Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Duty Carry Question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Off-Duty Carry Question

    I'm in the academy right now and have a question regarding off duty carry.

    At a lot of concerts, sporting events, clubs and festivals around here, security checks people for weapons, drugs, alcohol, etc. What do you do in these situations? Have your badge and ID ready, or just don't carry?

  • #2
    Originally posted by UA2k1GT
    I'm in the academy right now and have a question regarding off duty carry.

    At a lot of concerts, sporting events, clubs and festivals around here, security checks people for weapons, drugs, alcohol, etc. What do you do in these situations? Have your badge and ID ready, or just don't carry?
    here, you can not take your firearm to an establishment that's main purpose is the sell of alcohol,, i know of two officers that lost their jobs for carrying concealed in a bar for a pool tournament *they werent drinking either*

    Comment


    • #3
      .............
      Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 06:56 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
        wow that is strict, here in canada i don't think police can even carry off duty, except for some undercover and detectives.
        how is that stricter *is that a word*, anyway, how's that, atleast here we can carry off duty, atleast for the most part. do they give a reason why you guys cant carry off duty. that would suck. concealed carry and take homes are a major perk of the job.

        Comment


        • #5
          ...........
          Last edited by MAD_MAX333; 12-23-2005, 06:55 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think the question you are getting at is can you carry your firearm in all locations. Well, I don't know about every state, but in most states if you are a certified peace officer you can take your firearm in any location as long as you have your badge and ID. However, you still need to keep in mind that you probably don't want to be wearing it if you are consuming alcohol, or if you are in a place thats sole purpose is the sale of alcohol. Prior to doing anything, I would check what your department and state policies regarding this matter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
              i think in canada some cops carry offduty anyway, but obviously it is not expected like in US... but then again out gun laws are MUCH different...

              and i meant stricter as in the fact that they lost their job , i would think just a "forced vacation" would do.
              ohh,,okay, here in oklahoma it was a felony to do that, so they werent going to call it anything else. it was kinda a bad deal,, a civi in the bar saw one of the officers side arm under his shirt, but they had no idea who they were, as far as they knew, they were just sore losers who might shot them if they lost, sooooooooo, when the uniform officers got there, the owner of the bar was less than happy.
              i used to work at a smaller pd, and it wasnt required of us to carry off duty, however, since it was smaller, everyone knew you and you would run into the same terd atlest 4 times a day,, so i started carrying mine, plus i got jumped by a terd in the parking lot of walmart by a terd that i dui'd about 3 weeks after to the incedent.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jayt_1923
                I think the question you are getting at is can you carry your firearm in all locations. Well, I don't know about every state, but in most states if you are a certified peace officer you can take your firearm in any location as long as you have your badge and ID. However, you still need to keep in mind that you probably don't want to be wearing it if you are consuming alcohol, or if you are in a place thats sole purpose is the sale of alcohol. Prior to doing anything, I would check what your department and state policies regarding this matter.
                yea, what he said, *sorry, i got sidetracked*.

                wait, i just read that again, up there were you are, you can have your weapon if you are drinking????

                Comment


                • #9
                  We can carry off duty, but when your going to a concert or other such place that prohibits it.....why would you need to carry then?

                  As for the "officers" who lost their jobs because of carrying in a bar, all I can say is BRAVO!!! Glad to see them gone...guns and alcohol are a no-no.

                  Truthfully, I see no point to carry off duty, at least that is my opinion. I don't have that many people who don't like me, and the ones that do....I don't sweat no way. If you see something go down...call 911...your just a human doing a job to support your family...your not Superman.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by redstag
                    We can carry off duty, but when your going to a concert or other such place that prohibits it.....why would you need to carry then?

                    As for the "officers" who lost their jobs because of carrying in a bar, all I can say is BRAVO!!! Glad to see them gone...guns and alcohol are a no-no.

                    Truthfully, I see no point to carry off duty, at least that is my opinion. I don't have that many people who don't like me, and the ones that do....I don't sweat no way. If you see something go down...call 911...your just a human doing a job to support your family...your not Superman.
                    i didnt say you should take it to a concert or bar, i was giving an answer, but it looked like you said you can carry if you are drinking but you dont advice it, here if youre under the influence, which we know doesnt acutally take a lot, then it is a felony to possess a firearm, even if you are an officer, again it looked like you said that in your area, you could do this, so i was double checking,,,
                    i used to not carry off duty,,but again, like i said, i was jumped in a parking lot by a terd that i dui'd, and i had my 3yr old with me, kinda changed my thinking, i started carrying mine alot more after that, not so that i could spring into action, but that i could defend my family and self if put in that position again. but i agree, there shouldnt be a firearm in a bar, concert, or other situation maybe similar.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by redstag
                      We can carry off duty, but when your going to a concert or other such place that prohibits it.....why would you need to carry then?

