300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark7777
    yea thats true east rochester and fairport are known for that.
    and SOME people here have been known to get tickets just for Jaywalking a bike across a road in Brighton *rolls eyes*
    I'd at least expect Brighton to have better things to do, no offense to anyone here.
    ER sometimes wanders over here, but they can't do anything.
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
      and SOME people here have been known to get tickets just for Jaywalking a bike across a road in Brighton *rolls eyes*
      I'd at least expect Brighton to have better things to do, no offense to anyone here.
      ER sometimes wanders over here, but they can't do anything.
      a judge with some common sense would dismiss a ticket for that lol.. brighton town court must be lacking for business.

Comment

NJ doesn't have a lock on pc. We here in the West, Ca. specifically, have plenty that practice that.

I always figured if I could give a warning to a civilian, I could damn well give one to another officer or relative of one. That went for fire also.

Of course, I never had a relative of a leo ever give me an attitude or thankfully do something like 75 in a 40. Generally, they were polite (as I'm sure they were instructed to do, just like I did with my kids) and the violation was minor.

Then again, there are those I worked with that would literally cite their own mother.

Comment

PBA cards

I think some clarification needs to be made here. A PBA card is not the same as a window decal that you get when you make a donation. It is a business card with the officers name and department on it. It is personally handed to the holder, not purchased. And, as I said, it is given to whomever I choose to give it to. I give it to people that I know personally, not just someone who says they buy tickets to the policemans ball. Oh yeah, some of you new guys don't know what a policemans ball is either. You guys with only a few years of small town policing under your belt would do well to talk to the more experienced officers about how to build up trust in your community. If you pulled over a violator then realized that it was a relative of a fellow officer and the offense wasn't that serious, you wouldn't cut some slack? Puhleeze. There is a something in law enforcement called "tradition." Something that generation X knows little about apparently.
          Jerry
          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
            I think some clarification needs to be made here. A PBA card is not the same as a window decal that you get when you make a donation. It is a business card with the officers name and department on it. It is personally handed to the holder, not purchased. And, as I said, it is given to whomever I choose to give it to. I give it to people that I know personally, not just someone who says they buy tickets to the policemans ball. Oh yeah, some of you new guys don't know what a policemans ball is either. You guys with only a few years of small town policing under your belt would do well to talk to the more experienced officers about how to build up trust in your community. If you pulled over a violator then realized that it was a relative of a fellow officer and the offense wasn't that serious, you wouldn't cut some slack? Puhleeze. There is a something in law enforcement called "tradition." Something that generation X knows little about apparently.
            I just don't think that it is something to be expected or asked for. As far as "professional courtesy" goes for me, all I'd like is to have the officer take his/her time while writing the ticket and spell my name correctly on it. Of course warnings are just as good, but I don't expect them. I don't start telling police who I am when they pull me over. (I rely on them recognizing me as the girl talking to one of their fellow officers in Tim Hortons. Some of them recognize me, and some of them don't. No big deal.) Although, I believe I fall under the extended family in-laws, if there is such a category.
            Last edited by Spee-Dee; 09-13-2005, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
              I just don't think that it is something to be expected or asked for. As far as "professional courtesy" goes for me, all I'd like is to have the officer take his/her time while writing the ticket and spell my name correctly on it. Of course warnings are just as good, but I don't expect them. I don't start telling police who I am when they pull me over. (I rely on them recognizing me as the girl talking to one of their fellow officers in Tim Hortons. Some of them recognize me, and some of them don't. No big deal.) Although, I believe I fall under the extended family in-laws, if there is such a category.
              SpeeDee, I'm sure that recognition goes a long way in determining how you are treated. And I do think that your association with officers counts as family. There are other populations that I also give extra consideration to, and that includes, nurses, firefighters and waitresses who handle my food. Seriously though, I've never let name dropping deter me from handling a serious offense. I just feel that we have discretion in certain areas and this goes a long way to maintaining good will. I wonder how many officers here have NEVER flashed their badge to either avoid a ticket or establish credibility when off duty. Or how many are going to fib about that.
              Jerry

Comment

Doesn

Comment

[QUOTE=hermit]Doesn

Comment

Will you give it up, No matter what your job is your going to help out your friends PERIOD. Thats the way of life and it will never change it just happens that your not close friends/family with a cop so you don't like it. Get over it there are plenty of perks in the world I don't recieve and you don't see me crying about it.

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                    I believe it goes against the "immpartial policing" attitude that is required by most agencies.

According to the preparatory guide for the RCMP Regular Mmember Selection Interview is states about honesty and integrity

I don't like to think of it as "professional courtesy." I like to think of it as "police discretion."

Comment

[QUOTE=hermit]Doesn
                      Jerry

Comment

I've learned over the years that the people who complain about PC and officer discretion are the first people to complain when THEY receive a ticket. They also complain when they see police eating lunch by making such comments as "shouldn't you be out working!?" But then if we're writing them a ticket it's "don't you have anything better to do!?".

Basically these type of people will ALWAYS find something that we do as wrong so there really is no debating with them.

As Dvsmnstr said everyone has different perks to different jobs. No matter how "impartial" you think we should be, cops are only human beings just like everyone else. It's naiive and unrealistic to think that a police officer would not give extra consideration to a friend or someone who he/she knows. If you don't like that then there is nothing else to tell you because that is human nature and it will never change.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                          So, this guy isn't the typical NY cop?
                          WTPD, what the hell are you talking about 'red flag'?

Oh, and what's a cime?

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
                            it just happens that your not close friends/family with a cop so you don't like it.

Excuse me?! Obviously you haven't read any of my earlier posts. Because I know most people here get annoyed with me rambling on about my tickets and what not, rather than re-tell the story, I'll redirect him to it.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34189 (I added paragraphs to it too. Makes it a little easier on the eyes now.)

I don't really give two hoots about the police in the coffee shop. I've come to accept my tickets. I'm not against police giving preferable treatment to their friends and family members, I'm against their friends and family members for expecting and even asking for it.

I don't give my friends discounts at my job. I'm forced to send my friends to a different cashier if they come through my line. When I worked at a video store, I didn't give my friends free rentals or delete their late charges.
                            Last edited by Spee-Dee; 09-13-2005, 06:05 PM.

Comment

yea thats true east rochester and fairport are known for that.
                              yep, one sgt. and one officer at a time. In the late moring the chief's your back-up. The villages have to make money for the few suped up marked cars they have, while having to pay for the chief's.

Comment

a judge with some common sense would dismiss a ticket for that lol.. brighton town court must be lacking for business.
                                Very lacking...
                                Soon they'll probably be taking people in for dog leash violations
                                Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3851 users online. 260 members and 3591 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X