300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark7777
    why should a family member get a break on a ticket because a family member is a cop? lol the officer should tell them to learn how to drive and they will not get pulled over.
    so if you stopped joe blow doing 75 in a 40 your gonna say hey thats a cool PBA card from your uncle have a nice day drive safe?
    If family members drive like there supposed to they would not need to think of ways to get out of tickets lol.
    If you read my post, you would have seen that I said minor traffic violations and I would not consider 75 in a 40 minor. But yes if I pull over someone for going 10 or so mph over the limit, or another minor offense and they hand me a pba card from a friend/family member and are not cocky about it I will let them go. What do you think pba cards are for? To basically help out a friend who may have otherwise got a bigger ticket, or a ticket at all. If you think there for anything else please let me know.

Thats like your friend owning a bar/restaurant.. and giving you a free drink/dinner. Why did you get a free drink cause you know the owner? thats not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
      Thats like your friend owning a bar/restaurant.. and giving you a free drink/dinner. Why did you get a free drink cause you know the owner? thats not fair.
      Yeah, but if every employee of the bar is giving free drinks to all his friends and extended family, that could be a problem. I can understand PC to other police officers, and MAYBE to their immediate families. But I don't think that just knowing or being distantly related to an officer should mean that you have this privilege.

I can't say I haven't benefited from PC, but only inadvertently, and I've never dropped a name or used a card. I agree with Spee-Dee that it would be a loss of self-dignity. Not only that, but I value my relationships with officers for the friendship itself and not for what I can get from them. I'd feel the same about a friend working in a bar.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
        I can't say I haven't benefited from PC, but only inadvertently, and I've never dropped a name or used a card. I agree with Spee-Dee that it would be a loss of self-dignity. Not only that, but I value my relationships with officers for the friendship itself and not for what I can get from them. I'd feel the same about a friend working in a bar.
        Has nothing to do with a loss of "self dignity". The whole reason we (officers) give PBA/FOP cards to friends and family is for the express purpose of showing them to an officer if they get stopped. It's not like "hey here's this really cool card to keep in your wallet and not show anyone". What sense would that make? We also don't just give them out to every Joe Schmo we meet on the street, they are for close friends who we would like another officer to give a break to.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
          How do people do that sort of thing without feeling some sort of loss of self-dignity? I just don't understand how you can even work such a thing into a traffic stop without looking like an idiot?

And if you do ticket some officer's someone, do they call you up and get mad at you for it?
          You just hand it to the officer with the rest of your paperwork, not all that tough. Most times if I spot one in a wallet I'll ask who's PBA/FOP card they have before they even get a chance to take it out. I'll ask them how they know the person and if it's a close friend or family member then as I said before off they go.

And yes if you ticket someone's card you most likely will get a phone call or hear something from that dept. There have been ticket wars started that way. There was one stop where I wrote a girl a speeding ticket and THEN she decides to show me the PBA card that she had. The next week I got a phone call from the officer it was from very politely asking if there was anything I could do to help her in court. I went out of my way to make sure the ticket was downgraded and she didn't get any points on her license.

As I said it seems that here in NJ we're one of the last places that knows how to take care of our own.

Comment

but I value my relationships with officers for the friendship itself and not for what I can get from them. I'd feel the same about a friend working in a bar.
            some relationships are closer than others, and when your that tight you get favors. people don't ask me (well some do haha) for cards I offer them to the people I think deserve them and who will treat the card with respect.

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534
              We also don't just give them out to every Joe Schmo we meet on the street, they are for close friends who we would like another officer to give a break to.
              Well, if you're selective about it...But look at the guy who started the thread for example. He had one from his uncle. Maybe the uncle gave one to each of his nieces, nephews, etc. I mean they're apparently 50 cents each for God's sake. Why not give them to the whole extended family? That's what I object to. If it's a rare honor you bestow on a friend that's one thing. But they're apparently not regulated and can be given out at random, and that can be abused.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

and that can be abused.
                your right, we just hope all of the officers use them with smarts

Comment

PBA cards

Apparently, there are some officers here who don't believe in professional courtesy. They probably don't believe in any other type of courtesy either. It's the "us against them" mentality. If I give you a card and you abuse it, I would want the officer who stopped you to let me know about the incident. Generally though, the person who gets the "break" is greatful...to both the officer who stopped them and the officer who issued the card. This is what we in the Law Enforcement community call "Good Will." Try it sometime.
                  Jerry
                  "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

while i agree with some points made here, i disagree with others, and this is the first i have heard of a pba card, we had a small sticker that we could put on our spouses or childs car, but why would you give a "get off free card" to extended family or friends. they dont get crap for being family or friend of an officer, not like your spouse or child will. you cant controll the friend or ext. family driving behavior like you can your spouse or child, i just seems to me like a bad idea, because you can really end up lookin like an ***.
                    i agree with giving pc to family *spouse or child* because unfair to them, they often get the bad things that come alnog with this job, but others dont. as for "supporter stickers or cards" *i gave $ to the police*, who cares, i would say that about 90% of people do so with the primary purpose of expecting not to be issued a citation. i have had people with 10 different "i donated $" stickers, get ****ed and say that they will no longer give $, how are we supposed to know who gives $ for the right reason and who doesnt.
                    and i have personally been burned by a good friend of mine, who i gave pc to his son about half a dozen times, also calling the friend/ father, when i finally said enuff, and issued a couple citations, what happens, i had a formal complaint filed on me,