                      Truthfully, I see no point to carry off duty, at least that is my opinion. I don't have that many people who don't like me, and the ones that do....I don't sweat no way. If you see something go down...call 911...your just a human doing a job to support your family...your not Superman.
                      Just my opinion
                      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by redstag
                        As for the "officers" who lost their jobs because of carrying in a bar, all I can say is BRAVO!!! Glad to see them gone...guns and alcohol are a no-no.
                        they werent drinking, but they did have their weapons on them, while in a bar while off duty.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by redstag
                          We can carry off duty, but when your going to a concert or other such place that prohibits it.....why would you need to carry then?

                          Truthfully, I see no point to carry off duty, at least that is my opinion. I don't have that many people who don't like me, and the ones that do....I don't sweat no way. If you see something go down...call 911...your just a human doing a job to support your family...your not Superman.
                          You know I've had this argument with people who share your opinion before. They didn't care what situations I pointed out. Therefore, I don't expect to change your mind.

                          However, the big one for me:

                          I was at the hospital with my wife for the delivery of my now almost two year old daughter. She wasn't quite ready to deliver and they had instructed us to walk around the hospital.

                          While we were walking, it was roughly midnight. We did not see the first security officer. As we come around a *completely* vacant hallway, a maintenance man appears out of nowhere. This guy is twice my size and looks familiar. The next words out of his mouth were, "Hi Officer. Do you remember me? You arrested me about two months ago." Needless to say, the look on his face was not one of happiness. It was one of sheer disgust.

                          Immediately, all kinds of scenarios start running through my head. Here I am with my pregnant wife and have a bad guy that has confronted me in the hallway. Judging from the looks on his face, I was not feeling his intentions were good.

                          At this point, I could not justify the use of force. However, my body language I think spoke volumes to him. I bladed off with my gunside away from him. I believe this made my gun imprint on my shirt. When I did this, he looked down, still obviously ****ed, turned around and walked away.

                          You won't see me leave home without a gun from now on. Do I always conceal carry? No. It depends on the location and my feeling. However, I generally always have a firearm within reach.

                          I have ran into multiple felons that I've arrested. I've locked up drug traffickers. In addition to that, I know that officers in the northeast have been intentionally targeted and killed by drug offenders and gang-bangers while off-duty.

                          I don't know how many reasons you need to carry. However, my personal encounter is enough for me. The fact that bad guys are targeting off-duty officers is just icing on the cake.

                          As far as carrying in weapon-free venues: Do you actually think a weapons free policy keeps guns and knives out of a venue? I guarantee you it does not. Georgia law specifically provides an "Off-duty" exemption which states I can carry *ANYWHERE* throughout the state without restriction. As a result, I've carried concealed into many "gun-free" concerts,etc. Guess what.. They didn't even notice.

                          You are living in a delusional world if you are a cop and actually believe that just because something is posted "no weapons" that no weapons come in.
                          Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AtlCop
                            You know I've had this argument with people who share your opinion before. They didn't care what situations I pointed out. Therefore, I don't expect to change your mind.

                            However, the big one for me:

                            I was at the hospital with my wife for the delivery of my now almost two year old daughter. She wasn't quite ready to deliver and they had instructed us to walk around the hospital.

                            While we were walking, it was roughly midnight. We did not see the first security officer. As we come around a *completely* vacant hallway, a maintenance man appears out of nowhere. This guy is twice my size and looks familiar. The next words out of his mouth were, "Hi Officer. Do you remember me? You arrested me about two months ago." Needless to say, the look on his face was not one of happiness. It was one of sheer disgust.

                            Immediately, all kinds of scenarios start running through my head. Here I am with my pregnant wife and have a bad guy that has confronted me in the hallway. Judging from the looks on his face, I was not feeling his intentions were good.

                            At this point, I could not justify the use of force. However, my body language I think spoke volumes to him. I bladed off with my gunside away from him. I believe this made my gun imprint on my shirt. When I did this, he looked down, still obviously ****ed, turned around and walked away.

                            You won't see me leave home without a gun from now on. Do I always conceal carry? No. It depends on the location and my feeling. However, I generally always have a firearm within reach.

                            I have ran into multiple felons that I've arrested. I've locked up drug traffickers. In addition to that, I know that officers in the northeast have been intentionally targeted and killed by drug offenders and gang-bangers while off-duty.

                            I don't know how many reasons you need to carry. However, my personal encounter is enough for me. The fact that bad guys are targeting off-duty officers is just icing on the cake.

                            As far as carrying in weapon-free venues: Do you actually think a weapons free policy keeps guns and knives out of a venue? I guarantee you it does not. Georgia law specifically provides an "Off-duty" exemption which states I can carry *ANYWHERE* throughout the state without restriction. As a result, I've carried concealed into many "gun-free" concerts,etc. Guess what.. They didn't even notice.

                            You are living in a delusional world if you are a cop and actually believe that just because something is posted "no weapons" that no weapons come in.

                            +1 on that very well put
                            si vis pacem para bellum

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I forgot to add... you also have to walk from your parking spot to the concert or sporting event... In Atlanta, that might put you walking through some really rough spots. Or: You could leave the gun in the car to get stolen when someone breaks in. Tell me how that is better.
                              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5302 users online. 287 members and 5015 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X