300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Violation

I have been driving for many years with a very good record, receiving few violations over the years, with a current point rating of zero.

The other day I made a poor judgment maneuver, cutting off a truck to make a right turn. The officer pulled me over and gave me a justified piece of his mind. I then politely explained how stupid I was and normally drive very safe.

I wasn

He can't assess violation points against you, only the DMV can after being found guilty in a court of law, so he lied to you about that. Secondly, by taking something that he had no right to take (the PBA card), he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.

Comment

Originally posted by FJM-Bladerunner
      He told me that "I was not going to get a ticket, but he would put 5 points on my license and he was keeping the card". I wasn't sure how he could add points to my license when no paper work passed hands and without me signing off being guilty of the crime. (Guilty or Not ?)

My friends and family seem to think that the officer let my off, but wanted me to remember the favor by causing me a bit of distress and the lose of a few nights sleep. What do you think?
      This sounds a bit like the "I'm going to let you go this time, but if I catch you driving like that again in the next six months I'm going to give you ticket for everything that happened tonight PLUS whatever you did that night." that I got. Sounds like you're friends and family are right.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
        he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
        You're kidding, right? The officer gave him a break after he admittedly did something stupid. So he should complain on the officer for taking a PBA card that he probably shouldn't have been using in the first place?

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

[QUOTE=FJM-Bladerunner]

I wasn
          Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

Your friends were right. He could have given you the ticket. I'd let it go if I were you.
            An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by beano00
              What's a PBA card? The only PBA I know of is the Professional Bowlers Association.

PBA = Police Benevolent Associations

You can get them either by becoming an "honary member" by donating money to them or by getting one from a relative who works in LE.

I don't have one though. I don't even know if we have those in Canada. I only know about them because they're mentioned in my book that I mentioned in earlier posts.

Comment

He can't assess you points, as was said before only the DMV can do that. He was saying that just to scare you.

As for this:

he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
                No he has not committed a felony. We are supposed to take PBA/FOP cards when someone is stopped and return them to the lodge from which the originated. It says right on the back of the card that it is only valid so long as you obey the rules of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
                  He can't assess violation points against you, only the DMV can after being found guilty in a court of law, so he lied to you about that. Secondly, by taking something that he had no right to take (the PBA card), he's committed a felony, at least in NY (Grand Larceny 4, stealing off of a person). Contact his department's civilian complaint board to get the card back.
                  How long have you been an officer?

Comment

Moving Violation

Thank you all for your kind and truthful responses.

I am very grateful to the officer for his kindness in this case, and will be a very defensive driver in the future.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                      How long have you been an officer?
                      More than 5 years, what's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534
                        He can't assess you points, as was said before only the DMV can do that. He was saying that just to scare you.

As for this:

No he has not committed a felony. We are supposed to take PBA/FOP cards when someone is stopped and return them to the lodge from which the originated. It says right on the back of the card that it is only valid so long as you obey the rules of the road.
                        Did you miss the IN NEW YORK I very clearly put in my post? IN NEW YORK I do not have any legal authority to take something that is 1.)not mine 2.)is not stolen property 3.)was not used in the commission of a crime 4.)I do not have express permission to take by the one currently in possession. Would an PO actually get charged with larceny? Of course not. However that doesn't give me the right to take something that isn't mine.

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534

As for this:

Does it really say that specifically? So basically, you get pulled over, hand Officer Neckvein your PBA card while casually mentioning that so and so gave it to you, and you get away scott-free? Tell me honestly, there must be a better use for a PBA card. As nice as it is to get away with a warning, I don't think I could even bring myself to trying to use such tactics to get one.

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
                            More than 5 years, what's your point?
                            I don

Comment

Originally posted by SWH
                              Did you miss the IN NEW YORK I very clearly put in my post? IN NEW YORK I do not have any legal authority to take something that is 1.)not mine 2.)is not stolen property 3.)was not used in the commission of a crime 4.)I do not have express permission to take by the one currently in possession. Would an PO actually get charged with larceny? Of course not. However that doesn't give me the right to take something that isn't mine.

Some would argue that the PBA card was used in the commision of a crime.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5601 users online. 343 members and 5258 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X