Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun hand v.s. Non gun hand

in relation to the "duty belt setup" thread,

do you set up your duty belt with thought to your gun hand, since it has been hammered into my head "nothing in your gun hand, nothing in your gun hand, nothing in your gun hand."
    obviously your weapon goes on your gun hand side, but what about oc, cuffs, baton? does the placement of other "tools" come into play?

Personal preference, not scientific, cuffs go in front opposite gun hand, ammo mags next to cuffs, oc behind sidearm, asp/baton opposite sidearm, gloves in back, radio behind asp/baton, flashlight in back. Extra cuffs in bag.
    Back up gun inside vest above sidearm, you need to be able to get to back up with weak hand. Am noticing most carry Taser in cross draw style, don't have one would need to expand waist to size 62 to carry any more extra crap.

Comment

Definately personal preference. I prefer gun in the correct position (right handed) with OC in front of it and handcuffs in front of that. I believe the only thing you should have in the left hand when your gun is in your right is your flashlight. You shouldn't have handcuffs, OC, Taser, etc outwhen you have your weapon drawn.

One man's opinion.
      If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Originally posted by m_chevy
        Definately personal preference. I prefer gun in the correct position (right handed) with OC in front of it and handcuffs in front of that. I believe the only thing you should have in the left hand when your gun is in your right is your flashlight. You shouldn't have handcuffs, OC, Taser, etc outwhen you have your weapon drawn.

One man's opinion.

I;m with him on this one, same as what i do, it goes with my gun hand, Gun, cuffs, asp (no oc) then my other stuff... I was taught that you will only have one out at a time (gun/handcuffs) and it has served me well so far
        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Some agencies specify what you can carry and the position. They want everybody to look "pretty" so function goes right out the window.

The idea is to keep everything away from gun hand so yopu don't reach fror flashlight etc and hold it in your gun hand. The time it takes to drop the light and grab your gun is the split second it takes to die.

Comment

I agree with Bodie. The only thing I carry on the right side of my belt is the OC close to the buckle,a 2-cell lithium light next to the OC, and then my handgun. I am able to reach the light with my reaction side hand, and if I carry anything in my gun hand it's just the license and citation on a traffic stop.
            Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

I train officers to think of their hands as weapon hand, reaction hand. Defensive tools ( firearm, asp, oc spray) need to be positioned so that either hand can reach them, but primarily your weapon hand. Other equipment, such as flashlight, mags, radio, are on the reaction side. When I gain some more weight, I'll find a spot for a canteen and messkit.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

That 175CBK knife is now in my vest. Thing in the pouch behind the radio is my Strion light. Otherwise, belt is same as shown.
                Last edited by Dash; 09-22-2005, 02:40 PM.

Comment

thats what i was wondering, it has been hammered forever, nothing in your gun hand, but you weapon, however, last yr, they started having us put our pepper spray in our gun hand, so i had mine right infront of my weapon, this was so that you didnt have of in off gun hand, gun in gun hand, and accidentally fire weapon when you ment to use oc,
                  but i have yet to see any stories of this senario happening, has anyone else,
                  basically,i had weapon, oc, baton set up for gun hand use, and everything else was set up for off gun hand use,
                  i was just curious bout everyone else. thanks all

Comment

Somebody will die with a can of pepper spray in there gun hand.
                    You can tell whoever that instructor is they are RETARDED and are going to get an officer hurt or killed.

NOTHING IN THE GUN HAND .............. Not even paper. Hold a license in that hand try dropping it and reaching the gun. The other guy will kill you before you can clear the holster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                      Somebody will die with a can of pepper spray in there gun hand.
                      You can tell whoever that instructor is they are RETARDED and are going to get an officer hurt or killed.

NOTHING IN THE GUN HAND .............. Not even paper. Hold a license in that hand try dropping it and reaching the gun. The other guy will kill you before you can clear the holster.
                      part1- thats what i thought, but the other kinda makes sense too,,dunno,,

part2- yea, i was broken of that in fto,, sucked doing push ups in an alley in full uniform then have a uniform inspection at the end of shift to make sure i was "presentable" to the public,

Comment

Notice on my gun side, I only have a Gun, and ammo. Gloves are on my rear and everything else is on the left.

Gun hand only holds a gun. Anything else will get your a fancy funeral.

Comment

see, i have never seen the mag pouch placed there before, i am a righty and i carried mine on the left, right next to the buckle, carried it laterally with the mags being pulled to the left, i have seen several in the same spot, but you have to pull up,,i didnt like pulling up, i liked pulling sideways to the left,

wearing a vest, does that not restrict your ability to reach your mags without alot of effort.

and if im seeing correctly, you have to pull towards your buckle, right,,, well what if you are laying prone, then you are on top of your mag pouch.

Comment

I took alot of things into consideration when setting up my belt. I realize I will have to pop up 4 or so inches when prone to retrieve a magazine, but that's one of those flaws that all peoples belts are going to have. I feel most comfortable with this setup and can reach everything quickly if need be.

Comment

okay,,just wonderin,,,however with my belly i would have to hand my weapon to the bad guy so i could use my gun hand to retreive an extra magazine,

but i hear ya,, my old firearms instructor used to bitch about me having my mag pouch the way i did, but like you, its the way i preferred it,,,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3913 users online. 253 members and 3660 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X