Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some feedback on weapons carrying options.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some feedback on weapons carrying options.

I need some feedback from those in the profession, either police or probation, or any branch of law enforcement, on officer safety issues in regards to carrying a firearm concealed or in the open.

A little background. I am a weapons carrying probation officer. As part of our firearms procedure, we must wear a full duty belt, with OC spray, baton, handcuffs, pistol, magazine cases, radio, etc, in addition to body armor, if we elect to carry a firearm. On top of that, our policy then requires us to conceal our weapon (dont ask me why), with either a shirt or jacket over the duty belt and badge.

I am trying to get the administration to change their position on carrying concealed, and so I need some professionals' feedback on the pros and cons of carrying concealed. I also have to argue both sides of the issue come up with pros and cons of carrying in the open as well.

Any help would be appreciated, or if you need me to clarify anything, please let me know. Thanks.

Let me get this straight ( cover your badge and gun with your Shirt or Jacket ). That is retarded who comes up with such stupid policies? Here in Georgia , Probation Officers are Law Enforcement Officers and have full arrest powers and they do not have to hide anything. Good luck I hope you suceed !
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

Comment

i thought that arizona had open carry laws. even for civis.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
        i thought that arizona had open carry laws. even for civis.

I thought so too...

You'll have perform some research to fully qualify what you want to do, why and what is "normal" practice for similar agencies...

check with neighboring county probation policies, check with your state's laws that may have some special wording / provisions for Probation Officers (If you check under the CA Penal Code, there is a major break down of who can do what and what training they need in order to qualify, etc.), check with a few departments (police) in your area for their policies and check with out of area probation departments of a similar size / duties.

In CA for instance, those probation officers that can carry a weapon, carry concealed in regular "plain" clothes along with their badge on their belt, a small canister of OC and handcuffs.

When going to do a probation search, the only difference is they wear a readily identificable jacket, i.e. raid jacket with words "Probation Officer" on the front and back...

Perhaps suggest that concealed carry in a Department approved holster(s) - as in it has to have a thumbbreak or other locking device along with the other needed equipment such as small version of OC, handcuffs, one (or two) magazine holders, on the belt line only (no shoulder holsters) carried with the badge on the belt too AND a requirement that the armed personnel will wear one of those jackets (like Hidden Agenda) where you can pull out the labels to read "Probation Officer" etc.... Radios are regular carry anyway right?... Add the radio too.

Develop a "DRAFT" policy on who may carry while on duty, how they qualify to be armed, a training and range policy, the "use / levels of force" and more importantly, an Officer involved Shooting Protocol. (you'll need to speak to the neighboring agencies, the Sheriff and the area District Attorney's office on this).
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

i cant fathom anyone saying that if you are on duty you cant carry your weapon in a "normal" fashion, hell, the whole point of having it is easy access, doesnt do you alot of good to defend yourself after having to dig past your coat and shirt. crap, as far as officers are concerned, acting is reactive, seems that is poor officer safety...

Comment

Concealed?

Originally posted by ianzona
            As part of our firearms procedure, we must wear a full duty belt, with OC spray, baton, handcuffs, pistol, magazine cases, radio, etc, in addition to body armor, if we elect to carry a firearm. On top of that, our policy then requires us to conceal our weapon (dont ask me why), with either a shirt or jacket over the duty belt and badge.
            How on earth can you conceal a duty belt with baton, magazine cases, radio, etc.? Do you wear a parka?

Comment

Guys, it's really a strange deal here. The Probation officers state wide have just been allowed to train and carry. I've been an AZ cop for years and I feel the same way you all feel about this subject.

It's really an admin decision that is decided at the individual county level. We have 15 counties here and you MAY find 15 sets of admin rules regarding weapons carry, or this could be a statewide decision made by guys in Phoenix, who've never been bruised in battle.

They're dealing with chief officers who have limited patrol experience. Some of our chief and assist. chief probation officers MIGHT have from some experience as cops, but mostly as admin pogues who never belonged in the trenches anyway. Some of these chief officers have NEVER been cops at all. They simply don't understand the real job . . . you know, there is the philosophy and then there is the ugly truth.

So, to answer inazona's question;

Check out equipment like Blackhawk's CQC SERPA holster. These have an excellent retention device. Talk with Blade-Tech and inquire about special equipment for carrying your O.C., flashlights, cuffs etc.

Talk with your local cops who work plain clothes daily, see what they carry by way of holsters etc.. Talk with your local D/T instructors an solicit recommendations from them. Get your ducks in a row and talk with your supervisor about presenting your ideas to the brass. Compile your data and make your presentation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4819 users online. 293 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X