300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect in NCSHP Basic School

Ive completed the entire process for the Highway Patrol in NC. I am hoping Ill be in the next school in October. I passed the medical and psych exam back in August but I am still waiting on a final offer of employment though. ( and Ill be in the 6 mos. school too ) Basically I am asking if there is anyone who can tell me what to expect the first week or two of Basic School, ie how many are in one class and what do you bring etc. Havent really been told much, and didnt want to ask in the review board. Any information is helpful. Thanks.
    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

NCSHP Basic School

Your user name indicates you're a Marine. If that's the case, you're going back to Boot Camp in quite a few ways. I'm not a NC Officer, but have just retired from Alabama DPS. The Academy is very strong on military discipline, academics, and physical fitness. This will be MCRD all over again, with considerably more academics. You will lose several members of your class almost immediately. In most cases, these will be personal who have had no prior military experience, but that's not always the case. You'll hit the deck running about 04:30 each morning, and you won't get back into your rack untill 22:00 or later. You'll march to chow, and eat at attention. Be prepared for daily room inspections, as well as personnel inspections. After about four weeks, you'll begin to notice your class(platoon) coming together as a unit. It will be one of the most difficult 26 weeks of your life, but it also has the potential of becoming one of the most rewarding periods of your life as well. What I have posted is merely an overview, and by no means, all inclusive. Good luck.

Comment

29 weeks of Hell. Be prepared to run, run, run. Be prepared to do push-ups until failure. Be prepared to get "smoked" 5 times a day, everyday. Bring a metal spatula. They will have you on your knees scraping wax off the floors. Make sure you have no hair on your head and comfortable running shoes. Make sure this is what you really want, if not they will weed you out!
      "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

I know this is what I really want to do, not to mention I will be leaving a good job to do this ( which alone is a hard decision but I wont pass up this oppurtunity). Ive been yelled at and run all over the place when I was in the Marines, so Im not too worried about that part. Guess I should be expecting to be back in Parris Island for 6 mos. Any advice on what to expect right when I get there? Is all cadets really do is run the first week? How many were in your class and how many graduated? What is the hardest part of the school in your opinion? Thank you for your replies, they are appreciated.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

The first week is pretty hectic. Schools usually start with anywhere from 40 to 50 people. They cram a lot of stuff at you and not everyone has military experience (in fact 90% won't), so it might be frustrating for you. They give you like 3 mins to shower after PT and be in formation. Then they trash your stuff and give you like 5 mins to clean it up. Of course there is never enough time to do it all, so you pay with push-ups and what they call "hall prayer meetings". We started with like 53-55 and graduated 38. It's tough but it is worth it in the end!!!! It's all a mind game, but sometimes it's hard to keep remembering that. The training is awesome and you make some great friends in school. The first week is going to be the longest since you have to be there Sat. morning and stay till Fri. afternoon. From there on you are going to have to be back early evening Sun. and leave midday Fri. As the school progresses, you get to come back later on Sun. nights. The hardest part for a lot of people was being away from their young kids and wives. We had young guys in my class who had only been married few years and it was tough on them and their wives/kids. The instructors put A LOT of stress on you, and I don't care who you are, it does start to wear on you after a few weeks. For me, I was always tired and hungry! That was the worst part. But like I said, you left a good job and it is something you want, so just keep remembering that. I promise it will be worth all of the BS!!! Few weeks before you graduate, you go pick up your patrol car and your whole class drives back to the school in a big convoy. Once you reach the entrance, you put on your lights and siren, and everyone comes out of the buildings and claps and stuff. You drive real slow through the school and everyone sees you. That is the best feeling!
          "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

Comment

That really motivated me. Thanks. Im still a police officer but will resign to be a trooper whenever I get my final offer, not sure how to tell my Chief though.
            The main worry for me is academics. I didnt have any problems in BLET, but still had to study alot, as long as there is study time Ill be fine, do you get tests every Friday in Patrol School? I hated Juvenile Law. Any Marines in your class, did they say how it compared? I also heard the instructors ( if thats what theyre called ) inspect your vehicle. Is that true? My tint is pretty dark on my car. Maybe Ill drive my sisters car there lol. Im off to Church, Ill check back this afternoon. Thanks again.

Comment

The academics are pretty tough. You have a lot of crap to remember. But you get 2 hrs of study time everynight. The majority of the instructors that teach the different classes are pretty good. Yeah the first day the look in your car and check your registration and stuff. Make sure all of your stuff in up to date and that you clean the car out. Dont have any beer cans or tobacco in your car, and if you have a radar detector, get rid of it...LOLOL! They might get on you about your tint, I dunno. They got on a couple of people in my school for dirty cars and stuff. We had a guy, who ended up quitting, his dad was retired HP and he had the HP plates on his car. Man they smoked him. But like I said previously, its all a game and I am sure they will find something wrong!

Comment

I would loose the tint, even if it's legal. (Which I think is 30% now a days).

Also, make sure that the driver's license and car registration are up to date with the correct ADDRESS. If they don't match you are going to hear about it. I did.

NCTroop is correct about the hair cut. Don't waste your money at the barber shop. Get a pair of clippers and buzz it all off all the way to the scalp, no guard. If you show up high and tight (I did) then all you are going to do is waste $5 dollars for the barbers they bring in to cut it again.

It's another opportunity to get reamed. You are better off having already done that and spending that extra 30 minutes getting your room in order.

