X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    Originally posted by Spee-Dee
    I just don't think that it is something to be expected or asked for. As far as "professional courtesy" goes for me, all I'd like is to have the officer take his/her time while writing the ticket and spell my name correctly on it. Of course warnings are just as good, but I don't expect them. I don't start telling police who I am when they pull me over. (I rely on them recognizing me as the girl talking to one of their fellow officers in Tim Hortons. Some of them recognize me, and some of them don't. No big deal.) Although, I believe I fall under the extended family in-laws, if there is such a category.
    SpeeDee, I'm sure that recognition goes a long way in determining how you are treated. And I do think that your association with officers counts as family. There are other populations that I also give extra consideration to, and that includes, nurses, firefighters and waitresses who handle my food. Seriously though, I've never let name dropping deter me from handling a serious offense. I just feel that we have discretion in certain areas and this goes a long way to maintaining good will. I wonder how many officers here have NEVER flashed their badge to either avoid a ticket or establish credibility when off duty. Or how many are going to fib about that.

Leave a comment:

• Spee-Dee
    replied
    Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
    I think some clarification needs to be made here. A PBA card is not the same as a window decal that you get when you make a donation. It is a business card with the officers name and department on it. It is personally handed to the holder, not purchased. And, as I said, it is given to whomever I choose to give it to. I give it to people that I know personally, not just someone who says they buy tickets to the policemans ball. Oh yeah, some of you new guys don't know what a policemans ball is either. You guys with only a few years of small town policing under your belt would do well to talk to the more experienced officers about how to build up trust in your community. If you pulled over a violator then realized that it was a relative of a fellow officer and the offense wasn't that serious, you wouldn't cut some slack? Puhleeze. There is a something in law enforcement called "tradition." Something that generation X knows little about apparently.
    I just don't think that it is something to be expected or asked for. As far as "professional courtesy" goes for me, all I'd like is to have the officer take his/her time while writing the ticket and spell my name correctly on it. Of course warnings are just as good, but I don't expect them. I don't start telling police who I am when they pull me over. (I rely on them recognizing me as the girl talking to one of their fellow officers in Tim Hortons. Some of them recognize me, and some of them don't. No big deal.) Although, I believe I fall under the extended family in-laws, if there is such a category.
    Last edited by Spee-Dee; 09-13-2005, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    PBA cards

I think some clarification needs to be made here. A PBA card is not the same as a window decal that you get when you make a donation. It is a business card with the officers name and department on it. It is personally handed to the holder, not purchased. And, as I said, it is given to whomever I choose to give it to. I give it to people that I know personally, not just someone who says they buy tickets to the policemans ball. Oh yeah, some of you new guys don't know what a policemans ball is either. You guys with only a few years of small town policing under your belt would do well to talk to the more experienced officers about how to build up trust in your community. If you pulled over a violator then realized that it was a relative of a fellow officer and the offense wasn't that serious, you wouldn't cut some slack? Puhleeze. There is a something in law enforcement called "tradition." Something that generation X knows little about apparently.

Leave a comment:

• tan/grn
    replied
    NJ doesn't have a lock on pc. We here in the West, Ca. specifically, have plenty that practice that.

I always figured if I could give a warning to a civilian, I could damn well give one to another officer or relative of one. That went for fire also.

Of course, I never had a relative of a leo ever give me an attitude or thankfully do something like 75 in a 40. Generally, they were polite (as I'm sure they were instructed to do, just like I did with my kids) and the violation was minor.

Then again, there are those I worked with that would literally cite their own mother.

Leave a comment:

• mark7777
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    and SOME people here have been known to get tickets just for Jaywalking a bike across a road in Brighton *rolls eyes*
    I'd at least expect Brighton to have better things to do, no offense to anyone here.
    ER sometimes wanders over here, but they can't do anything.
    a judge with some common sense would dismiss a ticket for that lol.. brighton town court must be lacking for business.

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Originally posted by mark7777
    yea thats true east rochester and fairport are known for that.
    and SOME people here have been known to get tickets just for Jaywalking a bike across a road in Brighton *rolls eyes*
    I'd at least expect Brighton to have better things to do, no offense to anyone here.
    ER sometimes wanders over here, but they can't do anything.

Leave a comment:

• mark7777
    replied
    Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
    Traffic enforcement units are becoming ever so popular with munincipal pd and so's. In this day in age where I live, you are not going to get stopped unless you are commiting major violations or if it is between 0400 to 0600 hrs. and there is nothing else better to do. However those small village pd's are strict when it comes to moving violations.
    yea thats true east rochester and fairport are known for that.

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Originally posted by haus409
    He gave me his last name and I recognized it as the name of a deputy that was killed in my county a couple of years prior. The kid turned out to be the deputy's son and he didn't say a word.
    Well, when IS a good time to bring it up?

