300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Blind Cop??

Im just gonna get straight to the point. I have some color blindness and was wondering if I could become a cop. And for those who don't know what color blidness is it's not like I can't see colors, it's just sometimes I don't see the same color you do. I actually talked to a representative from a police station at a Police convention and I asked her the question, can you have color blindness and become a cop? She said well as far as I know, we have a colorblind cop in our department. So if anyone can help answer my question I'd appreciate it.

As far as I know, your colorblindness isn't a DQ fault. Yuo'll be tested & if you pass, good. If you don't there are other areas of LE that you could fill besides being a cop. Good Luck

Comment

I am Red/Green colorblind and currently working as a police officer with my second agency. I had to take a colorblind test for my second dept. but it did not effect my getting hired.

Good Luck.

Comment

I think it might be for the RCMP.

Comment

Standards will vary from agency to agency. To get an idea of the basic concerns surrounding this issue check out the following document, starting at Page 47:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Vision.pdf

Good luck.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/colorbl1.htm

Here is a test.

I have red/green color blindness. I recently applied to my local LE Agency and talked to the Chief before applying and told him about the color. He called the State Police Academy. They said it would not affect my chances of being hired and shouldn't be considered as anything that should be used against me. I can see color, just not all colors. Lots of times I call a purple color, blue. Or See a burgandy vehicle and call it red. (My wife always corrects me on the colors).

Here is a good description of the condition http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...deficiency.htm

Comment

I haven't looked lately, but state police/highway patrol outfits used to tend to be more stringent about vision requirements than local departments. Color blindness was a DQ, as was uncorrected vision worse than 20/40. You probably won't have much or a problem in most local agencies.

I had a lieutenant that claimed to be totally colorblind. He once told me, "I had to find a job where all my work clothes were the same color."
              Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

My dept does not have color blindness as a automatic DQ, they do a red/green practical test. Pass that your golden.
                Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by kpd932
                  I am Red/Green colorblind and currently working as a police officer with my second agency. I had to take a colorblind test for my second dept. but it did not effect my getting hired.

Good Luck.

hows that workout for you on traffic lights?

Comment

i get color blind when I look at Spee-D's avatar. Will that DQ me?

Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

Originally posted by M.A.I
                      Im just gonna get straight to the point. I have some color blindness and was wondering if I could become a cop. And for those who don't know what color blidness is it's not like I can't see colors, it's just sometimes I don't see the same color you do. I actually talked to a representative from a police station at a Police convention and I asked her the question, can you have color blindness and become a cop? She said well as far as I know, we have a colorblind cop in our department. So if anyone can help answer my question I'd appreciate it.

I have the same thing and i have been a police officer for a while. Some departments will have a problem with it and some will not. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by safetyobc
                        http://waynesword.palomar.edu/colorbl1.htm

Here is a test.

I have red/green color blindness. I recently applied to my local LE Agency and talked to the Chief before applying and told him about the color. He called the State Police Academy. They said it would not affect my chances of being hired and shouldn't be considered as anything that should be used against me. I can see color, just not all colors. Lots of times I call a purple color, blue. Or See a burgandy vehicle and call it red. (My wife always corrects me on the colors).

Here is a good description of the condition http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...deficiency.htm

Yea, I have the red/green colorblindess and I also mistake some colors like you. Also thanks for the info.
                        Last edited by M.A.I; 09-18-2005, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSO511
                          hows that workout for you on traffic lights?

traffic lights are no problem and have never had a problem with them.

Comment

Thanks for all of your input everyone. I feel a lot better now knowing I have a very good chance of still being able to persure the career that I would really love to do.

Comment

Prior to entering an academy in Michigan, you have to take a colorblind test. A friend of mine did not pass. He cannot work as a LEO anywhere in Michigan. I am not sure about what type of colorblindness he has, but it was bad enough to DQ him.

Call some academies in your area and find out what type of test is administered, then go to an eye doctor and take the test. Shouldn't cost too much, and then you will know for sure if you can pass.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158336 users online. 133 members and 158203 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X