300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "becoming" a cop... What others think

Initially, my mom hated the idea of me becoming a cop for obvious reasons... but later understood that its what im really interested in. Im only a police cadet right now however I have the identical uniform but a slightly smaller badge and no duty gear ofcourse:P. I have noticed my close friends are quite interested in what im doing, and some want to pursue it themselves. A lot of people that I mention what im doing Say "oh your gonna be a pig" some joking and I think some are serious, but I never let it get to me. These people arent anyone id be taking advice from anyways:P I have noticed the reaction I get when im going somewhere on duty, alot of people give you dirty looks and on the other hand alot of people strike up conversations and show an impressive amount of respect, this is what I expected but its almost a shock at how different people treat you. I guess the truth is you do have to have "thick skin" to be a cop. However even tho im getting these reactions it is in no way shape or form dettering me from what I want to be. just my 2 cents. And have any of you officers out there dealt with extreme reactions? I have personally witnessed people just blatantly flip off cops because they are drunk and being ignorant, but, never let it get to them(or at least look like it).

Dont worry, i get the same reaction from friends and family and im sure there are other people on the board that feel the same and are going through similar experiences. My parents support me in what ever I want to do as a career, but i know they dont like the idea of me wanting to get into law enforcement, but i know they will be behind me.

Im in the same ball park, alot of my friends are really interested in what im doing and take a interest in what im doing, but also there is that great precentage of like, "oh man your gonna be a pig", in a friendly funny way, sometimes serious. I dont take it seriously. It actually makes me want to get into this career even more and to prove them wrong, that this profession can be rewarding for me and i want to change that image in their minds about police officers, cause ive read here, listened to actual stories and that alot of people are blinded by the real truth. But just dont want to accept it.

I was recently called into jury duty about a drug case. When selected, i was interviewed in front of everyone. I mentioned im set to major in Criminal Justice and the judge has a smile on her face and asked me what i wanted to do with that degree and i told her i wanted to be a police officer...and of course, the defense looked at me weird (hahaha) and i got dismissed cause they didnt want me as a juror. On the way out, the 3 police officers on the door had smiles on their faces and all shook my hand and said "good luck to you". That made my day.

What im trying to say is..your not alone. Good luck to you!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

You're probably going to get identical posts from everyone. I've had two brothers standing together: one was interested in my job and wanted to know how he could be a cop, the other would have probably shot me if he thought he could get away with it right then and there. Good luck with the academy.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by edg103
        You're probably going to get identical posts from everyone. I've had two brothers standing together: one was interested in my job and wanted to know how he could be a cop, the other would have probably shot me if he thought he could get away with it right then and there. Good luck with the academy.

LOL, same here.. funny thing is at every family function I get "so did you lockup your brother yet" blah blah

we have all been there.

Comment

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!
          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Now you'll see who your REAL friends are! . Don't let it bother you. Everyone's gone through it, LEOs always will & just remember--you'll be doing & seeing things they only wished they could. GOOD LUCK

Comment

If you are any thing like me before I was in law enforcement I had friends from all walks of life. When you become a cop some will fall by waistsides, the others you will have to push. Either way they will dissapear and most of the friends that you acquire will be cops also. They are the only ones who understand.

Comment

Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 05:52 AM.

Comment

I was born and raised around law enforcement (my father is retired LEO, and most of the family friends are/were LEO's). My mom hates the idea of me leaving my present career, and schooling to get into this, but she's slowly coming around. Dad also didn't want me to enter law enforcement, he wanted me to be a Paramedic, but with some influence from some of his fellow officers, they have pursuaded him to stand by me and help me whenever possible. Many of my friends (fire/ems workers) have taken great interest in my steps to get into the academy, and want to know what its like. A few have given the "If I were ten years younger" excuse. I worked corrections for 2 years on a PT basis, and learned that I really enjoyed the type of work. I also ran into two types of people, ones who were interested in conversing with you, and finding out about what you do, and others that would prefer to give you the "birdie" and continue on their merry ways. Some individuals have the reaction on "so you want to be a pig", and "all you want is the power". To them I just shake my head and continue on my way, constantly building myself up for the academy, and the lifestyle that will hopefully follow the academy. Good luck with the future endevors, as I know you, myself, and others like us will need it.

Comment

What others think

When everything is said and done, it's going to be your decision, and no one else's. Most parents that I've known of, including mine, were less than thrilled when the announcement was made that a child of theirs wanted to be a cop. Be prepared for some flak. As far as people's reactions are concerned, don't give it a second thought. If this is what you want to do, keep at it. If, later, down the line, you decide it isn't for you, there's no dishonor in that. Simply let it be your decision.

Comment

Honestly, the only non-cop friends I've got are the ones I had before I came in the Air Force. I don't have time to really meet anyone not on the job here.

As for family, they'll come around but still worry. My folks WERE NOT happy with the fact that I wanted to go into law enforcement, but now two years into my time in service and my end of service (and transitioning into civillian LE, in New York, not Alabama where my 'rents are from) they couldn't be prouder...
                      "The world isn't as it should be. It's harsh. And it's cruel. That's why there's us. Champions. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."-Angel Season 4

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4063 users online. 163 members and 3900 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X