Leave a comment:

• AmericanMan
    replied
    Originally posted by mark7777
    I know the officers that work in my area we see each other all day long. They are very busy going from one service call to another so If someone does something to even catch their attention traffic wise the chance for a handshake and drive safe is slim to none here.For them to do a traffic stop means they are deleying response to a call.They do have a Traffic enforcement unit that spends their entire shift doing nothing but writing traffic you might have a chance with them.
    why should a family member get a break on a ticket because a family member is a cop? lol the officer should tell them to learn how to drive and they will not get pulled over.
    so if you stopped joe blow doing 75 in a 40 your gonna say hey thats a cool PBA card from your uncle have a nice day drive safe?
    If family members drive like there supposed to they would not need to think of ways to get out of tickets lol.
    Traffic enforcement units are becoming ever so popular with munincipal pd and so's. In this day in age where I live, you are not going to get stopped unless you are commiting major violations or if it is between 0400 to 0600 hrs. and there is nothing else better to do. However those small village pd's are strict when it comes to moving violations.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by SWH
    He can't assess violation points against you, only the DMV can after being found guilty in a court of law, so he lied to you about that. Secondly, by taking something that he had no right to take (the PBA card), he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
    So, this guy isn't the typical NY cop?
    Last edited by Tennsix; 09-12-2005, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    Originally posted by dvsmnstr
    gotthblues, I hear what your saying but usally if someone gives us a hard time about stopping them waving a pba card in front of us, we are taking that card, writing the ticket and calling the officer(holder of the card). So it's not a get out of jail free card, just a (i'm usally a good driver please cut me a break) card.
    thats kinda what i thought it was, if it has the officers info on it, i like that idea, cause you can call them *as you said* i have called officers, and told them that i had their kid, wife, whatever the case and explained the stop, ex. i stopped a trprs son, something like 80 in 55, he told me to doctor his ***, i have also done that for friends, like a former teacher once, he was a real great guy, real down to earth and honest, same thing, his son was doing around 70 in 35, he also said to doctor him and keep him there, shortly after mommy and daddy showd up, momma beat his 17yr old *** infront of his friends and daddy took the car away. so i have been "guilty" of pc to non officers, but it usually worked in my favor, but i have still been burned doing it. but i would still be learie of giving the card to extd family or friends....but it seems to be an okay thing,

Leave a comment:

• dvsmnstr
    replied
    gotthblues, I hear what your saying but usally if someone gives us a hard time about stopping them waving a pba card in front of us, we are taking that card, writing the ticket and calling the officer(holder of the card). So it's not a get out of jail free card, just a (i'm usally a good driver please cut me a break) card.

Originally posted by gotthblues
    while i agree with some points made here, i disagree with others, and this is the first i have heard of a pba card, we had a small sticker that we could put on our spouses or childs car, but why would you give a "get off free card" to extended family or friends. they dont get crap for being family or friend of an officer, not like your spouse or child will. you cant controll the friend or ext. family driving behavior like you can your spouse or child, i just seems to me like a bad idea, because you can really end up lookin like an ***.
    i agree with giving pc to family *spouse or child* because unfair to them, they often get the bad things that come alnog with this job, but others dont. as for "supporter stickers or cards" *i gave $ to the police*, who cares, i would say that about 90% of people do so with the primary purpose of expecting not to be issued a citation. i have had people with 10 different "i donated $" stickers, get ****ed and say that they will no longer give $, how are we supposed to know who gives $ for the right reason and who doesnt.
    and i have personally been burned by a good friend of mine, who i gave pc to his son about half a dozen times, also calling the friend/ father, when i finally said enuff, and issued a couple citations, what happens, i had a formal complaint filed on me,

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    while i agree with some points made here, i disagree with others, and this is the first i have heard of a pba card, we had a small sticker that we could put on our spouses or childs car, but why would you give a "get off free card" to extended family or friends. they dont get crap for being family or friend of an officer, not like your spouse or child will. you cant controll the friend or ext. family driving behavior like you can your spouse or child, i just seems to me like a bad idea, because you can really end up lookin like an ***.
    i agree with giving pc to family *spouse or child* because unfair to them, they often get the bad things that come alnog with this job, but others dont. as for "supporter stickers or cards" *i gave $ to the police*, who cares, i would say that about 90% of people do so with the primary purpose of expecting not to be issued a citation. i have had people with 10 different "i donated $" stickers, get ****ed and say that they will no longer give $, how are we supposed to know who gives $ for the right reason and who doesnt.
    and i have personally been burned by a good friend of mine, who i gave pc to his son about half a dozen times, also calling the friend/ father, when i finally said enuff, and issued a couple citations, what happens, i had a formal complaint filed on me,

Leave a comment:

• jerrymaccauley
    replied
    PBA cards

Apparently, there are some officers here who don't believe in professional courtesy. They probably don't believe in any other type of courtesy either. It's the "us against them" mentality. If I give you a card and you abuse it, I would want the officer who stopped you to let me know about the incident. Generally though, the person who gets the "break" is greatful...to both the officer who stopped them and the officer who issued the card. This is what we in the Law Enforcement community call "Good Will." Try it sometime.

Leave a comment:

• dvsmnstr
    replied
    Originally posted by Entre Nous
    and that can be abused.
    your right, we just hope all of the officers use them with smarts

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3763 users online. 263 members and 3500 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X