Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't caught any real recent news, so I hadn't heard that they had decided on life. Personally, I think she needs to die, but at least the jury didn't buy into her insanity crap. Someone who can drown five kids and then claim they didn't know what they were doing...
    Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

After reviewing the evidence that has been released, and taking in the enormity of the severity of the crime, the only sutable punishment is death. She will be out way before 40 years is up. I'm a little supprised that the jurors didn't inscribe the death penalty in this particular case.
      Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comment

I have one thing to say about the insanity thing... <i>DUH!</i> Drowning ones children isn't exactly a benchmark of mental stability. I think it should be pretty much assumed that she's a few cards short of a full deck. I've never understood how being insane can make a person "not guilty" of a crime they obviously commited; either they did it, or they didn't. Take insanity into consideration when sentencing them, if you must.

Even though part of me thoroughly enjoys the idea of hanging the woman by her toes in a big tub of water until she stops twitching - I can't, in good conscience, defend capital punishment for any reason, and so am in favour of the life sentence given in this case (assuming, of course, that they don't decide to let her out at some point. ) I guess that when it comes right down to it though, it doesn't matter what happens to her - it won't bring those babies back, and the only important thing is making sure that she doesn't get a chance to hurt anyone else.

Just my opinion, of course...
        Barbara.
        Barbara
        ~If I could get a firm grip on reality, I'd choke it!

"The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."

Comment

I'm anti death penalty so I would have voted life anyway but even if I wasn't I think that this is a better sentence. If she doesn't already she will soon start feeling enormously guilty over killing her kids. Thats much worse torment than death would ever be.

Comment

I also think her thoughts will wear on her.

However, concerning the death penalty,
            I'm not sure where I stand on it,the death penalty, anymore. Consider this:

If someone takes a baseball bat and comes toward me, raises the bat to strike, and says,"I'm going to beat your brains out!", and I then raise gun and shoot this person, I have legally used deadly force to save me from immediate death or crippling injury. I have carried out the death penalty on a deserving subject.

However, if in this scenario above, when I raise my pistol and point it at my attacker, he screams in terror and drops the bat and cries, "Please don't shoot me!", if I shoot him anyway, I have just commited a murder. I might get away with it or I might not.

The law states we can use deadly force ONLY to stop an IMMEDIATE threat of death or crippling injury. When my assailant drops his bat, the threat of injury or death is gone, so I must lower my weapon and not shoot. That is incumbant upon all.

So, given those facts, how can the state put someone to death after they have been captured and are not an immediate threat to anybody?

Aren't they guilty of murder? Does the state have a different set of laws they live by?

What do you think about it? This question is troubling me. If the state has to live by the same laws then they are wrong and are commiting crimes.

Comment

I still think she'll feel no remorse for murdering those babies. Maybe if someone had a tape recording of the torture she put her children through, and were forced to listen to thier screams, pleas, and fear day and night, she might grasp it.

As I said in an earlier post, let her fry. I'm all for the death penalty.

Comment

I am ambivalent about imposing the death penalty. In the Andrea Yates' case the Jury pronounced the right sentence. In Texas, the insanity plea hinges on whether a defendant can at the time of committing a crime can discern right from wrong-therefore can act as a moral agent. Yates admitted that she did in fact know right from wrong. Hence the insanity plea did not fly. This said, however, Yates by anyone's definition was mental ill and in the end proved to be a mitigating factor in the jury giving her a life sentence. The Yates' case proves that juries can pick their way through the ambiguity of law and render a proper sentence that befits the crime.

Comment

An eye for an eye...

Comment

Originally posted by kateykakes:
                    I still think she'll feel no remorse for murdering those babies.
                    Although I could not prove it, I've met someone who had a baby drown that just does'nt add-up in my mind. One to many lie's and differant accounts surrounding these peoples story, make it suspicious.

This led me to do some research on the topic of parents murdering there kids. Not a expert or anything but the one common factor amongst these sick people, is the lack of remorse for the victims.

Most of "them" like the personal attention thrusted on them when they are pregnant, well the child is born that attention is given mostly to the child, the mother is basicaly out in the cold. Simply put when the child is no longer around a new attention is thrust apon the sick "mother" that of symphothy for the loss, once again they have a new "sick" attention focused on them alone.

So as long as she has the focus of attention feeding her selfishness, i.e. her mental illness its doubtfull she'll feel remorse for the children.

Comment

I think they should drown her in a public square. I wouldn't hesitate to be the one to push her under if it was legal. Guess you know how I feel.
                      Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Well said, Billy.

Comment

Fry her!!!
                          "To each his own"

Comment

So, given those facts, how can the state put someone to death after they have been captured and are not an immediate threat to anybody?

Aren't they guilty of murder? Does the state have a different set of laws they live by?

What do you think about it? This question is troubling me. If the state has to live by the same laws then they are wrong and are commiting crimes.
                            Mike, I am going to try to answer your questions. Being a Christian, I believe that the God has set up government to include the death penalty. If you want I can give you specific verses. I believe based on my study of the Bible that there are 3 different instances when a human has the right to take the life of another human: self-defense, capital punishment, and war.

Putting my faith aside for a moment, there is a difference between self-defense for the citizen and for the government. The government goes to war in self-defense, we may shoot someone when we are attacked. The government also has the responsibility of protecting its citizens. Capital punishment is one of those ways. When a person, without cause, takes the life of another human being, they have just forfeited their own life.

Murder is such a heinous crime that it warrents a swift and just punishment. I do not believe it is right to have a family member of the victim commense the process (as they do in many Middle Eastern Countries). This is vengance, not justice. Also, I believe it should be humane (ie, water tourture treatment probably should not be implemented). At the same time, I believe that all five methods of execution that we use here in the US (fireing squad, hanging, electrocution, gas chamber, and lethal injection) are humane. In Biblical times, stoning was the prefered method. This gives an indication that maybe some amount of pain does need to be administered. That's why I personally don't favor lethal injection, because it is too easy. If a person can bring on possibly hours or days of torture to another human being, they can suffer for a few minutes in an electric chair.

Now, here is why I believe Andrea Yates deserves death. She admitted that she had planned it in advance. This is murder in the first degree because it was premeditated. Second, she waited for her husband to leave before she did it. She obviously did have some level of mental capacity. Third, she dialed 911 immediatly after the fact. This indicates that she knew that it was wrong. If she had done something right, why dial 911? Yes, she was ill, but she was conscience enough to realize that she was committing a crime and therefore should receive death.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Jeffrey ]
                            Sincerely,

Jeffrey

Comment

That despicable frickin' witch knew damned good and well what she was doing, and had the sense and mental capacity to simply get away and seek help! And if her husband could not see that as well, he is a bigger fool than I already think he is!

So she got life in prison. Although I think she deserved to die(and would have volunteered to "pull the switch"), she won't have it as easy in prison as a lot of folks seem to think she will.
                              She will have to spend her time in protective custody, or in a medical isolation unit. A lot of those women in prison are mothers, love their children, and miss them a great deal. And then to have someone like this evil witch put in among them? She'd be dead inside of a week!
                              I don't know about you, but I don't think I could handle being locked inside of a small cell 22 hours a day, just to be let out to exercise in a small fenced in area, or to go to the shower, or other business, and have to look forward to it for the rest of my life.

Maybe she didn't get off all that easily.
                              Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Well put Jeffrey. I couldn't agree more!!
                                Law abiding citizens sleep peacefully in their beds solely because dedicated men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4367 users online. 293 members and 4074 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X