300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pushups

I've been trying to get my pushup count up to a decent number. What do you think is the most effective or the quickest way to increase your number of reps? Most of the people I have talked to have said that the best way is to just do as many as you can as many times a day as possible. I'm just looking for some input. Would you say this is the most effective way?
    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil."

Romans 13:4

I would post that question in the work-out forum..

good luck!
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by R00tBreaker
      I've been trying to get my pushup count up to a decent number. What do you think is the most effective or the quickest way to increase your number of reps? Most of the people I have talked to have said that the best way is to just do as many as you can as many times a day as possible. I'm just looking for some input. Would you say this is the most effective way?
      go into the fitness/health forum and look for the "damn pushups" thread there is a pyramid program and try that.

Comment

the best way to improve your pushups, is to not only work on push ups but to do excercises that work the same muscles such as bench press or any exercise that hits triceps or pecs.

Comment

Originally posted by R00tBreaker
          agreed, look in the fitness forum, but here is a quick answer, if you work the same muscle group daily to failure, then it will never repair itself, thus you wont get any gains,.

Comment

another way to gain reps on pushups is to place a free-weight on your back while you are doing them. Start light and go up.

Comment

One of the best ways to build your push-ups fast is to start out doing about 30. take a 2 min. break and then do 29. take a 2 min. break and so-on all the way down to 20. Do this every day for 6 days, then take a day off. Do this for 3 weeks. You will notice a big increase when you go to do a PT test. One thing to remember is to take at least 2 days off before you do a PT test.
              This is I built my push-ups up when I was in Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer Training.
              Best of luck!

"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE"
              You have to go out, but you don't have to come back!!

Coming to a CRACK HOUSE NEAR YOU!!!!!

Comment

all these are great little tidbits of input...
                however, THE most effective pushups program is of the nature posted in the fitness forum...
                i posted that info there, i guess ill just post it here too seeing as most people will view this more.

Originally posted by VAsteve20
                ok brother, im in your position as well...
                however we were in the front lean and rest position for a minute...
                everytime someone put their *** in the air we held it for another 20 seconds or so...
                it was pathetic in my opinion... but hey... i dont want to get onto this subject of classmates that are not fit enough for this academy and make us prepared folks pay hard...
                oh well, i dont mind being paid to work out so whatever...

also my goal is 100 pushups to failure in 2 minutes time before the end of the academy, im currently at 64 in about a minute and 20 seconds, i could have pushed it further to 70, but i didnt want to kill myself because we still had a 1.5mile run to attack.

some pushup advice: do pyramid sets of pushups...
                for instance here is your pyramid

so basically i looks like this.
                Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps
                Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
                Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
                Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
                Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
                Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

then start going back down the pyramid...
                Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
                Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
                Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)
                Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
                Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps

make sense?

Comment

how critical is the pull ups,,,i never have been able to do pullups,,

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                    how critical is the pull ups,,,i never have been able to do pullups,,
                    pull-ups are one of those things you dont know how important they are untill you cant do one when you need to. granted, being in the "heat of the moment" can help, but its not always reliable. i would highly recamend that you start a work out for pull-ups.
                    the first time you have to pull yourself up and over a 6'+ fence, you'll thank yourself.
                    just my 2 cents

"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE"
                    You have to go out, but you don't have to come back!!

Coming to a CRACK HOUSE NEAR YOU!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quallze
                      pull-ups are one of those things you dont know how important they are untill you cant do one when you need to. granted, being in the "heat of the moment" can help, but its not always reliable. i would highly recamend that you start a work out for pull-ups.
                      the first time you have to pull yourself up and over a 6'+ fence, you'll thank yourself.
                      just my 2 cents
                      oh i can scale a fence no problem,,i applied down in tx 1 1/2 yrs ago and i had the fastest time on the obst, course, plus i have never had a problem keeping up with a foot chase no matter where they went, i have been outlegged a couple times,
                      but just regular pullups in the gym,,,cant do it,,,dont know why, bench good, squat good, curls good, shoulders good, back good,,just cant do em,,,i think i just cant hold still, if someone spots me, just puts a hand on my ankles i can do them, but other wise, i cant.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3703 users online. 167 members and 3536 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X