300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Preperations

I'm trying to find what has worked for you guys as far as getting through the academy. I plan on starting the academy in January, and am expecting to complete physical agility tests in late October. I've been working for the past four years in EMS, along with a stint in part time corrections for about two years, and I have fallen victim to the EMS physique. I am currently 5'11'' and weigh in at about 205lbs. Over the past month and a half, I've adjusted my diet, eating more chicken and other healthier options, and have cut my intake drastically. I originally weighed in at 245lbs. I've been doing the usual Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, and running. Push-up's and sit-ups, I've been doing my maxiumum number of repititions in one minute, and doing two more sets of them, about every other day. I'm having some difficulty with the running. Some of it is motivation, some is time. I find myself trying to run three times a week, but I never have been a big runner. I would guess that my running style is probably some of my problems. Any input on training for the running, or any other physical aspects of the academy? Any input qould be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Get up early and do your running before work. This way you won't be able to make the zillion excuses that one can make after work for not hitting the pavement. It works for me anyway.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Like pkagel says. You need to make the time. You will be thankful in January when you are running your butt off. Also, stop eating stuff with large amounts of sugar (sodas, etc). You will see the pounds drop off by a proper diet and good aerobic workouts.

Comment

I feel so dirty now, I worked out all weekend and Mon, Tue but Wed and Thur I was so wiped out I couldn't pull my rear out of bed untill 0430. I usually wake up at 0315 and go hit the gym. I'll have to take it out on myself this weekend.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Remember, if you are working out (like lifting weights), you should give your body 48 hours before doing it again so the muscles and body can repair. If you do it too frequently, it can be counterproductive. Cut yourself some slack!!

Comment

O, I give it 48 hrs between weights, I hit the weights every other day and run on non weight days. Well, at least I'm trying to run, LOL. I had a bad ankle sprain about 3 months ago so I am taking it real easy and doing about 2 miles on mostly grass. I want to get it back up to 6 and then possibly 8 miles but I'm not going to push it and hurt myself again. As far as the weights go, 3 days a week is more than enough for me. I don't need any more size, just trying to maintain what I have.

Comment

Hey FAS, for a good structured workout that will help motivate you why don't you try the SEAL prep workout on my website. Go to the files and then the medical section and it is right there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

It ramps you up at a rapid but doable pace that makes you compete with yourself to keep up.

Comment

I'm going through the academy now, all I can say is practice pushups, pullups(chinups), and running.. if you can do 8/10 pullups, run 1.5 miles in about 13min, and do 25+ pushups in a minute you will be a little above average and be able to get better with those numbers as the class goes on.

hope this gives you some kind of idea/goal to get ready.
                (each academy is different these are just round about numbers from people in my class).

Comment

Preparing yourself physically is vital for sure; pushups, situps, and running- at least 1.5 to 2 miles to start. If you can run 1.5 miles in 12-13 minutes you are in ok shape for starters.

I would also challenge you to prepare yourself mentally. In the 12 weeks I have been in the academy, I can tell you that a positive mental attitude can do wonders for you. Everything, and I mean everything they will throw at you is done for a reason. You may not understand it at first, but it is all for a reason. Stay positive the whole time. If you think you can, you will; if you think you can't, you won't. I have developed the mindset that no matter what they throw at me, no matter what they tell me to do- I will do it and I will NEVER quit. They can PT me till I bleed from my eyes, but I will NOT QUIT and I WILL succeed. This mental attitude has worked wonders for me so far in the academy. Just some food for thought- good luck and stay safe....JC
                  "Hey handsome...catch any speeders today" ???

Comment

Hey PKAGEL, thanks for the link to that info. Its quite useful. Right now I am in the military in preperation for a career in LE. I'm gonna take this info with me overseas and it will alow me to not get behind due to being behind. Thanks again
                    - Chris
                    --------------------------------

'Rookies try to shine there badge to perfection while Veterans try to hide there badge from the public'

Comment

Originally posted by WCJC 30339
                      I would also challenge you to prepare yourself mentally. In the 12 weeks I have been in the academy, I can tell you that a positive mental attitude can do wonders for you. Everything, and I mean everything they will throw at you is done for a reason. You may not understand it at first, but it is all for a reason. Stay positive the whole time. If you think you can, you will; if you think you can't, you won't. I have developed the mindset that no matter what they throw at me, no matter what they tell me to do- I will do it and I will NEVER quit. They can PT me till I bleed from my eyes, but I will NOT QUIT and I WILL succeed. This mental attitude has worked wonders for me so far in the academy. Just some food for thought- good luck and stay safe....JC

He has nailed the biggest part of it......remember, just get into this mindset now because it is one of the most important lessons to be learned not only in life, but especially in your chosen profession.

Don't Ever Give Up.

If quit during a run, you are training your mind it is ok to give up. If you let yourself ever believe this you are teaching yourself a very dangerous thing. Because if you quit in a run, you will eventually quit in a fight. If you quit in a fight, you or someone else may end up dead.

Quitting is not an Option.

Good luck and Be safe!

Comment

Don't forget the internet. Go to your states POST and find out what course learning requirements are and then print that out. Then, doenload all the relevant codes and make yourself a set of study guides like I did. It took me a few months to make the ones I have on my web site and I have also done the smae thing for Texas in preperation for moving there. Once you can start learning the basics and get a general idea of what you'll be learning in the academy you'll be miles ahead of everyone in your academy class and then be able to spend more time deep learning the little things and best of all, more sleep!!

Originally posted by SparkyTheCop
                        Hey PKAGEL, thanks for the link to that info. Its quite useful. Right now I am in the military in preperation for a career in LE. I'm gonna take this info with me overseas and it will alow me to not get behind due to being behind. Thanks again

Comment

academy training

getting through the academy is the easy part, staying for 30 years and getting a retirement check is the difficult part. Make sure you are in the best physical condition you can be prior to arrival because for sure they'll put it to you at the academy Best of luck to you Let us know when you graduate

Comment

Might I add that you should be in the right mental shape as well. It makes all the difference when they are standing there telling you that you are a dirt bag and will never pass the academy. Get your body in shape but more important, your attitude.

Comment

The positive mental additude is definately something that I have. I dropped out of a paramedic program, and am leaving a well paying job to attend the academy. Essentially, I'm throwing away a job that I worked very hard to get, and an education that would have taken me far, because I need this. So I have geared myself in such a mindset that I now think of failure simply not being an option. I'm taking too many hits to my present career to simply throw my arms up and say "thats it... I quite". I was raised around law enforcement, as my father is a retired police officer. He, like many others, didn't want to see me enter this career field, but he has realized (thats to one of his fellow officers) that I'm going to do it with or without him, and he has since began to actively support my decision, which has increased my determination greatly. Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5246 users online. 292 members and 4954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X