The only other thing I would add about prior military is; that may or may not make a difference for you. There were 5 military guys that left my class before dinner on Sunday. There is one main difference IMO versus military boot camp. In the patrol you can leave anytime you want to. Nobody is making you stay. Quite the contrary, you will be harrassed, asked, even begged to quit. I am not exaggerating. We had one former trooper quit in my school. He had quit the patrol (had already been through and graduated a previous patrol school) and then came back. He quit the first day and said he lacked the motivation necessary to graduate. So a lot of what goes through your mind is damn, 6 months of this is a loooonnnngggg time. No one is making me stay, so why should I stay?

You need to have a real good answer for that question inside you're head for that or you won't make it.

The only other advice I can really give is don't psych yourself out. Don't worry about not being able to hack it. That will be a self fulfilling prophecy. Instead of saying to yourself I don't know if I can make it for six months start saying to yourself hey I am making it today. I'm still here! The only time you aren't making it is when you say "Sir, I wish to resign, sir".

I'm speaking to all of this from first hand experience. Do NOT quit. It will eat at you forever. If you have any doubts now that you can't make it through either find a way to get those doubts out of your head or don't show up that Saturday.

I would also highly recommend that you have someone drop you off the first Saturday. Then you don't have a way to get home until Friday.
                Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

I would also highly recommend that you have someone drop you off the first Saturday. Then you don't have a way to get home until Friday.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good idea...I didnt think about that!!

Comment

I wont quit the school, this is something Ive always wanted to do. My car is current on everyithng. I do have a Highway Patrol sticker on my front windshield, Illl be taking that off. Do you box in Patrol school? I was surprised to hear they give you a car right when you graduate. We dont even have take home cars at my department. Once again, I appreciate all the info. I check my po box everyday waiting for my letter from the Patrol, Ill let you know when I get it.

Comment

Yes..take that sticker off!!! Put it back on when you graduate . You should hear something soon. I went to my phys. in July and I heard in Aug. that I got accepted to the Sept. school. You should have gotten a cadet manual when you went for the physical. It gives you an idea of some stuff. Yes you box, usually the last 4-5 weeks of school. Its pretty much the last thing you go through in school. After that the instructors leave you alone and you just take some bs classes then graduate. Its tough though!!!

If you havent already, break in some good running shoes. Then bring another pair to work in. The first 3-4 weeks they dont give you a uniform. You have to wear your own clothes. Jeans or khaki pants w/ a belt, and a collared shirt. The first few weeks are pretty tough b/c u are trying to get used to the schedule and routine. It took me about 3 weeks to get my body acclimated to the schedule and all. Then after that, everyone kinda gets with the program. Oh yeah bring plenty of white crew socks and underwear!!!! I am trying to think of what else?? Oh, practice arm rotations too!! You dothose a lot and people think they are easy..but they make you do them for a long time....so throughout the day drop and do push-ups and then do the arm circles. Ok if I think of more I will let you know!! When I went to school I didnt know anyone and I had no idea what to expect...so I dont mind helping you out and answering your questions. HP school though is like giving birth: you can describe it to somebody, but you have to go through it to fully understand what its about!

Comment

My BLET instructor was a state trooper. That was his favorite. The arm rotations! We always did those and they look easy but...He told us he ran the BLET program as close as possible to Patrol School, but then again we went home every night. So I have to wear my own clothes? That surprised me. I remember when I went up for my strength and written tests I was eating in the cafeteria and the cadets marched in. Very similar to the Marine boot camp. I didnt get a manual or anything when I had my physical, none of us there did. The only encouraging news I really got was the nurse lady said we were the first group in for the physicals, she said it meant we were the top selections for the next school. I dont know about that though. I also remember there were alot of Motor Carrier officers there training too. Yes, if you can think of any other advice, please let me know.

Comment

Yeah first few weeks you dont get uniforms, unless they changed it but I dont think so. Yeah the chow hall is a pain in the [email protected]#. Especially at lunch when it is packed. But like everything, it is a routine and you get used to it. It is almost like second nature. You'll be at home cutting corners and eating with your head down. Lets see....no talking at meals, you really only sit down during meals, study time and class time. On your breaks you cant sit. Hell most of the time your in the hall getting yelled at anyway. Make sure you know how to make a bed with hospital corners and all of that crap. You also have to fold underwear and t-shirts into these damn squares for display. They show you how to do everything the first day. Typical schedule is as follows:

5a-wake up
                          510-be in formation for pt
                          645-back in room to shower and dress
                          650-be information for chow
                          7-745-eat and clean up rooms and barracks
                          750-be in classroom
                          8-12 you have class with 10 min breaks every 50 mins. You go back to room for breaks and you better be cleaning, most of the time they have trashed everything so you are getting yelled at on breaks.
                          12-1 you eat and more cleaning
                          1-5-more classes and the breaks, more yelling.
                          5-6 dinner and cleaning
                          6-7 clean
                          7-9 study
                          9-10 clean and get ready for the next day, more yelling then bed at 10

Then you do it all over again!!!!

Comment

Good luck on your new career move. Just remember this is what you want. The funny thing is, you will see the instructors that are busting your shops later down the Road. Remind them of the crapp they gave you at the academy. I met one of mine. He denied everything as he laughed. But he did take me out to lunch. The instructors do care about you. They don

Comment

Lambor-- I agree with you!! Its sucks during the whole school, but afterwards you talk about it and laugh. We still talk about some of the crazy stuff they yelled at us for and so forth and it still cracks me up. I talk to some of my old instructors every once in awhile and we laugh about it. It is all business during the school though. When you get out and on the road, you understand why they put you through so much crap!

I heard short school was starting Oct. 15 and long school was starting the Sat. after. Good luck!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4708 users online. 301 members and 4407 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X