Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This has to be a sign of the apocalypse, right?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so creative about making a student write an essay?

Comment

Originally posted by cleetus0219
      Zap-
      I DID read your posts, that's why I decided to reply. You missed the point however, as you continue to call an authority figure a 'mental midget.'
      LOL you have got to be kidding me! What school do you work at??

I am an adult...talking to what I assume are adults. I do not...nor would I...suggest that is appropriate for a child to use to an authority figure. I would not use that term in the presence of my child. I got the point just fine...however you did not.

These particular school officials EARNED that title in my dealings with them. I do not use that term in general.

Don't you realize that these 'mental midgets' have no choice but to follow what rules the school admin sets for them?
      OH...the OTHER mental midget...the mental midget in charge...I see...that makes it all ok. Lets just continue to pass the buck.

Could you imagine that your kid came home and said- 'My mental midget counselor is making me write a 5 page report on why I was a punk. I now have no time to do my other homework, study for my wood shop test, nor play Halo tonight. Dad, PLEASE complain and tell them that they are wrong for making me do that!'
      Yes, I can imagine. (While my child knows better than even THINK about trying that stunt...I will humor you.) It starts with a stern toungue lashing for disrespecting the authority. (I will find out the particulars...and make my OWN decision on the particular school official's abilities or lack there of). Then, I will strongly suggest that he gets started because not playing Halo is the LEAST of his worries if he does not get the report AND homework done. Period.

And what will parents do?
      Parents in general? Or just me? After all...you claim I am the problem. I just told you what I would do...so I will assume that you do not refer to me for this question.

They will fly of the deep end, contact the school board, and demand the resignation of the 'mental midget' that ordered such an atrocious act. And the ammunition - that the paper will take away from study time- will be sufficient to have the counselor reprimanded.
      Yup...some will. And those are likely to be just like the ones that I witnessed being abused and humiliated at the hands of school officials as students.

That does NOT however let them off the responsibility to do what is right for their kid and teach them respect for authority even if they disagree at times. (excessive circumstances excepted)

Meanwhile, your kid never learns to take responsibility and continues to enjoy wiping out hordes of people on Halo.

I assume you mean "THEIR" kids...refering to the general "PARENTS" above.
      ....in that scenario...your conclusion would be correct I would say. As I have been saying all along.

While you kid may have 'outsmarted' the numerous school officials that just want to get through their careers without being called into the principal's office every day for using a creative punishment, it's much easier to just impose the suspension and be done with it. After all, the suspension is tried and true, plus it gives the kid a FULL day to play Halo.

Ok....don't know about the schools you came from...but we called that a D- ....barely above failing.

Again...a fine example of school "authority" just passing the buck to the kids...to the parents (where often it DOES belong) so they can just slide by doing the least possible and getting the paycheck. Wow...I think you just made my whole point with that one.

Suspensions are the easy way out, I agree,.
      Yup. What I just said

... your kid should know the rules by 4th or 5th grade, and it is your responsibility as the parent to make sure he does.
      My kid is just going into the 4th grade....and he knows the rules well. If you are talking about the general parent's kids....I agree.

If your kid gets suspended from school, the punishment shouldn't end there. There ought to be some form of punishment from you as well, so perhaps his 'day off' isn't so enjoyable.
      My kid knows that is a fact of life....UNLESS it is for some assinine issue like a thumb and finger=GUN....that's just absurd. He will be getting no punishment from me for doing nothing wrong.

Now...when he made the innapropriate comment...he spent the day in his room without anything electrical....AND he wrote the teacher an apology.

..........Ok...that said...do parents in general follow that rule...I don't think so. Should they...I think they should. Will they? Prolly not.

Looks like the out of control school officials are getting what they gave and don't like it. On the other hand, the students and parents who were former students are going overboard.

What's the answer Einstein?
      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

The answer: Use common sense.

