Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University Officer Killed // Who Is To Blame ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University Officer Killed // Who Is To Blame ?

I read the news story about the university police officer that tried to break up a tail gating party and when he met with "resistance" he and in plain clothes did pull his gun and fire three shots into the air.

A nearby officer not knowing who the guy was shot and killed the university officer.

My questions regarding this are:

What agency in their right mind allows firing of shots into the air ?

Was there not a color of the day or other marking used so uniforms could id plain clothes officers ?

What trained officer trying to break up a tail gating party made up of a bunch of beer drunk football fans would try to do it himself ?

What trained officer would fire the old "warning shots" ?

This whole incident sickens me and I do strongly feel that at fault officer was the now decesed university officer who in plain clothes fired into the air.
    I feel for his family but more so for the officer that shot him and his family.

The whole situtaion could have been avoided had the univesrity officer used better judgement and called for uniforms and stepped back until they arrived and id'ld himself and then worked to break up the "party" and the end result may have been the arrest of a couple of drunk football fans.

I am just sickened by this whold event.

Bodie...where was this? What agency was involved??
    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

News story posted in Officer Down.

Comment

Not a lot of info there.... but your opinion sounds correct to me. It is just so unreal that a trained officer would fire into the air ...that I am wondering if there really is more to this story then anyone knows just yet.
        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

check out www.odmp.org

It sounds like the undercover officers firearm went off during a scuffle and the uniformed officer thought the UC was shooting and returned fire.

In any event we need to pray for both officers families. I hope to never be put in that position. I can't imagine what's going thru the Uniformed Officers mind. He is apparently a reserve officer who retired after 25 years. Sad
          ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            What agency in their right mind allows firing of shots into the air ?
            Even non-LEOs that carry firearms know that warning shots are not a valid use of a firearm, especially in an urban setting.

The whole situtaion could have been avoided had the univesrity officer used better judgement and called for uniforms and stepped back until they arrived and id'ld himself and then worked to break up the "party" and the end result may have been the arrest of a couple of drunk football fans.
            I'm waiting until there are more facts before making up my mind on the matter... It seems to me there is probably more to this story than we are being told. Who would be talking the most to the media at this point? Probably the people involved in the fight, who would probably have a reason for making the officer appear to be at fault, if those involved in the fight were somehow responsible. The uniformed officer is probably keeping his mouth shut, so we probably aren't hearing a lot from his perspective.

Comment

take it easy BODIE YOU WERENT THERE SO DONT START CASTING JUDGMENT LETS SEE ALL THE FACTS .....OK !

Comment

Irish I am not judging.
                It is and has been my job to try to figure out why these things happen and PREVENT them from happening again.
                I never judge. I TEACH and you need to learn that.

This tragic incidents should have and could have been avoided if PROCEDURES and TRAINING are followed.

Comment

It happend after a UCF football game in orlando, and the officer that was uniformed (that shot the UC cop) was a reservist with the Orlando PD.
                  "I once killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."

Comment

Witnesses told the Orlando Sentinel that the incident started when an undercover officer tried to break up a tailgate party. When he encountered resistance, they said, he fired three shots into the air. An Orlando Police officer saw the man with the gun and shot him several times, the newspaper said.
                    does that mean the the plain clothes was attacked and in process discharges several rounds or did he really just crank off warning rounds.

I dunno ..... I was not there and there is not enough info to make a judgment call like Bodie just did

gee Bodie.....you telepathic .....or just pathetic
                    Last edited by narc; 09-25-2005, 01:41 PM.
                    "here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

Comment

Irish I am not judging.
                      It is and has been my job to try to figure out why these things happen and PREVENT them from happening again.
                      I never judge. I TEACH and you need to learn that.

This tragic incidents should have and could have been avoided if PROCEDURES and TRAINING are followed.

by Bodie

SOUNDS LIKE A JUDGING STATEMENT TO ME
                      "here's to us and those like us .....damn few left"

Comment

THANKS NARC AS YOU CAN SEE HE WAS A CHIEF WHICH EXPLAINS A LOT OF HIS COMING TO A FORGONE CONCLUSION.... i always stand behind my guys until proven wrong !!!!

Comment

Everbody in every class I have attended or taught over 25 yrs has said never fire a gun unless you know where the round is going. And that means no so called warning shots. My first warning shot will be center of mass.

Comment

Everbody in every class I have attended or taught over 25 yrs has said never fire a gun unless you know where the round is going. And that means no so called warning shots. My first warning shot will be center of mass.
                            this is not the classroom or your CHIEFS OFFICE its the real world

Comment

Originally posted by eyerish101
                              this is not the classroom or your CHIEFS OFFICE its the real world
                              Thing is, Bodie makes a valid point. Real world or not, you better know where your rounds are going to impact unless you are going to value the reflection time you are given in the state pen for negligent homicide when a stray round kills a little kid. If we could abide and follow that common sense rule in Iraq in the middle of Baghdad during a 10 hour firefight, it can be done on the streets of the USA and more so on a university campus.
                              Last edited by ZGXtreme; 09-25-2005, 04:25 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3923 users online. 251 members and 3672 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X