Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This has to be a sign of the apocalypse, right?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That means teacher should be able to tell some of the worthless students the same thing, right? Or would that be inappropriate?

Comment

I've got to give credit where it's due. I couldn't do a teaching job. It's bad enough spending 20 minutes in the company of some of these oiks and I've got a big stick. Nothing is more vexing than some little *chooses words with care* good for nothing accusing his teacher of having assaulted him/her because the teacher was holding his etc arms when the little turd (now I've done it) was going beserk. Even my force, which loves to arrest for pretty much anything (looks good for PR purposes) has taken the common sense that if it happened in school, it should stay in school. Personally I always used to tell teachers that unless they'd chainsawed the legs off Junior, I would be boxing it off.
      I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Now I can remember back in 5th grade I had a mouth on me. But I never did swear at a teacher. I would drop the F bomb, and everything else but should respect to my teachers. But I turned out just fine. I finally learned that I didn't need these words and cut it down A LOT.

So if you have a 5th grader, you better be careful.

Comment

Bring back the paddle, I say. There's a lot of flesh on the *** for a reason.

This is just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Badkharma
            Bring back the paddle, I say. There's a lot of flesh on the *** for a reason.

This is just ridiculous.
            I was actually having a conversation about this subject with someone while I was in Calgary over the weekend. He posed the question "what do you think would happen if a teacher pulled a paddle on a student today?" Do you honestly think some student is going to let you take a swing at them with an object? The younger ones maybe our of just being scared. Some of the older ones are more than likely going to either pull a gun or a knife on the teacher or beat the crap out of him/her. Today's youth are not the same youth back in the olden days of 1965 and prior. They're not just going to take crap from teachers.

Comment

IMHO, lack of *** whoppins, MTV, Bart Simpson and Bevis & Butthead were all at the fore front of the degradation of America. It's only gotten worse and will continue to get worse. Bring back the paddle I SAY! Nothing like a good old fashion mouth washing to get their attention.

Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

I was able to read through the second paragraph and had to stop. I got so confused.

Do I laugh at the absurdity or cry at whats becoming of our world.
                Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Woodles
                  I was actually having a conversation about this subject with someone while I was in Calgary over the weekend. He posed the question "what do you think would happen if a teacher pulled a paddle on a student today?" Do you honestly think some student is going to let you take a swing at them with an object? The younger ones maybe our of just being scared. Some of the older ones are more than likely going to either pull a gun or a knife on the teacher or beat the crap out of him/her. Today's youth are not the same youth back in the olden days of 1965 and prior. They're not just going to take crap from teachers.

.....you forgot to mention that they will not either accept responsibility for their own actions....nor direction from ANY authority figure.

...sad to say..you are absolutely correct.
                  An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up
                    Do I laugh at the absurdity or cry at whats becoming of our world.

Good point.
                    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Comment

As a teaher in college I don't really get real disapline problems.But,if a kid is fresh I uaually say"I don't make enough money to take abuse",and they usually back off.I have friends who teach who were hit by students.One is on permanent disability.She was smashed in the head by a high school student with a textbook,and has a headace for life.My brother was pushed down a flight of stairs by a student,a friend (who has arthritis)was pushed down by a student.Also,my brother was once doing lunchroom duty,and a female teacher called him to help her,a student(problem kid,expelled numerous times)was beating up another kid.My brother pulled him off.The parents of the bad kid called the cops on my brother for touching their kid,and tried to have him arrested.His principal came to his defense.

Comment

I teach a course in the spring called persuasion.In the Text there is a whole chapter on cursing,which essentially says that you are not persuasive when you use dirty words.Whenever I used a dirty word in front of my nother(as an adult)She'd say "For that you went to college?"In other words,she felt I should use more intelligent words.My kids know curse words are unacceptable in my classroom.I have no problems with that.

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                          . Imagine KNOWING you can think circles around your school officials? If you don't want to go do school today.

Not for nothing, but you sound like part of the problem. Allowing your kids to talk back and disrespect an authority figure is a sure path to life long problems.

I doubt your kid can out-think his counselor, and you shouldn't promote that kind of attitude.

Think for a moment how all authority figures have their hands tied now. We can not express how we feel about something, nor can we act to take appropriate measures to change behavior problems. I'd love to take some of these punks I deal with behind a building and beat the snot out of them for their disrespectful attitude, or at least be able to scare them into submission and force them to learn respect. Of course, that is not possible.

It all begins with bad parenting. Parents that stick up for their kids when they shoot off their mouths, pop the finger to authority figures, and choose to laugh at those that tell them what to do, are a major portion of our problems.

When your kid needs a smack in the mouth, he should get it. When he needs to be grounded, he needs to STAY grounded. When punishment is dealt, it needs to be swift and appropriate.

Quit sticking up for your kid. Take the role of a parent, and not one of his punk friends.

Comment

Originally posted by cleetus0219
                            Not for nothing, but you sound like part of the problem. Allowing your kids to talk back and disrespect an authority figure is a sure path to life long problems.

I doubt your kid can out-think his counselor, and you shouldn't promote that kind of attitude.

