• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicinal Marijuana

Thoughts/Reasons?

BS

b/c I hate dope
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Great reasoning!

Any serious takers on the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
        Thoughts/Reasons?
        It's hard for me to see how our research/medical community cannot come up with something LEGAL to treat glaucoma. If it's against the law, I don't agree with prescribing it.

Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

If there MD gives the ok and its legal where they are Its ok with me.

some of those patients are on chemo its not like they are enjoying the experience like a bunch of dope addicts.

Comment

Originally posted by beano00
            It's hard for me to see how our research/medical community cannot come up with something LEGAL to treat glaucoma. If it's against the law, I don't agree with prescribing it.

Morphine is used as a painkiller in hospitals so shouldn't the same thing be applied then? What about methadone for heroin addicts?

Special K anyone?

"Given that it suppresses breathing much less so than most other available anaesthetics, ketamine is still used in human medicine as a first-choice anaesthetic for victims with unknown medical history (e.g. from traffic accidents), in podiatry and other minor surgery, and occasionally for the treatment of migraine. There is ongoing research into the drug's usefulness in pain therapy and for the treatment of alcoholism and heroin addiction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine
            Last edited by Brav989; 09-17-2005, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Legalize it

Marijuana is a substance that mildly alters your consciousness, like many legal substances (and experiences) in our country.

Viewed in the context of cigarettes and alcohol, there is no reason marijuana should be illegal in the first place.

Keeping it from the sick/infirmed is mean-spirited. One would hope the preciously limited law enforcement resources in this country would be not be aimed at medical patients looking for relief from pain...

It is the law and we are sworn to uphold it- Do your job...
              But in the 16 hours a day as a civilian, use your voice to change the law
              10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Like a lot of drugs, it has it's pro's and con's. Unfortunently today in Oregon the rules for prescribing it is too general. Definition under legal MJ is for people experiencing pain. Many have a very liberal definition of pain, and it has been prescribed for depression, for anxiety, for anything really.

I'm actually not against legalizing it on a personal level but I hate dealing with crappy freaking laws that make it hard for me to do my job.
                Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

It's a tough issue to discuss here, because people never really focus on the objective moral/ethical issues. It always becomes an argument between those who want to address the underlying logical reasons for (or against) distinguishing MJ from things like alcohol and tobacco, on principle, and those who detest MJ use, simply because it's illegal.
                  The fact of the matter is that it's currently illegal, which, to me, isn't the relevant point of discussion at all . Neither is the question of medicinal use, because the law also determines what substances may or may not legally be used for medicinal purposes. If you're sworn to uphold the law, you do it impartially, and the issue of objective moral principle doesn't come into the equation. On the other hand, EXCEPT for the issue of enforcement, the current legal status of an activity is irrelevant to the objective issue of principle. This isn't a discussion of whether or not engaging in illegal conduct is "OK", because nobody's really suggesting that it is; it's a discussion (or should be, anyway), about whether one believes, privately, that MJ "should" or "should not" be subject to criminal penalties, in the first place, on moral principle.

In that regard, I believe it is absolutely impossible to suggest any reason or justification for considering responsible, private use of MJ by adults any different, in moral or ethical principle, from the same responsible, private use of alcohol by adults.

Yes, MJ is a "gateway" substance often preceding the transition to other substances capable of abuse; but so is alcohol, and probably even more so, especially since alcohol use, more often than not, is such a common "gateway" to MJ use (among eventual MJ users, that is).

Yes, ingesting MJ before driving (or before performing any other function where less than a clear mind poses any risk to others) is a valid issue; but that's no different from the case with alcohol.

I completely understand the argument against legalized alcohol AND legalized MJ, and I also understand the argument for legalizing both, pursuant to appropriate exceptions for combining them with activities or settings that could potentially affect others. What I can't understand is the point of view that there's nothing morally wrong with choosing to drink responsibly, but that doing the same exact thing with MJ instead of alcohol is deserving of criminalization, on moral principle.

If you (now) add to that equation the fact that MJ also has some "life improvement" possibilities for those suffering from certain medical ailments (and by that I mean terminal cancer patients for whom MJ alleviates some pain, even more than glaucoma patients), I can't imagine a moral principle that justifies criminalizing (the medicinal use, in particular, of) MJ while purely "recreational" use of both alcohol and tobacco are perfectly legal.
                  Last edited by ProWriter; 09-17-2005, 04:56 PM.
                  No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

The law is just worded to openly. I often get people with scripts for it and I'll ask them what its for..: insomnia, back pain, anxiety, stress, anything really. Just BS. If you use it with a script or not I still think stoner.
                    Legality? Just legalize that crap, our resources should be focused in other areas.
                    ..life is what it is...

Comment

Medicinal Mari

dated material
                      Last edited by nypdauxsgt; 12-12-2005, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Great reasoning!

How about you? You haven't told us your take on the issue as of yet..

Comment

Originally posted by nypdauxsgt
                          There are cannabinoids in the pipeline for development. The term Cannabinoid refers to molecules derived from Cannibus sativa, thus it can be in the form of Delta Nine Tetrohydrocannabinol, or can be a man made deriviative such as HU-210. That being said, there are cannbinoids in the pipeline as we speak, that are in clinical trials for a number of alements associated with pain. Canada has already approved a CB1 cannabinoid receptor agonist (a form of THC) for use as an oral spray for the treatment of pain associated with MS (marketed by GW Pharma).
                          There are also clinical trials going on that are studying the effect of CB1 receptor ANTAGONISTS, such as SR141716A,(also called "rimonabant") in blocking nicotine addiction and for reducing the consumption of food (diet purposes). So, in time, there will not be a need for "medicinal marijuana" or marjiuana that you smoke to get a therapeutic effect. At some point there will be a pill/IV/oral spray. Medicinal Marijuana radicals are usually people who have no clue about the medicinal component of marijuana and are only concerned with smoking the stuff recreationally. So I wouldn't pay them any mind. The term "medicinal marijuana" will be a term of the past, just like "medicinal opium", as scientist continue to make breakthroughs that will further their and our understanding of cannabinoid pharmacology and may eventually employed in the clinic for the treatment of chronic pain.
                          That being said there are a number of other drugs, non-cannabinergic, that more practical and efficacious for chronic pain treatment such as GABAPENTIN. Also a number of Selective cytokine inhibitors are in the works, so these are exciting times for the development of therapeutics. I expect that physicians will eventually move away from opioids (and cannabinergics) as more drugs (with different mechanisms of actions) become available. There..my two cents! PS one day I will care enough to check spelling, but until that day arrives..live with it!
                          Exactly how many legitimate "medicinal" uses are there for beer, whiskey, and rum? What, in your mind justifies the criminal status of NON-medicinal, private, responsible use of MJ by adults, in the first place? Just curious.
                          No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I would not have a problem with it being used MEDICALLY...as prescribed by a DOCTOR.......

I think it should be available for doctors just like morphene and other restricted substances. That is assuming it actually does work medicinally as I have always heard.

But...as others have said....if it's illegal...I'll write the pinch
                            An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                              I would not have a problem with it being used MEDICALLY...as prescribed by a DOCTOR.......I think it should be available for doctors just like morphene and other restricted substances. That is assuming it actually does work medicinally as I have always heard. But...as others have said....if it's illegal...I'll write the pinch
                              No argument there. My question is whether you think it should be treated and legislated any differently than alcohol, and if so, why?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3024 users online. 151 members and 2873 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X