300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about running Code 3

What does that mean? I hear you guys talking about "running code 3" all the time, and I can't stand not knowing.

It means driving with your emergency lights and siren activated.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

code 1 is normal response
      code 2 is lights no siren
      code 3 is lights and siren

Comment

Sheriff Code is Signal 27 Emergency Run Lights & Siren REQUIRED
        In Ohio you cannot run with just lights you must use siren. Approach to in progress burglary call or robbery once you are close you shut both down.

Lots of rookies ands wannabes like to say "Code 3" because that watch too many cop shows on TV

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          Lots of rookies ands wannabes like to say "Code 3" because that watch too many cop shows on TV
          And do they say "roger dodger" and "over and out" over their radios too?

Thanks everyone! I no longer feel in the dark anymore.

Comment

No but don't encourage them either

Comment

Bodie, the department I work for calls it "Code 3". The officers and deputies here usually just call it "Running code" though.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Code three in my department is lights and sirens, if we are caught running code three without advising dispatch we get in more than a little trouble. The only exception is if you use the excuse that everyone was talking at once on the radio and you couldn't get on the air (it works but don't get caught too often).

Comment

Well of course they do because everyone knows the only way to do things is the way they do it in Bodie's world. News flash....its Code 3 in CA regardless of whether you are a rookie, wannabe or veteran.
                  Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

We just call it: "Running Hot"

And if "Code 2" using just lights, typically they are just the rear flashers so we just call them "Excuse Me" lights.
                    sigpic

Comment

In our agency it's just the opposite. Code 3 means "answer call routine", Code 2 means "answer call without delay" and code 1 means answer call emergency.
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

In Ohio you cannot run with just lights you must use siren. Approach to in progress burglary call or robbery once you are close you shut both down.

Actually Bodie, that's exactly what running with lights and siren is called in my department's SOP. Has been for all 19+ years of my tenure, and I would imagine several years before. I guess all 1,732 of us are just "wannabes" or "rookies" since we don't work in Ohio.

Comment

For us:

Code 1: No lights or siren / non-emergency call

Code 2: Lights and/or sirens if necessary / emergency (generally, using lights and sirens only to get through red lights.)

Code 3: Lights and siren / major emergency

The only time we use code 3 is if it
                          It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Hmmm, Code 3 here means running to get something to eat. Code 2... well, there's Code 2 liquid and Code 2 solid if you get me drift
                            "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
                            John Adams, April 15, 1814

Comment

Originally posted by biggesto
                              Hmmm, Code 3 here means running to get something to eat. Code 2... well, there's Code 2 liquid and Code 2 solid if you get me drift
                              Hmm. I could see that causing confusion if you were to move to a place where code 3 means emergency with all the bells and whistles. I think it's time for universal codes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4476 users online. 232 members and 4244 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X