300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas permeable contacts

My opthalmologist recommends the gas perms contacts and said that they would be uncomfortable at first. Does anyone else here wear them? How uncomfortable were they starting out?

And, are they easy to lose?
    No partner is worth your tears -
    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

I have soft throw away ones, got them for the first time 2 weeks ago and they are fabulous. My eye doctor was real cool and thought it would help me out in my LE pursuit. He said he has been helping LE people for years with contacts and it makes the medical process easier if you wear contacts. I have no idea about this but right about now he ranks up there with God in my eyes. What is the difference between Gas permeable and soft? I do know that soft are very comfortable and other then a little dryness they are great. You should probably ask for a trial pair to test them for yourself to make sure they are right for you.
    "To each his own"

Comment

They hurt like he!! and yes they are fairly easy to lose. OK, they aren't that painful. If you get a tiny piece of dust in your eye it's gonna feel like a boulder. Good bye to any windy outdoor activities. OK, now that I've been so negative, I did wear them for at least 15 years.

I poured them down the sink by accident one day and went to the eye doc. He put some soft disposable lenses in my eyes until the replacement gas perms came in. I never wore the replacements, I bought some disposables for "camping" and never ever wore the gas perms again.

They might say gas perms aren't "hard" contact lenses, but they are rigid and they do hurt. If one gets off center, ouch, eyelash, big ouch, dirt, ouch.. fall asleep with them in, ouch...and if you're driving and get dust in your eyes, better be able to pull over and take out your contact, rinse it off and put it back. It's bearable and beats glasses....but...if there is any chance of wearing soft lenses...

ahhhh....it's like wearing nothing at all. I wear mine for days, weeks at a time (I was told to take them out for a couple of hours once a week, it's usually more like once a month) I can't even tell I'm wearing them... I sleep in them and never have had any problems with dust, dirt, eyelashes etc. Mine are also disposable so if I lose one or pour it down the sink, no biggie, just pull out a new one and put it in.

If you've never worn contacts it will still take awhile to get used to the soft lenses and soft are a bit harder to put in and especially take out...but they are worth it...
      Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

I've never worn gas perms, but I do wear Softlens 66's. I love them. I dispose of mine every month. Very easy maintnence.
        Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comment

I wore soft lenses for years, but changed to hard contacts a few years ago. I find that my vision stays clearer longer. I work nights, and those last couple of hours used to be blury with soft contacts. My hard contacts take care of that problem.
          However, they are easy to break, lose, and when something gets in your eyes, it hurts twice as bad. Try them both because what works for me may not work for you.

Comment

Thanks for the comments all.

I wore soft contact lenses for a number of years intil I scratched my cornea and a infection ensued. Now I have irregular astigmatism and soft contacts just arent practical anymore. I squint when I wear them. So the doc recommended these hard contacts.

I ordered a pair and I paid extra so that they are thinner on the edges. Supposed to be more comfortable or so I hear. They'll be here in a week. Cant wait! I hate my glasses!
            No partner is worth your tears -
            the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Thank God for my contacts! I wore Glasses for years. I finally got fed up with them and got Johnson & Johnson Acuview 2's. Wear 'em 2 weeks (take 'em out at night) and every other Friday I have a brand new pair. They're extreemly comfortable. If dust or an eyelash gets under them I can usually fix it by touching the lense to hold it still while I roll my eye around, it's easier than taking it out. My contacts helped my night vision too. I bought a new pair of glasses when I got contacts and I see better with the contacts.
              Road Warrior

"Every man dies, not every man really lives"

Comment

Many years ago I was told that soft lenses wouldn't work for me because I had astigmatism. I tried the gas permeables and found them very difficult to find if I dropped one trying to put it in, they were hard to find if they slid up under my eyelid, and once when I was outside on a windy day my eyes hurt and watered so bad I looked like I was crying. The only advantage was that they looked nicer than glasses, and in those days I was at an age where appearance really mattered.

After six or eight months I went back to regular glasses. They didn't seem to get any more comfortable. I finally decided comfort was more important, and the frames of my glasses hide my skimpy eyebrows.

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Snoopy1 ]

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: Snoopy1 ]

Comment

My wife wore gas perms for years and years. They were the worst things EVER for her. If there is another option at all, I would try it. Press your eye doctor for other solutions, because they are usually not fun to wear.

That said, her softs are still a bit of a hassle, but they're 100% more comfortable, so it is worth the hassle.
                  I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

Comment

I have switched to the 'Glasses while at work' and 'contacts while off work' mode of operation.

I use the AcuVue dailies - wear them once and toss them. Amazingly cheap for this kind of lens! No solutions to buy either.

I pay $90 for 45 pairs (about $1 per lens)
                    Ignorance can be remedied, stupidity cannot.

Comment

My wife has horrible astigmatism too, both eyes. Her contacts are weighted somehow, so that the correct side always is facing down (think a bike wheel with a lead weight clipped to the wheel, lift the bike off the ground and the wheel rotates until the weight is at the lowest point).

Like I said above, they REALLY help her. The gas perms were very painful sometimes, and the soft contacts work great for her. If the gas perms don't work, try a second opinion on your contacts. Worked for my wife
                      I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5927 users online. 354 members and 5573 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X