300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniforms

I noticed several topics here about uniforms and I'm wondering if any of you guys have this going on at your agency. We have so many different uniforms here, for every specialized unit imaginable, that only a handful actually wear the traditional police officer uniform that the public recognizes and respects. We have multicolored polo shirts for all the feel good assignments (dare, community outreach, PAL, crime prevention, etc.), Shorts and polos for bike units, BDU's and long sleeve t-shirts for tactical teams and K-9's, and on and on. Anybody think we're getting carried away? I'm not saying that SWAT and tac teams don't get dirty, but if you drive a marked unit, maybe we should dress like police officers.
    Jerry
    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Mr Plod

You have a point there Jerry.

I guess it has all to do with comfort and occupational health and safety.

Thankfully for our General Duty Patrol Officers we have gotten away from the tradional British button up tunic complete with neck tie which we wore as winter dress.

The days of trying to combine a cermonial dress uniform as an operational uniform are thankfully over. However, in some cases I think that we have gone a bit too far the other way and many Officers who are engaged in normal every day Community Policing are now dressed like Darth Vader.

Cheers.

Comment

Uniforms

Jerry makes some really good points. Alabama DPS still is pretty much traditional in terms of uniforms. We do have a BDU (Class-C) uniform which is very practicle for activities such as Commercial Vehicle Enforcement,and other enforcement duties that are almost guaranteed to mess up a uniform. Our Spec-Ops and Tactical Teams have additional uniforms appropriate to those duties, but for the most part wear the traditional uniform.

Comment

In my county department, all Deputies in the jail, the road patrol and the reserves wear the same uniform. The SWAT guys have black BDUs they wear when activated, but otherwise their duty uniform is the same.
        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Ours is broke down....

Jail wears BDUs, except Sergeants they wear the normal deputy uniform.

EV Techs wear BDUs

K-9 Handlers wear BDUs

Court and Road deputies wear the approved Buckeye Sheriff Uniform...lol

I have noticed that the Sheriff's insignas varies county to county though....
          Last edited by Photogrrlz; 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM.
          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Department here all the patrol wears gray top dark blue bottom(or is it black?). Animal control wears an all dark blue uniform, K9 wears an all dark uniform. They're basically all the same for the most part.

Comment

Our local PD went from BDU pants and 'uniform' button up shirts to BDU pants and these ugly *** BRIGHT YELLO polo type, mesh shirts.
              They look gay, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
                Our local PD went from BDU pants and 'uniform' button up shirts to BDU pants and these ugly *** BRIGHT YELLO polo type, mesh shirts.
                They look gay, IMO.

Hey now... Nothing wrong with looking happy

Patience with ignorance

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Comment

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
                  Hey now... Nothing wrong with looking happy

Sorry, Photo..I let that one slip..You know it's all love...

Comment

The officers here all wear "LAPD" blue uniforms, no BDU's allowed (as far as I know anyways). Only SWAT can wear BDU's when they are called out. That and the bike patrol officers have a special uniform.
                    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by StephWhit
                      Sorry, Photo..I let that one slip..You know it's all love...

hehehe I just wanted to give you a hard time.

Patience with ignorance

Comment

"The days of trying to combine a cermonial dress uniform as an operational uniform are thankfully over. However, in some cases I think that we have gone a bit too far the other way and many Officers who are engaged in normal every day Community Policing are now dressed like Darth Vader".

I'd be interested to know what this means John. NSWP have hardly changed their uniform. Officers are still required to wear a tie whenever they go to court. They still wear the 'dayglo' light blue uniform shirt with quickly-fading BDU pants. Which officers wear Darth Vader uniforrms and engage in community policing?
                        It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

The bad thing about a traditional uniform is they suck when it comes to heat and comfort. My department (everyone from officer to chief) wears a white polo (can't keep it clean for anything) and black BDU shorts with short boots. It is very comfortable but does not have the professionalism of a traditional uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by co911
                            "The days of trying to combine a cermonial dress uniform as an operational uniform are thankfully over. However, in some cases I think that we have gone a bit too far the other way and many Officers who are engaged in normal every day Community Policing are now dressed like Darth Vader".

I'd be interested to know what this means John. NSWP have hardly changed their uniform. Officers are still required to wear a tie whenever they go to court. They still wear the 'dayglo' light blue uniform shirt with quickly-fading BDU pants. Which officers wear Darth Vader uniforrms and engage in community policing?
                            Maybe talking about Motorcycle cops dressed in all leather?

Comment

I think the traditional uniform looks the best, however the functionality and comfort level isn't quite the best. Our new Chief approved new summer uniforms consisting of shorts, tactical pants (not BDU's) with cargo pockets, and Cool Max uniform shirts. The Chief is putting the comfort of the officers above the traditional look. K-9 wears BDU's and Polo shirts or BDU tops, Marine Unit wears shorts or tactical pants and Polo shirts. Motors wear white shirts and motor pants. Tac wears BDU's and Polo shirts (when the unit is staffed). I'm sure I forgot some of the other units.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3181 users online. 151 members and 3030 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X