Think for a moment how all authority figures have their hands tied now. We can not express how we feel about something, nor can we act to take appropriate measures to change behavior problems. I'd love to take some of these punks I deal with behind a building and beat the snot out of them for their disrespectful attitude, or at least be able to scare them into submission and force them to learn respect. Of course, that is not possible.

It all begins with bad parenting. Parents that stick up for their kids when they shoot off their mouths, pop the finger to authority figures, and choose to laugh at those that tell them what to do, are a major portion of our problems.

When your kid needs a smack in the mouth, he should get it. When he needs to be grounded, he needs to STAY grounded. When punishment is dealt, it needs to be swift and appropriate.

Quit sticking up for your kid. Take the role of a parent, and not one of his punk friends.
                            You Sir...must not have read the rest of that post...or the numerous ones prior to it.

I agree with your position overall. However, I will NOT allow a mental midget school official to discipline my kid BEYOND academic measures. I want them to assign reports...written apologies etc, but I'll handle the physical stuff personally. Believe me....my kid is not an angel...but he is much more respectful of authority than most kids I deal with. (that's a lot of kids btw)

Had you not taken my quote out of context...you would realize that I have a MAJOR ISSUE with kids and parents running the school with threats of violence and legal action. That is just wrong.

On the other hand....had you read the entirety of my posts on the subject, you would also know that I have dealt with mental midgets locally who have the opportunity to affect my kid. When school officials have one answer to every problem....suspension....it does not take a kid genius to figure out that if you want out of school today, just do any small thing and they will send you home. Bad teachers and school officials STARTED the ball of disrespect rolling in the schools. I have witnessed it as both a student and a parent. I have no leniencey for my kid when he knowingly breaks the rules....he knows he is to follow the rules, then talk to me if he has a problem with them.

I do however absolutely consider it assinine that a kid is suspended for making his thumb and finger into a 'gun'. Not just my kid either. I told my kid they have no clue and their action was indeed stupid...HOWEVER...he was to FOLLOW the school ruls...even the stupid ones while he was there. Perod.

I Sir, am not the problem that you suggest. I am, however, the ****ed off parent that is sick and tired of ignorant school officials passing the blame when it is not warranted.

I fully understand that they have a tought job...I would not want their job. But, the argument is clear and very convincing that in the local schools it is the school officials that caused much of the agrivation that the more ignorant parents pass on inappropriately to their kids. An example would be "If you touch my kid I'll _____" Those parents are responsible for their kids behavior. However, it IS the school officials' jobs to not loose kids at the 3rd and 4th grade levels by just suspending them for any perceived offense.

Comment

Originally posted by zap

I agree with your position overall. However, I will NOT allow a mental midget school official to discipline my kid BEYOND academic measures. I want them to assign reports...written apologies etc, but I'll handle the physical stuff personally. Believe me....my kid is not an angel...but he is much more respectful of authority than most kids I deal with. (that's a lot of kids btw)

When school officials have one answer to every problem....suspension....it does not take a kid genius to figure out that if you want out of school today, just do any small thing and they will send you home. .

You're absolutely right. When I was in grade five I got into a fight with some guy while we were playing soccer during recess. (It was kind of an unfair fight though; he was a lot smaller than me.) I ended up getting suspended for half of the day while the other guy got suspended for the whole day. I ended up finding out that I enjoyed getting suspended. No annoying teacher telling me what to do. I got more work done during my suspension than I did in class. Two days later I got into another fight playing soccer with another guy. I didn't get suspended this time. Instead I was forced to apologize in front of the entire class. That wasn't as much fun so I didn't get into any more fights in elementary school.

Comment

Zap-
                                I DID read your posts, that's why I decided to reply. You missed the point however, as you continue to call an authority figure a 'mental midget.'

Don't you realize that these 'mental midgets' have no choice but to follow what rules the school admin sets for them? Could you imagine that your kid came home and said- 'My mental midget counselor is making me write a 5 page report on why I was a punk. I now have no time to do my other homework, study for my wood shop test, nor play Halo tonight. Dad, PLEASE complain and tell them that they are wrong for making me do that!'

And what will parents do? They will fly of the deep end, contact the school board, and demand the resignation of the 'mental midget' that ordered such an atrocious act. And the ammunition - that the paper will take away from study time- will be sufficient to have the counselor reprimanded. Meanwhile, your kid never learns to take responsibility and continues to enjoy wiping out hordes of people on Halo.

While you kid may have 'outsmarted' the numerous school officials that just want to get through their careers without being called into the principal's office every day for using a creative punishment, it's much easier to just impose the suspension and be done with it. After all, the suspension is tried and true, plus it gives the kid a FULL day to play Halo.

Suspensions are the easy way out, I agree, but your kid should know the rules by 4th or 5th grade, and it is your responsibility as the parent to make sure he does. If your kid gets suspended from school, the punishment shouldn't end there. There ought to be some form of punishment from you as well, so perhaps his 'day off' isn't so enjoyable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4356 users online. 288 members and 4068 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X