Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m_chevy
    replied
    I'm not going to say I'm a gun freak and that I own a bazillion of them, BUT I do own a Glock 23 (Compact .40) and a Beretta Model 92 (Full-size 9mm) and my department issued me a H&k USP .45. Each of them are great. I use the .45 on duty (obviously) and the .40 when in aminstrative status and off-duty. My wife enjoys shooting the 9mm.

I am a good, not great, shooter and have been through hundreds of hours of shooting training with several different weapons. The most important thing I've learned is find what you are comfortable with. I would feel comfortable using any of the three weapons listed for on-duty carry. I prefer the .45. I can hit the target. The mags hold 12 each. And it makes a bigger hole.

If I couldn't hit the target with the .45, I would carry one of the other two.

Hit the target first, then worry about the size of the hole, ballistics, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DaveNT
    replied
    The 40 Cal Glock is the standard issue for NT Police in Australia and has been for a number of years now, I like this weapon and have never had a problem with it. Most other Aus Police use Glock 9m.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    Nothing wrong with that logic at all. A hit w/ a 9 is better than 7 misses w/ a 45.

Originally posted by mourgent
    Probably because I am not a very experienced shooter, but I prefer 9mm due to the fact that I can control the recoil better and put more shots where I want them to go. So I guess for me 9mm works better, since bullet size doesnt matter if you can't hit your target .

Leave a comment:

• edg103
    replied
    Originally posted by mourgent
    Probably because I am not a very experienced shooter, but I prefer 9mm due to the fact that I can control the recoil better and put more shots where I want them to go. So I guess for me 9mm works better, since bullet size doesnt matter if you can't hit your target .
    I thought the same thing. Try a Glock 22c (.40). I shot both the 22c and the 17 (9mm) back to back and to me the have the same kick therefore target aquisition time was the same. Took the .40 coming from a Sig P229 .357-no comparison.

Leave a comment:

• pawncop
    Guest replied
    My personal choice is 45 ACP followed by the .357 Sig. But to answer you question I would choose 40 S&W.

In standard police calibers, there is not a one shot stopping round. Therefore, since it is blood loss that usually causes the inability to continue the behavior (aside from CNS, central nervous system, disrutption) I submit:

Bullet placement is always key

A big hole is better than a litte hole.

More holes are better than one hole.

I carry a Glock 21.

Leave a comment:

• rpd1794
    replied
    We are issued the Sig .357 semi auto. Alot of guys prefer Glocks, but the Sig has proven to be a very nasty weapon. When we have had to employ it, the vast majority have been one shot stops.

Overall I'm much happier with this weapon than the old 9 mm and 45 Sigs I have carried in the past.

Leave a comment:

• ipscman
    replied
    HK Compact

I have about 25 pistols and the HK compact is one of my favorites. Just feels solid and with the single action trigger option is functions much like a cocked and locked 1911. Higher bore from the grip so a little more muzzle flip but still a very tight and enjoyable handgun. Fits in my hand like a glove.

Leave a comment:

• CBP1895
    replied
    I can't wait for CBP to transition to the HK .40 CAL. Compact but yet powerful. The G17 is a nice gun but is too heavy.

Leave a comment:

• grampa carl
    replied
    Originally posted by tan/grn
    It has been said that a hand gun (no matter the caliber) is what you use while trying to get to your shotgun/rifle. Notwithstanding that, I felt confident with the 46 rounds of 9mm I carried.

For an interesting read, I would highly recommend going to www.tacticalforums.com. Once there, go to the Terminal Effects Forum. Upon scrolling down, you should find a thread entitled something like, "LE Gel testing April 2005." ***Edit**You will have to go to the top and change the days to the past 75 days, it's an older thread*****

Dr. Gary Roberts, a Navy Lt. Commander is a nationally recognized ballistics expert who has done extensive testing for both the US military and LE around the country. In this thread, he reports tests results of various brands of various calibers of ammo. He does not make "kickbacks" for his recommendations. He does it to determine what ammo will best serve/protect the military and the men/women in le.

I don't understand a lot of the technical info on this site, as they have Medical docs, engineers, physicists, among some that contribute, but I do find what I understand to be informative.
    Thanks tan/grn for the info on the tactical forums website.

Leave a comment:

• Bluntforcetraum
    replied
    Thanks everyone for their input.

Leave a comment:

• hemicop
    replied
    Just finished a class with a well known firearms expert & trainer. His take on all this is simply a pistol is what you use until the rifle can be brought out,just like someone said earlier. My Dept. issues 40cal. Glocks & allows 45ACP if the off. wants to buy one, but it has to be a Glock. My Dept's. & this instructors take on this was that the Glock has a more consistent trigger-pull, no safetys to manipulate & with a minimum of operator servicable parts makes it easier to train with. Now, many people, including myself are/were skeptical of the Glocks but in the real world bullet placement is still important, most cops don't practice as often as they should & whatever agency you work for has their weapons for only one reason--that company offere it CHEAPER than anyone else, so the "bean counters " bought it .Perhaps the Glocks aren't so badafter all

Leave a comment:

• NCHawk56
    Guest replied
    Do you feel your side arm is your primary weapon? With the avaliablity of assualt rifles, shotguns, and machine guns why not use one of these weapons as your primary weapon. If it come to using your pistol, I feel more rounds in the magazine is better, because you are probably going to be scared and taking less than well aimed shots.

Stay Safe!!!

NCHawk56

Leave a comment:

• DMS 525
    replied
    Originally posted by nacorbier
    Shot placement IS everything. The guy with bad shot placement and a 30 round magazine will eventually place 1 to 2 rounds on target. The idea is to place rounds on the target before the target's spastic shooting hits you.
    My sentiments exactly. This day and age, with these high capacity weapons, too many think it is OK to "spray and pray." That was never the intention. Whether your weapon holds 6 shots or 16, MAKE EVERY SHOT COUNT!!

Leave a comment:

• tan/grn
    replied
    It has been said that a hand gun (no matter the caliber) is what you use while trying to get to your shotgun/rifle. Notwithstanding that, I felt confident with the 46 rounds of 9mm I carried.

For an interesting read, I would highly recommend going to www.tacticalforums.com. Once there, go to the Terminal Effects Forum. Upon scrolling down, you should find a thread entitled something like, "LE Gel testing April 2005." ***Edit**You will have to go to the top and change the days to the past 75 days, it's an older thread*****

Dr. Gary Roberts, a Navy Lt. Commander is a nationally recognized ballistics expert who has done extensive testing for both the US military and LE around the country. In this thread, he reports tests results of various brands of various calibers of ammo. He does not make "kickbacks" for his recommendations. He does it to determine what ammo will best serve/protect the military and the men/women in le.

I don't understand a lot of the technical info on this site, as they have Medical docs, engineers, physicists, among some that contribute, but I do find what I understand to be informative.
    Last edited by tan/grn; 09-13-2005, 03:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nacorbier
    replied
    Shot placement IS everything. The guy with bad shot placement and a 30 round magazine will eventually place 1 to 2 rounds on target. The idea is to place rounds on the target before the target's spastic shooting hits you.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4203 users online. 262 members and 3941 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X