Comment

gotthblues, I hear what your saying but usally if someone gives us a hard time about stopping them waving a pba card in front of us, we are taking that card, writing the ticket and calling the officer(holder of the card). So it's not a get out of jail free card, just a (i'm usally a good driver please cut me a break) card.

Originally posted by gotthblues
                      while i agree with some points made here, i disagree with others, and this is the first i have heard of a pba card, we had a small sticker that we could put on our spouses or childs car, but why would you give a "get off free card" to extended family or friends. they dont get crap for being family or friend of an officer, not like your spouse or child will. you cant controll the friend or ext. family driving behavior like you can your spouse or child, i just seems to me like a bad idea, because you can really end up lookin like an ***.
                      i agree with giving pc to family *spouse or child* because unfair to them, they often get the bad things that come alnog with this job, but others dont. as for "supporter stickers or cards" *i gave $ to the police*, who cares, i would say that about 90% of people do so with the primary purpose of expecting not to be issued a citation. i have had people with 10 different "i donated $" stickers, get ****ed and say that they will no longer give $, how are we supposed to know who gives $ for the right reason and who doesnt.
                      and i have personally been burned by a good friend of mine, who i gave pc to his son about half a dozen times, also calling the friend/ father, when i finally said enuff, and issued a couple citations, what happens, i had a formal complaint filed on me,

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
                        gotthblues, I hear what your saying but usally if someone gives us a hard time about stopping them waving a pba card in front of us, we are taking that card, writing the ticket and calling the officer(holder of the card). So it's not a get out of jail free card, just a (i'm usally a good driver please cut me a break) card.
                        thats kinda what i thought it was, if it has the officers info on it, i like that idea, cause you can call them *as you said* i have called officers, and told them that i had their kid, wife, whatever the case and explained the stop, ex. i stopped a trprs son, something like 80 in 55, he told me to doctor his ***, i have also done that for friends, like a former teacher once, he was a real great guy, real down to earth and honest, same thing, his son was doing around 70 in 35, he also said to doctor him and keep him there, shortly after mommy and daddy showd up, momma beat his 17yr old *** infront of his friends and daddy took the car away. so i have been "guilty" of pc to non officers, but it usually worked in my favor, but i have still been burned doing it. but i would still be learie of giving the card to extd family or friends....but it seems to be an okay thing,

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
                          He can't assess violation points against you, only the DMV can after being found guilty in a court of law, so he lied to you about that. Secondly, by taking something that he had no right to take (the PBA card), he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
                          So, this guy isn't the typical NY cop?
                          Last edited by Tennsix; 09-12-2005, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark7777
                            I know the officers that work in my area we see each other all day long. They are very busy going from one service call to another so If someone does something to even catch their attention traffic wise the chance for a handshake and drive safe is slim to none here.For them to do a traffic stop means they are deleying response to a call.They do have a Traffic enforcement unit that spends their entire shift doing nothing but writing traffic you might have a chance with them.
                            why should a family member get a break on a ticket because a family member is a cop? lol the officer should tell them to learn how to drive and they will not get pulled over.
                            so if you stopped joe blow doing 75 in a 40 your gonna say hey thats a cool PBA card from your uncle have a nice day drive safe?
                            If family members drive like there supposed to they would not need to think of ways to get out of tickets lol.
                            Traffic enforcement units are becoming ever so popular with munincipal pd and so's. In this day in age where I live, you are not going to get stopped unless you are commiting major violations or if it is between 0400 to 0600 hrs. and there is nothing else better to do. However those small village pd's are strict when it comes to moving violations.

Comment

Originally posted by haus409
                              He gave me his last name and I recognized it as the name of a deputy that was killed in my county a couple of years prior. The kid turned out to be the deputy's son and he didn't say a word.
                              Well, when IS a good time to bring it up?
                              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. EXPLORER
                                Traffic enforcement units are becoming ever so popular with munincipal pd and so's. In this day in age where I live, you are not going to get stopped unless you are commiting major violations or if it is between 0400 to 0600 hrs. and there is nothing else better to do. However those small village pd's are strict when it comes to moving violations.
                                yea thats true east rochester and fairport are known for that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3341 users online. 232 members and 3109 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X