300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Police Volunteers

Okay this really ****ed me off last night. Me and my friend were going out to dinner last nite, and to go onto the freeway, we had to go down our main cross roads, but on these cross roads is alot of new construction and the traffic nights were inoperative (flashing red). And usually its just your basic 4 way stop. A busy one. So i guess our city police decided to put police volunteers with their PD provided vechiles with flashing amber lights in the intersection that night.

So upon getting into the intersection, we were instructed to stop by one of the volunteers at the stop line. So we did. Then he tells the line of traffic on our left to proceed to the turn of our opposite direction of our lane, because that lane could not go straight. Im bored this morning so i made a rough diagram.

Blue is our car, and Red is the traffic the volunteer was directing to go.
    Since the road ahead of the red cars is closed by the police unit, they cannot proceed straight, and HAVE to make that right turn.

So since no traffic was going straight, our left turn lane is clear, since another volunteer stopped all othe traffic ahead of us and on our right. So the guy flashes his light onto us and follows through down to our wanted path, so we go, then he says stop. We can barely see the guy, they are wearing white and all the lights around the intersection is blinding. So the guy directs his light again at us and we try to go, but then he sticks up his hand again, to stop. I start getting ****ed at the guy, cause he always puts his hand down, making US think that we should go, and even directs his light at us. So what the heck!?

At my university, the way they direct traffic is always POINTING at the traffic he/she wants to move with one hand, and pointing with the other hand the direction he/she wants them to go, doing a "pointing over there" motion over and over. But the problem with this volunteer, he kept on putting his hand down and using the flashlight, which he kept on moving around making it look like he was directing us and the traffic only making that right turn. It was very confusing, he came up to us and said we need to stop. And I told him, we cannot clearly see your hand signals, and he proceeded with a attitude away.

I know signaling traffic is a very dangerous job for police officers, but this guy was putting himself in danger by not properly directing traffic. Wanting to get into law enforcement myself, i hope the guy can do it better.

Just venting today.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

It sounds as if they deployed the volunteers with no training in traffic direction. It's oone of those things that looks like anyone can do it, but it's actually difficult to do right.

Whenever I directed traffic, I began to have profound beliefs that there was some kind of stupid virus in the city water. One of our officers got so upset with a motorist that he put his Kel-Lite (okay, this was a long time ago) through their back window. I didn't condone what he did, but I did understand it.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Have you ever had to direct traffic?? Cars coming from every direction and only 10% of them are listening to you. Everyone thinking they're the important ones and doing what they feel like. "I need to get to work!!!" Don't worry about the accident that just sent someone to the hospital. Cut the guy some slack.

Comment

No I have not directed traffic before, but i've seen better methods of directing traffic than this guy was doing. And the way he was doing it was not as professional as ive seen at other locations. Cause the other cars at the intersection were also doing quick stop and goes cause they could not understand this volunteers signals.

They were also not wearing reflective vests and it was a very hard to see during the night visbility. I already contacted my local police station about my concerns and they will look into it, i was told they recieved several complaints about that intersection that night.

I know its a very hard and dangerous thing to do, but the way he was doing it was not very "smooth and proper" if you can say it that way, as ive seen. It was like they were not prepared, and that can cause an accident and put him in even more danger.
        Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

Yeah traffic direction is harder than it looks... It took me about until my third detail to get it right most of the time, and ya know what? I still make mistakes from time to time. I've never used a flashlight to direct traffic though, just use hands.
          Sounds like he wasn't being aggressive enough to let everyone know EXACTLY what he wanted.
          Sorry you had a bad experience, but hey, it happens. And while you get to drive on, that guy is probably stuck there for a couple more hours taking crap from other drivers who are already mad at having been inconvienienced by the construction.
          Just my two cents.
          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

I had to direct traffic once. Then my sergeant vowed to never have me direct traffic again. Every time someone made me I would yell, have them pullover and issue them a citation or two, while my partner kept directing. I hate traffic period.
            "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro56
              I had to direct traffic once. Then my sergeant vowed to never have me direct traffic again. Every time someone made me I would yell, have them pullover and issue them a citation or two, while my partner kept directing. I hate traffic period.
              We can't give citations, I only pull someone over if they mess up real big, are giving me a really hard time, or if I see they're on a cell phone (illegal in my state not to have a headset, and a huge pet peeve of mine) I'll have a nice little chat with them.
              Otherwise, just keep it moving...
              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
                We can't give citations, I only pull someone over if they mess up real big, are giving me a really hard time, or if I see they're on a cell phone (illegal in my state not to have a headset, and a huge pet peeve of mine) I'll have a nice little chat with them.
                Otherwise, just keep it moving...
                Thats why the sarge doesnt let me do it anymore.
                "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5727 users online. 313 members and 5414 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X