X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Thanks Spee-Dee, that cleared stuff up.
    Now I know what you're talking about. I guess its that sticker on their windshield people point to when I give them a "talk" about doing something completely moronic on the road, and I'm like "a sticker? So what?"

Leave a comment:

• Spee-Dee
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    Erm, maybe I'm stupid, I know you said what PBA stands for but what does having a card mean? I mean, like what do you do with it?
    Try to bribe your way out of a ticket.

I know very little about them, but this is everything that my book mentions about them and using them for such purposes as getting out of tickets.

Originally posted by A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets

Police Benevolent Associations exist for almost every police agency. Some are just what they appear to be; a fraternal organization dedicated to its members well-being. In most of the other cases, they are unions, organized labor, nothing more and nothing less. They charge dues and supply union type benefits for their members. They often are the sole negotiators of police contracts and the represent their members in contract grievances.

To increase their positive cash flow, they sell "honorary" memberships in their organizations. For your donation you will usually receive a decal to put on your car window and a membership card for your wallet or purse. The card will ask "any officer to extend to the holder every courtesy..." It is also a good bet that you will end up on the mailing lists of other similar cop organizations. A year later you can be certain that the PBA will send you a reminder that your card has expired and they will require payment for the renewal of your "honorary" membership. The only thing being honored is the almighty dollar. As for the cop "extending every courtesy," that is exactly what a large portion of a cop's job is! He is paid to help people.

Naturally, you will be under the mistaken impression the decal and card will help you get out of a ticket. Notice the exact words I used were "mistaken impression." Let's be honest. Everyone knows what you are trying to purchase. Would you give a yearly donation to Teamster's Union if they promised you a decal and courtesy card? If the cop just sent you a thank-you letter but no decal or card, would you be so anxious to part with your money?

It boils down to this: will the police officer who stops you, let you go because you gave money to a police union? Keep in mind that his union is probably not even the same one that got your donation. Would a union carpenter reduce his bill for you if he knew you had donated money to a steamfitter's union?

Sure, it is possible that the card in your hand will keep the speeding ticket from being written. It is just as likely it will guarantee you'll get a ticket! Let me explain. Police unions, like all other unions, have members who are happy with the union's actions and members who are not. If you were pulled over by a PBA delegate (the officer representative, like a shop steward), then chances are he might be inclined to let you go. If you were pulled over bt someone who was not happy with the last contract, or recently lost a contract dispute, the "honorary" card might have the opposite effect. For the majority of cops, the attitude they have when you present them with the card is: "Does this SOB think he can buy his way out if this ticket?!" This attitude is reinforced every time someone gets pulled over and starts waving a handful of courtesy cards representing different PBAs in the cop's face.

Cop unions and PBAs do a lot of good work and have been tremendous assistance when officers have faced false accusations and law suits. If you feel it is the right thing to do, by all means help these organizations. I just don't recommend you display the card when you are stopped. As far as the decal on the window is concerned, it could help and it could hurt. You will have to make your own decision but it never helped anyone I pulled over.

There is an exception to every rule. A "PBA" card will often work if when handed to the cop, the driver mentions he was given the card by a good friend, Officer _____. This gives the cop a different outlook on the whole matter. You are no longer trying to bribe your way out of a ticket. You have become the friend of some fellow officer who is saying, "This is my friend. Don't paper him."
    I don't know. I think the whole PBA and name dropping thing is a load of crap. Personally, if I were a cop and someone I knew got pulled over and started using my name to get out of tickets I'd be mad. I wouldn't want to look like one of those cops who tells people to use my name whenever you pulled over.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    Erm, maybe I'm stupid, I know you said what PBA stands for but what does having a card mean? I mean, like what do you do with it?
    Use it to try to get out of traffic tickets...

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    Since when is speeding a misdemeanor or felony?
    In Indiana, speeding is a crime if it is 25 MPH (or more) over the posted limit. Dangerously cutting one off could be considered criminal recklessness.

Leave a comment:

• SWH
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    Some would argue that the PBA card was used in the commision of a crime.
    Since when is speeding a misdemeanor or felony?

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    Did you miss the IN NEW YORK I very clearly put in my post? IN NEW YORK I do not have any legal authority to take something that is 1.)not mine 2.)is not stolen property 3.)was not used in the commission of a crime 4.)I do not have express permission to take by the one currently in possession. Would an PO actually get charged with larceny? Of course not. However that doesn't give me the right to take something that isn't mine.

Some would argue that the PBA card was used in the commision of a crime.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    More than 5 years, what's your point?
    I don

Leave a comment:

• Spee-Dee
    replied
    Originally posted by WTPD3534
    He can't assess you points, as was said before only the DMV can do that. He was saying that just to scare you.

As for this:

No he has not committed a felony. We are supposed to take PBA/FOP cards when someone is stopped and return them to the lodge from which the originated. It says right on the back of the card that it is only valid so long as you obey the rules of the road.
    Does it really say that specifically? So basically, you get pulled over, hand Officer Neckvein your PBA card while casually mentioning that so and so gave it to you, and you get away scott-free? Tell me honestly, there must be a better use for a PBA card. As nice as it is to get away with a warning, I don't think I could even bring myself to trying to use such tactics to get one.

Leave a comment:

• SWH
    replied
    Originally posted by WTPD3534
    He can't assess you points, as was said before only the DMV can do that. He was saying that just to scare you.

As for this:

No he has not committed a felony. We are supposed to take PBA/FOP cards when someone is stopped and return them to the lodge from which the originated. It says right on the back of the card that it is only valid so long as you obey the rules of the road.
    Did you miss the IN NEW YORK I very clearly put in my post? IN NEW YORK I do not have any legal authority to take something that is 1.)not mine 2.)is not stolen property 3.)was not used in the commission of a crime 4.)I do not have express permission to take by the one currently in possession. Would an PO actually get charged with larceny? Of course not. However that doesn't give me the right to take something that isn't mine.

Leave a comment:

• SWH
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    How long have you been an officer?
    More than 5 years, what's your point?

Leave a comment:

• FJM-Bladerunner
    replied
    Moving Violation

Thank you all for your kind and truthful responses.

I am very grateful to the officer for his kindness in this case, and will be a very defensive driver in the future.

Regards.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    He can't assess violation points against you, only the DMV can after being found guilty in a court of law, so he lied to you about that. Secondly, by taking something that he had no right to take (the PBA card), he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
    How long have you been an officer?

Leave a comment:

• WTPD3534
    replied

As for this:

he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.

Leave a comment:

• Spee-Dee
    replied
    Originally posted by beano00
    What's a PBA card? The only PBA I know of is the Professional Bowlers Association.

PBA = Police Benevolent Associations

You can get them either by becoming an "honary member" by donating money to them or by getting one from a relative who works in LE.

I don't have one though. I don't even know if we have those in Canada. I only know about them because they're mentioned in my book that I mentioned in earlier posts.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2221 users online. 166 members and 2055 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X