300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted to Law Enforcement class

So, I got accepted about amonth ago into a school program called New Horizons. The specific class that I was accepted into is called Law Enforcement. I attended open house yesterday and now I am even more excited than before. We're going to recieve training throughout the year on weapons safety, traffic stops, narcotics, taking weapons from suspect, law history/background, k9 units, and operating a police vehicle. I talked to my instructo who was formerely of the VA beach PD and he said that his cheif is donating a police car to our class sometime soon.

Has anyone here ever taught an adolescent law enforcement class? If so, what were your reactions to the level of maturity or lack thereof of the class?

Thanks.

Is this High School ? If so take colleg prep and avoid this basic class so you can get accepted into college and get a degree and qaulify for a real police job.

I am saying this because high school level leo classes here have produced very few people that can meet the criteria for being police officers. Bad grades and medical conditions and kids that are very obese etc.

Become an Explorer and learn the basics as a hobby. Get a better education now.

Comment

agree with bodie the broader your education the better what happens if you concentrate on criminal justice in HS and find out the job was not for you? or some medical condition comes up ?

I know that the depts in my area at least if they see someone with just a criminal justice background and someone else with a much broader education and all other things are equal quess whos getting the handshake?

Comment

Your parents need to talk to a guidience counselor about this before you are allowed to start. It takes a 4 yr college degree to advance in leo. That means tougher high school classes rather then vocational education that would only get you low paying security jobs and no future.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          Your parents need to talk to a guidience counselor about this before you are allowed to start. It takes a 4 yr college degree to advance in leo. That means tougher high school classes rather then vocational education that would only get you low paying security jobs and no future.
          This class isn't taking away from my college prep. It's just an introduction to see if that's what I want to do with my future. This class is just taking place of elective classes such as art, computer basics, and other unimportant classes. So, even if I don't like it or do good in it, I haven't wasted useful class time. My schedule still allows my 4 core classes in the morning. Currently I'm in honors physics, honors gov, trig, and AP english.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            Become an Explorer and learn the basics as a hobby.
            I don't believe my area offers that. We can't even do ride-alongs until we're 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh
              This class isn't taking away from my college prep. It's just an introduction to see if that's what I want to do with my future. This class is just taking place of elective classes such as art, computer basics, and other unimportant classes. So, even if I don't like it or do good in it, I haven't wasted useful class time. My schedule still allows my 4 core classes in the morning. Currently I'm in honors physics, honors gov, trig, and AP english.
              That still is vocational school. I have taken the advice of Leo's and have decided not to take this type of class where I leave school early to go to it. I have also decided to major in communications and minor in criminal justice. Listen to bodie and join an Explorer program. This way you get a chance to meet LEO's and have a chance to build a good reputation with that agecy. If just go and take criminal justice classes they may not look too highly of you. I have noticed that several people who major in criminal justice just are plain stupid. The have wrong ideas about what really goes on. I once asked a kid who was taking one of these programs, why he was taking it. He replied "I'm taking this class because I want to be a Lieutenant in the State Police. I could not help, but to laugh. I also spoke with someone who was recentely arrested who is studying CJ and he thinks he still is going to work for the same agency he was arrested by. I say this in the fact that he claims the police "falsely arrested" him. I asked one of my fellow explorers what he was going to study in college. He gave me a strange look and was like "dua" criminal justice. He made it sound like I am a moron becasue I'm not studying CJ. ---just listen

Comment

I agree completely. I think it's also best to major in a "backup" career field - you'll learn everything outside university anyway, no matter what the major. It just opens your doors to more possibilities in case your LEO dream falls through for whatever reason. If you were injured permenantly, couldn't get hired, etc. What would you do? Not THAT many other options for CJ. That's why I majored in Finance. Money makes the world go 'round. The more I understand it, the better. I've always wanted to be a LEO, but since I'm not a US citizen (yet - apply in Dec), I can't even hold a LEO job here, so I'm working in Finance and getting a few years of work experience. I truly believe that this will only help me, not hinder me. Even a few depts. around here that I'm looking into prefer degrees other than CJ. Ideally, I would major in something that provides a wide array of opportunities, like Business, Finance, etc, and minor in CJ. You'll learn everything you need to know in the academy anyway. University just teaches you to critically think - as well as read/write/speak better. What I learned in Finance in school I had to unlearn and relearn in the real business world. From what I gather from others, it's like that with most majors.

Comment

Believe me, I would rather be an explorer. However, there is no such thing like that anywhere around here. In fact, I had never even heard of an explorer before I went to this site. The only thing we have here is a junior police academy, which runs for like one week in the summer. I would rather take a year long intro. course than a week long one. As for the majoring in college, I don't really want to major in CJ. I would rather pick a broader field for my major and leave CJ to my minor.

Comment

I plan to get an associate's in CJ and a bachelor's in business, maybe continuing to get a bachelor's in CJ at the same time.
                    Even if I can't get into a sworn position, I would love to be able to get into something LE-related in biz like a store, or emergency management or something. I'll be in school a bit longer, but I think it'll make me... what's the term... well-rounded. Heh, I should take some english classes while I'm at it.
                    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Law Enforcement class

Josh, I find it hard to believe that you don't have an Explorer Program in your area. Check with your area VSP Troop to see if they sponsor an Explorer Post. Alabama DPS sponsors several LE Explorer Posts statewide. If that doesn't work, the LE class would probably be okay. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasim, but try to keep things in perspective. I also got the impression you feel computer classes aren't important. Unless you're a real keyboard impressario, I would take evey computer class I could. My past year has been largely spent learning more about computers, and trying to bring some reluctant Troopers kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5680 users online. 334 members and 5346 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X