Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta RCMP Members or Special Constables...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta RCMP Members or Special Constables...

i need some help from you guys. what can you guys tell me about Special Constables and their duties? i've done a lot of research but there isn't a lot of info about them. i am looking into the possability of becoming one next summer, any info would be greatly appreciated. i am looking mainly for Alberta guys and gals so you could maybe put me in touch with someone who can help me out. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Highwaystreets; 08-25-2005, 10:08 PM.

This is taken from http://www.solgen.gov.ab.ca/special_...lt.aspx?id=921.

What is a special constable and how can a person become one?

A special constable is a peace officer appointed by Alberta's Solicitor General and Minister of Public Security, under the Police Act, to enforce specific provincial and federal legislation. There are about 3,000 special constables employed in Alberta. Employers must be authorized by Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security to employ special constables and traditionally include municipal governments, police services, provincial government departments, the SPCA and First Nations. The enforcement carried out by special constables is recognized as supplemental to, and not a replacement for, the police service.

To be a special constable, you must be at least 18 years of age and either a Canadian citizen or a legal permanent resident. The Solicitor General and Minister of Public Security has the right to waive the citizenship requirement in the interest of improving law enforcement in Alberta.

Special constables must be of good character with no indictable or summary offence convictions, unless they are eligible for a pardon for that offence. They must also be qualified to carry out the services required and capable of meeting the minimum training standards.

To become a special constable, you must either be employed by an authorized employer or have a written agreement that you will be hired by that employer if you qualify for appointment.

Application forms are usually supplied by an authorized employer, and sent to Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security when completed. When you apply to become a special constable, you must also submit a criminal record check as part of your application.

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets
      i need some help from you guys. what can you guys tell me about Special Constables and their duties? i've done a lot of research but there isn't a lot of info about them. i am looking into the possability of becoming one next summer, any info would be greatly appreciated. i am looking mainly for Alberta guys and gals so you could maybe put me in touch with someone who can help me out. Thanks in advance.
      How about your nearest RCMP Detachment?

Our S/Csts are employed on our Provost Sections, which transfer persons in custody between Detachment cells and Provincial Courts, Provincial Correctional Centres and/or Federal Penitenitiaries.

If you are talking about S/Cst that work for Municipalities doing By-Law Enforcement or Traffic Enforcement, I might be able to put you in touch with a buddy of mine.

PM or eMail for more info.
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
        How about your nearest RCMP Detachment?

Our S/Csts are employed on our Provost Sections, which transfer persons in custody between Detachment cells and Provincial Courts, Provincial Correctional Centres and/or Federal Penitenitiaries.

If you are talking about S/Cst that work for Municipalities doing By-Law Enforcement or Traffic Enforcement, I might be able to put you in touch with a buddy of mine.

PM or eMail for more info.
        yah i am more interested in working for an municipalitiy. PM sent thanks for any help you can give me.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
          thanks Spee-Dee, always trying to help. yah i read that, it does a good job explaining what they are, but not what municiplaities currently have them

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets
            thanks Spee-Dee, always trying to help. yah i read that, it does a good job explaining what they are, but not what municiplaities currently have them
            I like trying to be helpful. I don't know much about Alberta though and how their S/Cst system works. I'm a little bit more familiar with Saskatchewan because my dad was telling me that I should work for Sakatchewan Highways and Transportation as a highway traffic officer so I've been researching that stuff here.

Comment

In Edmonton we have special constables for transit security, by law enforcement, park rangers, animal control. Any job openings can be found on the city's website www.edmonton.ca
              In addition many of our hospitals employ special constables, as well the parking enforcement unit is made up of special constables contracted through Paladin Security Services.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4467 users online. 261 members and 4206 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X