300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since it appears that every state is different

since all states appear to be different, how many states make you go through an academy and then worry about finding a job, versus they way it is here, you get a job, then go through the academy.

In CA it is city to city. Some cities req' you to go through their own academies, some send theirs to various academies, some recruit out of the pay your own way academies, just depends.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

In CT, you get hired first then attend the academy. The hiring process can take 6 months to a year and then the academy and FTO training is about another year.

Many departments give precedent to cops already certified.
      Aude Sapere

Comment

In Indiana, you get hired first, only after about a year of interviews, and them contacting your family , neighbors , schools etc...Then about 3 mos. of psychological evaluations, physicals etc....THEN your offered a job, and THEN off to the Academy.

Comment

I don't know of any state that makes you go through an academy then find a job, They may sucker you into going through one at your own expense then think about hiring you.
          Here you might go through an academy at a community college not have a job and the academy certfication expire before you get the job.
          Or you might pay your way through it get hired and the department hiring you will put you through their own again.
          Futile effort all the way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            I don't know of any state that makes you go through an academy then find a job, They may sucker you into going through one at your own expense then think about hiring you.
            Here you might go through an academy at a community college not have a job and the academy certfication expire before you get the job.
            Or you might pay your way through it get hired and the department hiring you will put you through their own again.
            Futile effort all the way around.
            not me,,, i may have miss read several post in here, but it looked to me that several people were going to academies then looking for jobs,,,thats just messed up to me. here i got hired, went through fto, then went to the academy, then back to my dept.
            again, i may have just misread several of the post in here.

Comment

gotthblues...maybe wrong place for the post? I've read where people send themselves through and then get hired. And not necessarily a community college program. In my state, you cannot go until you are on with a LE agency.

Comment

okay, well i guess i just misread some posts in here, 10-22 the question

Comment

Not to contradict Bodie... however from my perspective it is a little different.

EVERY department that I have talked too (I have applied to 6, and know of several others that are the same) require academy completion and certification prior to even looking at your application.

I know there are cases of civilian employees going throught the academy in uniform, but they are paying their own way. ...at least in my area they are. No agency here will pay for you to go through the academy any more. Unless of course you wanna be a state troop.
                  An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

In NY, you absolutely can not attend a police academy without a department affiliation.

Comment

In NJ you can do it either way. It used to be that you would be hired and then sent to the academy, but with more and more competition out there the "alternate route" of paying your own way through the academy and then looking for a job is becoming very big. It's how I got my job and I still have to look for over a year to find something. NJ is extremely political though so you need every advantage you can get.

Comment

Hmmm....WTPD...I think I know you, maybe not?

Comment

Zap

That's because they are trying to SAVE MONEY. It's easier to hire somebody that paid for the certification rather then a fresh face they have to pay for.
                          Most of those agencies hire very few and are not at the top or even medium level of the pay scale in Ohio.
                          Last edited by Bodie; 08-31-2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                            That's because they rae trying to SAVE MONEY. It's easier to hire somebody that paid for the certification rather then a fresh face they have to pay for.
                            Most of those agencies hire very few and are not at the top or even medium level of the pay scale in Ohio.
                            You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately...that is all there is about an hour north of you.
                            An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

i am aware of going through a college to get your cert. but am i correct in saying that there are NO STATES that you HAVE to go through an academy then look for a job, its just a choice, is that correct. cause the way it looked arizona, ohio, and some others up in the northeast require you to go to the academy then find a job, i have seen several people in here talking about going through the academy and cant find a job, or are applying to 5 depts. now that they are out of the acad.
                              do some states have privately owned acads. that you can go through. here it is either the state acad. or through a few colleges, and only 4 depts that i can think of have their own academy which is regulated by the state.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3948 users online. 247 members and 3701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X