300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops And Ged's

How many of you cops, out there have ged's and many of you got ged's just to become a cop.

I did it the old fashioned way and stayed in school.
    Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

What's a GED? I know a B. Ed. is a Bachelor of Education and a PGD is a Post-graduate diploma. GED sounds familiar, but I can't think of it for the life of me.

Comment

I got my GED in 89 or 90. I was booted out of high school a few months before grad.

I had been working a full-time in a movie theatre since grade 10. I would typically not show up for a class until the afternoon, or just show up for tests. In Math 10 I carried an 88% average and failed the year due to absenteeism. After that I missed over 400 hours worth of classes until vice principal caught me and we had a little chat.

So I got my GED, took the odd course here and there that I thought would be interesting and at 30 took a 30 credit Leadership program and completed it with honours.

When I went to the RCMP training academy I was one of only three over all superiors in the troop, and two years out of training I have taken one business course and I just started another.

If I had the cash, I would jump into an accelerated Masters program.

Did I take the GED to be a cop? No, I took to move my life along.

Comment

i am sure their are plenty,

bottom line- end result, did they become good cop's.....????

www.schackdaddy.com
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
            What's a GED? I know a B. Ed. is a Bachelor of Education and a PGD is a Post-graduate diploma. GED sounds familiar, but I can't think of it for the life of me.
            General Education Degree

Comment

Graduate Equivilancy Diploma (and I am sure I didn't spell equivilancy right)
              "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I have heard...

1) General Equivalency Diploma
                2) General Education Degree
                "We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

Comment

I got a GED, did 6 years in the Navy and took some college courses. I am currently going back to school to finish my degree.

Comment

Ged

I have my GED (high-school equivalency) - something I am not at all proud of, a college diploma, and courses towards another college diploma. I was just plain stupid in highschool, and worked as opposed to attending class. I'll always regret that decision.

I'm in the midst of the recruitment process right now. I'll let you know how it pans out. I doubt it'll affect my standing, since I have a college diploma, and demonstrated a desire for continuous learning in the past 6 years of my life.

Comment

I got my GED in the beginning of 1992 and was offered a job in L.E. later that month. Although I was not looking for the job when I got my GED, I would not have been offered it if I did not have my GED.
                      Dont think of it as losing, think of it as being beat by a girl!

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop
                        i am sure their are plenty,

bottom line- end result, did they become good cop's.....????

www.schackdaddy.com

I agree with you on this topic. i know a lot of officers that have one, but will not admit to it. lol

Comment

Come on guys, tell me about your GED.

Comment

I got my GED last December to pursue a career with LASD.

I am not ashamed of it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo79
                              I got my GED last December to pursue a career with LASD.

I am not ashamed of it either.
                              '

Good for you!!! Now, keep going! Take another course while in the application process. Be a continuous learner.. because once you're a cop, you are going to be expected to take courses and to continue learning for the next 25- 30 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2875 users online. 138 members and 2737 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X