Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Professional Courtesy

---------------
    Last edited by Siege_101; 02-15-2016, 04:10 AM.

Just so you know this topic has been beaten worse than a dead horse. Bottom line, (my opinion) do your dead level best not to be stopped, if you get consideration fine, if not do not, I repeat do not whine. There is no whining in LE (HUGE roll of the eyes). The expectation of consideration should never be take for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by Siege_101
      I work as a police dispatcher, I am a member of the PBA, and have an ID and a shield, I however have not been pulled over since I have been hired. If I were to get pulled over and I asked for professional courtesy while showing my shield, would you give it to me as you would any other officer or would you treat it differently? I am also worried because I personally don't think many officers would even believe me because I am young, only 18.
      Sounds like you are asking for exemption from the law rather than professional courtesy. How about professional driving?

In some places, I understand using your position in LE in this manner can get you terminated right quick. Beware.
      -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

You are a member of the PBA as a Dispatcher?

Comment

Originally posted by djack16
          Sounds like you are asking for exemption from the law rather than professional courtesy. How about professional driving?

In some places, I understand using your position in LE in this manner can get you terminated right quick. Beware.
          oh god relax, some of you guys take things too serious. If you did something minor and it was me who pulled you over and you were respectful to me I would let you slide.

Comment

yes...your a dispatcher..our lives are in your hands!!

Have a great day!!
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

I work as a police dispatcher, I am a member of the PBA, and have an ID and a shield, I however have not been pulled over since I have been hired. If I were to get pulled over and I asked for professional courtesy while showing my shield, would you give it to me as you would any other officer or would you treat it differently? I am also worried because I personally don't think many officers would even believe me because I am young, only 18.
              you can always find a way to mention your dispatch position, but please don't come right out and ask for professional courtesy. It's not a professional way of identifying yourself as a PBA member.

And yes, dispatchers can be associate PBA members. As was said, they put up with as much verbal crap as we do and do tell us where to go.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                And yes, dispatchers can be associate PBA members. As was said, they put up with as much verbal crap as we do and do tell us where to go.
                Thanks Jerry. I was a dispatcher at my agency before I went on the road and we were not members of the PBA. Just curious because it's not familiar to me! It's nice to hear they have support in other agencies. Here they have to fend for themselves. They are extremely important and don't get the respect they deserve. (I'm speaking on what happens at my agency)
                If the guys dispatched before they went to the road I think they would give them more credit. On the other hand, as much as it should be that way people seem to forget where they came from as they climb the ladder!
                Then they wonder why they can't keep a dispatcher for more than a year.

Comment

------------------------------------
                  Last edited by Siege_101; 02-15-2016, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Never violate the traffic laws of your state and you won't find out.
                    It (the violation) could cause you problems at work. Excessive speed etc.

Comment

I am not asking for exemption from the law, I was simply asking if you would treat someone as myself the same way you would treat another officer if you had pulled him over for some minor infraction.

Yes, in my department full time dispatchers are members of the PBA, part-timers are not. Also I believe this is how it is in all of my area.
                      Dispatchers are our life line. I give courtesy to them. I've been there, I know how hard and important the job is and I respect it 100%.

It's great to hear you guys are a part of the PBA. I don't know of any around here that are members. Our dispatchers formed their own backbone and are trying to stay strong but I don't think they will keep it together for long. They don't get paid near the amount they should and it's no comparison to what the surrounding agencies make. And then the city wonders why they leave so fast to go somewhere else.

Keep up the good work. Youre in a good spot for experience and a stepping stone if you want to go to the street.

Comment

On the subject of dispatchers, I have found that they are treated like dogs in my agency. They are typically professional and also seem genuinely concerned with the officers there. But for some reason, they just a treated like crap by patrol officers. Especially from the crappiest officers.

Example: Dispatch tries to raise lazy officer who is slow dogging calls all day and now won't even answer his radio. Then when the dispatcher calls on his Sgt, the officer responds and jumps down the dispatchers throat. "I SAID I was 10-8 2 hours ago ....." Well, then why the hell didn't you answer?!?!?!

Although I have found out that dispatchers tend to look over the lazy [email protected] after a while and just call on the workers.

Anyway, back to the point: dispatchers get professional nods from me (unless DUI, but that has been covered elsewhere).

Comment

[QUOTE=28Blue21]On the subject of dispatchers, I have found that they are treated like dogs in my agency. They are typically professional and also seem genuinely concerned with the officers there. But for some reason, they just a treated like crap by patrol officers. Especially from the crappiest officers.QUOTE]

Same here Blue...it's really ashame. I find it mostly among the officers who have never 'rode the wood' and don't know what it's like. It's either them or the officer's who have dispatched and seem to have lost all memory of where they came from.
                          I do remind them if they keep jumping down the dispatchers throats for not answering, how are they supposed to know if you are being lazy or if you are rolling around with a ****head. Don't leave that up to the dispatchers. Do your job and answer the radio, it's their job to check on you if you don't. You just might be in a position to be thanking them for checking one day when it saves your ***. If your DISPATCHER doesn't know where YOU are and what YOU are doing, THEN I hope YOU and GOD are on very good terms!

Comment

---------------------
                            Last edited by Siege_101; 02-15-2016, 04:12 AM.

Comment

well, an easy way for that is, just wait till they ask were you work *is a block on the citation* most, not all, but most officers that i had stopped didnt say anything till i asked that question,,,absolutly no problem with that,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3596 users online. 169 members and 3427 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X