300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soleil_nuage
    Oh come on Welpe and That Guy! Don't be so sensitive. If it makes you feel better, my real name is foreign and complicated and is always butchered. I get a lot of [email protected]*** comments about it. I just take it in stride.

I used to help people as they were struggling to pronounce my name. Now, I just wait silently, with a raised eyebrow, while they stutter and stammer trying to say my name. It's more entertaining.
    I hear where you're coming from. My name isn't foreign, but everyone says and spells it wrong.

The first week back to school is always the worst. Usually by the last class I'm screaming the proper pronounciation.

What do parents think before assigning a name to their child? Do they not think of the future consequences?

On the note of drivers not speaking English very well or even at all I'll share this with you.

When I first started working at Wal*Mart last summer they put me in their Tire & Lube Express department. When working at the desk trying to fill out work-order forms for customers I'd get multi-cultural customers who didn't know what kind of vehicle they drove. I'm not talking vehicle names like Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic. I'm talking about they didn't know if they drove a car, van, truck, SUV, etc. I literally would have to draw pictures for them in order to get them to identify at least what type of body the vehicle is. Made for some frustrating shifts.

I agree that you should be able to speak the language of your country at least well enough that you can communicate with another person who speaks the main language. I'm not saying that the other cultures should be assimilated and forbidden from speaking their language; I'm just saying you should be fluent in the main language.

As for professional trucking, I think that the trucking industry should operate the same way the airline systems operate. All pilots must be able to speak English regardless of what country you come from.
    Last edited by Spee-Dee; 09-08-2005, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Roger doger on that Spee-Dee. When I was stationed in Korea and Turkey (plus countries I visited) it was MY responsibility to learn THEIR language. If I didn't learn the how to ask for the basics, I WASN'T GIVEN A DANG THING. As I see it, that's one of the problems with our great melting pot of a nation. We make it far too easy for non-English speakers to live within our borders. Hand it all to them on a silver platter. Don't make them work for anything, that's the American way!!

Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

Originally posted by beano00
        Don't make them work for anything, that's the American way!!
        It sure is even with english speaking people.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by beano00
          We make it far too easy for non-English speakers to live within our borders. Hand it all to them on a silver platter. Don't make them work for anything, that's the American way!!

That is a whole different thread right there and one big-*** can of worms waiting to be opened.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
            The only point is that many people who do come here attempt to learn the language and we need to cut them some slack. Some work harder then others at it but learning a new language takes time.

TGY
            Yes, I totally agree and thank them for making an effort. Let them know that they are appreciated so they will continue making an effort. Never, ever make fun of anybody because of the way they talk.

If I were to visit a foreign country I definitely would try to learn that country's language.

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
            I agree that you should be able to speak the language of your country at least well enough that you can communicate with another person who speaks the main language. I'm not saying that the other cultures should be assimilated and forbidden from speaking their language; I'm just saying you should be fluent in the main language.
            Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.
            Last edited by CTR man; 09-08-2005, 07:25 PM.
            www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
            In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4057 users online. 227 members and 3830 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X