I picked at you because instead of backing an authority figure who works at the school, you choose to instead 'fight the system' because you feel a moral obligation to do so. Well, kudos to you for taking a stand. But in 10 years when your kid gets locked up because he learned to fight the system instead of just do what he's told, you'll be singing a different tune. It appears that you'll be one of those parents that comes in at 3am exclaiming that the "cops are wrong," "my kid shouldn't have been locked up," "there's no way my kid did what you're telling me," and my personal favorite, "I'll have your badge."

My other post isn't completely directed at you, portions are directed at "you" in general- meaning that it is directed at other parents who cover their kids, right or wrong.

If you want to change things, get yourself to a PTA or school board meeting, cause a stink, and demand change. But until then, you need to show your kid that you're not on his side when he does things that are not acceptable at the school, which includes calling the counselor names.

Signed, Einstein

Comment

The answer: Use common sense.

I picked at you because instead of backing an authority figure who works at the school, you choose to instead 'fight the system' because you feel a moral obligation to do so. Well, kudos to you for taking a stand. But in 10 years when your kid gets locked up because he learned to fight the system instead of just do what he's told, you'll be singing a different tune. It appears that you'll be one of those parents that comes in at 3am exclaiming that the "cops are wrong," "my kid shouldn't have been locked up," "there's no way my kid did what you're telling me," and my personal favorite, "I'll have your badge."

My other post isn't completely directed at you, portions are directed at "you" in general- meaning that it is directed at other parents who cover their kids, right or wrong.

If you want to change things, get yourself to a PTA or school board meeting, cause a stink, and demand change. But until then, you need to show your kid that you're not on his side when he does things that are not acceptable at the school, which includes calling the counselor names.

Signed, Einstein

Well...you still just don't get it.

I DO back school authority...but not when it is obviously absurd in it's positions. My kid knows without a shadow of a doubt he is to follow the school rules ...even if he doesn't agree with them.

The "system" you say I am not backing....is one that has proven to me that it is made up of some that I called mental midgets earlier. The whole purpose of the system was to look out for the best interest of the child when there. School officials going outside the rules themselves...and abusing their authority, does not belong in the system. That should never be protected by policy nor position. That is true for ANY kid...certainly not just mine. If I don't watch out for my kid who will? If the shool gets it right...I add punishment as I deam appropriate. If they get it wrong, I explain why to my kid and admonish him that he did nothing I feel is wrong...but he is still to follow the rules in school.

You have apparently confused me with one of the parents who idiotically think his kid can do no wrong. Well..you are just plain mistaken.

I think you must have also gotten confused when you tried to read what I have posted. The counselor was never called names. Different kid...different time. This kid was OVERHEARD by his teacher talking to another student ...referring to her being an "ahole" (exact quote) that particular day. Did he deserve some form of punishment...absolutely. Was he being disrespectful to authority? Probably. He was not addressing the teacher so it could fall either way. I think the punishment from the school should have fit the 'crime'. Instead...they suspended him. Way lack of common sense there. When they suspended him for putting his finger and thumb in the position they said was a violation of their "no weapons" policy.....that was just plain assinine. No way around that much absurdity......I don't care what school you work at you can't logically justify that action.

I"ll ask again...what school do you work at?

(btw...I did not mean to offend with the Einstein comment...my apologies)
          Last edited by zap; 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM.
          An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I don't work at a school. I don't NEED to work at the school to know how things operate because I have to deal with the same type of PC administrative crap they do, only on a different level. They deal with students, I deal with scumbags.

Yes, some of their rules are asinine, stupid, and over zealous for minor infractions. I won't dispute that at all. But like I posted, it seemed like you were badmouthing people that should and probably DO know better, but have little control over what they can and can't do.

Getting into trouble for the hand gesture is pretty lame, but the rules have been in effect for some time. The kid probably knew better, but wanted to test the system. Unfortunately he got burned for it, as stupid as it is.

Sincerely, Einstein

Comment

Disrespectful? Yup. Funny as hell? Also yes.
              "The world isn't as it should be. It's harsh. And it's cruel. That's why there's us. Champions. We live as if the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."-Angel Season 4

Comment

Hell, I wouldn't worry one bit about the teachers, I would worry though about my friggin parents when they got wind of it.
                "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3079 users online. 211 members and 2868 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X