300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tennsix
    Some would argue that the PBA card was used in the commision of a crime.
    Since when is speeding a misdemeanor or felony?

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
      Since when is speeding a misdemeanor or felony?
      In Indiana, speeding is a crime if it is 25 MPH (or more) over the posted limit. Dangerously cutting one off could be considered criminal recklessness.

Comment

Erm, maybe I'm stupid, I know you said what PBA stands for but what does having a card mean? I mean, like what do you do with it?
        Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
          Erm, maybe I'm stupid, I know you said what PBA stands for but what does having a card mean? I mean, like what do you do with it?
          Use it to try to get out of traffic tickets...

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
            Try to bribe your way out of a ticket.

I know very little about them, but this is everything that my book mentions about them and using them for such purposes as getting out of tickets.

Originally posted by A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets

Police Benevolent Associations exist for almost every police agency. Some are just what they appear to be; a fraternal organization dedicated to its members well-being. In most of the other cases, they are unions, organized labor, nothing more and nothing less. They charge dues and supply union type benefits for their members. They often are the sole negotiators of police contracts and the represent their members in contract grievances.

To increase their positive cash flow, they sell "honorary" memberships in their organizations. For your donation you will usually receive a decal to put on your car window and a membership card for your wallet or purse. The card will ask "any officer to extend to the holder every courtesy..." It is also a good bet that you will end up on the mailing lists of other similar cop organizations. A year later you can be certain that the PBA will send you a reminder that your card has expired and they will require payment for the renewal of your "honorary" membership. The only thing being honored is the almighty dollar. As for the cop "extending every courtesy," that is exactly what a large portion of a cop's job is! He is paid to help people.

Naturally, you will be under the mistaken impression the decal and card will help you get out of a ticket. Notice the exact words I used were "mistaken impression." Let's be honest. Everyone knows what you are trying to purchase. Would you give a yearly donation to Teamster's Union if they promised you a decal and courtesy card? If the cop just sent you a thank-you letter but no decal or card, would you be so anxious to part with your money?

It boils down to this: will the police officer who stops you, let you go because you gave money to a police union? Keep in mind that his union is probably not even the same one that got your donation. Would a union carpenter reduce his bill for you if he knew you had donated money to a steamfitter's union?

Sure, it is possible that the card in your hand will keep the speeding ticket from being written. It is just as likely it will guarantee you'll get a ticket! Let me explain. Police unions, like all other unions, have members who are happy with the union's actions and members who are not. If you were pulled over by a PBA delegate (the officer representative, like a shop steward), then chances are he might be inclined to let you go. If you were pulled over bt someone who was not happy with the last contract, or recently lost a contract dispute, the "honorary" card might have the opposite effect. For the majority of cops, the attitude they have when you present them with the card is: "Does this SOB think he can buy his way out if this ticket?!" This attitude is reinforced every time someone gets pulled over and starts waving a handful of courtesy cards representing different PBAs in the cop's face.

Cop unions and PBAs do a lot of good work and have been tremendous assistance when officers have faced false accusations and law suits. If you feel it is the right thing to do, by all means help these organizations. I just don't recommend you display the card when you are stopped. As far as the decal on the window is concerned, it could help and it could hurt. You will have to make your own decision but it never helped anyone I pulled over.

There is an exception to every rule. A "PBA" card will often work if when handed to the cop, the driver mentions he was given the card by a good friend, Officer _____. This gives the cop a different outlook on the whole matter. You are no longer trying to bribe your way out of a ticket. You have become the friend of some fellow officer who is saying, "This is my friend. Don't paper him."
            I don't know. I think the whole PBA and name dropping thing is a load of crap. Personally, if I were a cop and someone I knew got pulled over and started using my name to get out of tickets I'd be mad. I wouldn't want to look like one of those cops who tells people to use my name whenever you pulled over.

Comment

Thanks Spee-Dee, that cleared stuff up.
              Now I know what you're talking about. I guess its that sticker on their windshield people point to when I give them a "talk" about doing something completely moronic on the road, and I'm like "a sticker? So what?"
              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

so you handed a pba card that belonged to your uncle to the officer.... lol

the cops in my district would have smiled and handed you a ticket.

thats like what they hear all day long

my friend is a cop.... i know the sheriff
                i put this silly i support the local police sticker on my car

please dont write me a ticket lol...

drive like your supposed to and you will not get pulled over kinda simple.

hand your uncles pba card to a virginia state trooper that will go over very well lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
                  Does it really say that specifically? So basically, you get pulled over, hand Officer Neckvein your PBA card while casually mentioning that so and so gave it to you, and you get away scott-free? Tell me honestly, there must be a better use for a PBA card. As nice as it is to get away with a warning, I don't think I could even bring myself to trying to use such tactics to get one.
                  Yes that's exactly what it says, and we get them all the time. At my FOP hall we can buy them for $.50 each and give them to friends and relatives. I won't write another officer's FOP/PBA card unless it'a an especially bad violation. NJ seems to be the last big stand for professional courtesy it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
                    Did you miss the IN NEW YORK I very clearly put in my post? IN NEW YORK I do not have any legal authority to take something that is 1.)not mine 2.)is not stolen property 3.)was not used in the commission of a crime 4.)I do not have express permission to take by the one currently in possession. Would an PO actually get charged with larceny? Of course not. However that doesn't give me the right to take something that isn't mine.

