Two of them were for CJ, and the others were for different programs, one of them being finishing up her degree program that she started. It sounds like a pretty good school.

                  I discussed my educational decisions with an academic advisor today and I'm still able to come back after being gone for four years and work towards a three year degree and keep the years worth of credits that I do have. Unfortunetly I'll still be on probation though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 51094
                    It doesn't really matter whether you have a degree or a dimploma. I don't have either and I was still hired.
                    My point was that all other things being equal, a degree would be more helpful than a diploma.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Soon2Be,
                      I wasn't discrediting your post. I apologise if it appeared that way. You're right, all things being equal, the smallest little thing can make a difference.
                      But by the grace of God, I am what I am.
                      1 Corinthians 15:10

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Soon2Be
                        My point was that all other things being equal, a degree would be more helpful than a diploma.
                        So if I have a degree AND a diploma would that be a bonus to me over someone who just has a degree?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Spee-Dee,

                          Absolutely! Why? Because you have showed commitment to continuous learning beyond high school. Many forces' recruitment web pages state that this is a preferable attribute of a competetive candidate.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 4058 users online. 255 members and 3803 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X