300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision and age

I have come to the sad conclusion that my vision is slipping. I did not realize it until I started working midnight shift. Just turned 40 and have always been eagle eyed until now. Going to the doc on day off to get checked and glasses. Anyone else? What is the most common reason for loss of night vision? Is it just the warranty running out on the eyes?

Mack,

You are WAAAAY to young to be a COF (Certified Old Fart!) I am glad you are going to the eye doc with this. I've had night vision problems for years too, so don't feel alone.

But sometimes your eyes just "need a little help." Don't worry about it, just get it checked.
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don, did they give you something to help yours'?

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

They gave Don a cane. All the dogs they gave Don kept trying to lead him out into traffic.

Sorry, I don't mean to make light of your situation, Mack. My none-too-good youthful vision slipped right about forty. I'll follow this thread for suggestions. Be safe.
        John from Maryland

Comment

Don't worry.. I am only in my twenties and my vision sucks. In fact, I managed to scratch my cornea last year and some infection was able to enter my eye. Now I have built up scar tissue on the 4th and 5th layers of my cornea and the only way to get the vision back to where it used to be is through a cornal transplant. Fun, fun.
          No partner is worth your tears -
          the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Been wearing contacts (for distance vision)for about 20 years. As I just turned forty, the eye-doc was concerned about reading vision and night vision.

He explained that most everyone's reading vision begins to deteriorate as they reach 40. Luckily mine is fine.

We see using rods and cones on our retina; although, I don't remember which is for night vision, but they begin to weaken as we reach around forty. He did have to strenghten my prescription due to my weakened night vision.

So welcome to the club. Glasses or contacts?

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by txinvestigator1:
              Been wearing contacts (for distance vision)for about 20 years. As I just turned forty, the eye-doc was concerned about reading vision and night vision.

my reading vision is bad...but my nite vision is $%^! i already wear glasses so what's next...night vision goggles??
              "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland:
                They gave Don a cane. All the dogs they gave Don kept trying to lead him out into traffic.
                HEHEHE ....you're baaad

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]

Comment

I got this nice piture of a dog trying to pull don towards the street as he resists LOL It makes one heckova interesting poster LOL

Klar
                  Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Raychel,

BTDT on the scratched cornea. Being the klutz I am, I have "BTDT" FOUR times!

On the last one, the ER doc (of course whom I knew from bringing in prisoners and commitments, and working wrecks, dog bites, and sexual assaults) was laughing, because I told him I KNEW it was a scratched cornea since I’d had so many, and told him I had HAD so many, I knew how to treat it, because I has been there so often on it-and then told him step by step what he was going to do to examine and treat it (in a nice joking manner of course-not pushy or cocky) using an comical but exaggerated, military instructor-type voice, since I knew he was ex-Navy:

“Okay, you will now dilate my pupil with a special eye drop, let it ‘work’ for a few minutes, then come back, and after turning the light off, you will then view the surface of the cornea using the special pupilary examination device. Then, upon finding the scratch or abrasion, you will then treat it with a medicated drop to expedite healing, then use Tobramycin antibiotic cr
                    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

I know of several officers, all of whom are younger than 40, who require glasses at night.

Don't worry about it Mack.

Comment

24 hours? YOu lucky dog you...

When I scratched my cornea they told me it should heal up within a week or so.. Two weeks later, I was still in major pain so I called my optomatrist who referred me to my opthalmalogist whom I now know on a first name basis.

At first he thought it might be something called akanthamoeba keratitis but he never could determine that was it.. Pretty scary when you opthalmalogist turns to you and says.. I have no idea what it is.. lol

So the pain is gone anyway.. but my vision is still damaged from it over a year later.
                        No partner is worth your tears -
                        the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Raychel,

That was an infection that originated with the original injury. Infections are much more painful, but the protocol on the basic scratched cornea is still 24 hours, barring infection. The eye has a remarkable ability to heal itself, in this type of scenario, again, barring additional infection.

I feel for you, as I truly believe that "sight" is the greatest of our senses, and the one I would miss the most. I encourage you to be "over protective" with it, and have it checked often. Good luck!
                          People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

I am supposed to be wearing glasses, but I totally ditched them when I was 17 and havent looked back since.

When I was about 10 I got hit in the left eye with a golf club, did lots of damage and had to have surgery and all that kind of stuff. Well I still dont know what happend to this day but my left eye is about 20/80 while my right eye is about 20/30. I can do everything normally without wearing glasses, I read fine and dont need glasses to drive. I dont even wear any glasses while shooting.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3417 users online. 173 members and 3244 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X