Then maybe you should have not spoke up about something that you did not know about. In NJ we don't even have "felonies" we have cimes and disorderly persons offenses. Taking someone's PBA card doesn't qualify as either....that's called doing your job.

I was thinking the same thing as Tennsix. For someone claiming to be an officer for 5 years you sure were quick to recommend a call to the civilian complaint dept. I don't know too many officers who would make that statement about another officer. As the saying goes better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

You also have one heck of an attitude towards other officers for someone who admittedly doesn't know what he's talking about. Yet another red flag.
                    Last edited by WTPD3534; 09-11-2005, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534
                      Yes that's exactly what it says, and we get them all the time. At my FOP hall we can buy them for $.50 each and give them to friends and relatives. I won't write another officer's FOP/PBA card unless it'a an especially bad violation. NJ seems to be the last big stand for professional courtesy it seems.
                      How do people do that sort of thing without feeling some sort of loss of self-dignity? I just don't understand how you can even work such a thing into a traffic stop without looking like an idiot?

And if you do ticket some officer's someone, do they call you up and get mad at you for it?

Comment

Handing me your UNCLES PBA card would be very likely to earn you a ticket from me, even if I wasn't gonna write you in the first place. If it was yours, and you handed it to me with your DL, insurance info and such, I wouldn't like it, but handing me your uncle's card or your third cousin's buddy's sister's card is gonna p*** me off. That's probably the only reason he screwed with your head about the points in the first place.

I'll never cease to be amazed by the name dropping that goes on by people that have no right, and how some people have every right and don't say a word. I can think of one stop specifically where I stopped a kid for an offense, don't remember what, and he didn't have ID with him. Planning on writing him, I pulled him from the vehicle and had him sit in my car. I told him I was going to write him and began to get his info. He gave me his last name and I recognized it as the name of a deputy that was killed in my county a couple of years prior. The kid turned out to be the deputy's son and he didn't say a word.
                        "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

what you just said makes no sense, "if it was his own card".. why would a cop give you his own pba card? it would not happen.. he would show his id/badge. In NJ thats exactly what a pba card is for, to give to your family/friends stating that you are a safe driver and to help you out of a minor jam.

It seems we treat PC a little higher here than some of you other states. I'm with WTPD3534, I would not write/take a pba card unless it was a really bad violation, or they give me an attidude.

who's looking out for who..?

Originally posted by haus409
                          Handing me your UNCLES PBA card would be very likely to earn you a ticket from me, even if I wasn't gonna write you in the first place. If it was yours, and you handed it to me with your DL, insurance info and such, I wouldn't like it, but handing me your uncle's card or your third cousin's buddy's sister's card is gonna p*** me off. That's probably the only reason he screwed with your head about the points in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mark7777
                            so you handed a pba card that belonged to your uncle to the officer.... lol

the cops in my district would have smiled and handed you a ticket.
                            I have been pulled over in NY before I was in LE and handed the officer my friends pba card, he simply asked who is this I told him my good friend and he told me to drive a little slower or my friend will be getting a call.

So as you see mark7777, it depends on the cop and not the district.

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
                              I have been pulled over in NY before I was in LE and handed the officer my friends pba card, he simply asked who is this I told him my good friend and he told me to drive a little slower or my friend will be getting a call.

So as you see mark7777, it depends on the cop and not the district.
                              I know the officers that work in my area we see each other all day long. They are very busy going from one service call to another so If someone does something to even catch their attention traffic wise the chance for a handshake and drive safe is slim to none here.For them to do a traffic stop means they are deleying response to a call.They do have a Traffic enforcement unit that spends their entire shift doing nothing but writing traffic you might have a chance with them.
                              why should a family member get a break on a ticket because a family member is a cop? lol the officer should tell them to learn how to drive and they will not get pulled over.
                              so if you stopped joe blow doing 75 in a 40 your gonna say hey thats a cool PBA card from your uncle have a nice day drive safe?
                              If family members drive like there supposed to they would not need to think of ways to get out of tickets lol.

Comment

PBA card

For those non- union officers who are commenting on this subject, a pba card is a courtesy card given to friends, family and supporters of police officers. They are intended to allow an officer who stops you for a minor infraction (not a crime) to know that you are the type of person who generally does not violate the law. We routinely take the card and send it back to the issuing person as a courtesy, assuming that in a similar situation, they would do the same for our family members. This type of professional courtesy is similar to any officer giving a warning when it serves its purpose. You were given a break and your uncle will explain how that works.
                                The rest of you guys, stop trying to turn it into a felony or something equally ridiculous!
                                Jerry
                                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3034 users online. 208 members and 2826 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X