300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mis-spent $$

The politicians say "There's no money in the budget..." at least you won't have to wonder about where all the money goes...

According to the Boston Globe, Congress just passed a new highway bill that includes 6,376 'pork barrel' projects. Among them:
    $5.9 million for a snow mobile trail in Vermont
    $2.75 million for the National Packard Museum in Ohio
    $223 million for a mile long bridge to serve an island in Alaska inhabited by 50 people....

And there's no money for Cops???
    Laying off Cops?
    The unions should be pitching a fit over stuff like this, but hardly anyone even knows...
    At least you know where the money that ISN'T paying for cops is going..
    What a disgrace
    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

You also have to keep in mind that 34% of the citizens of the city of Detroit live below the poverty level, and that Michigan has the worst economy in the states...WEll until Katrina walked thru Mississippi...
      Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Vegas needs to take em all in... 600+ prior experience hires would sure put a good dent in the (so I am told) 2400 slots they are wanting to fill in like the next 3 years.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
          I know the story on Morningstar, which is why I was wondering about the implication that the Detroit PD treated him badly. What did the DPD do wrong?

FWIW - Take this info with a grain of salt:

I heard through the grapevine that a DPD officer is testifying for the prosecutor's side.

IMHO, something really stinks. It is ridiculous for Kym Worthy (Wayne County prosecutor) to pursue the charges (2nd degree murder IIRC?) against Trooper Morningstar when MSP's own investigation cleared Morningstar. Big 'ol clusterfawk if you ask me...

BTW - ~ 150 or so officers will be cut by DPD, not the anticipated 600, among other various restructuring changes.

Further:

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/pol...e_20050830.htm

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/05...A01-297330.htm
          Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

FWIW - Take this info with a grain of salt:

I heard through the grapevine that a DPD officer is testifying for the prosecutor's side.

IMHO, something really stinks. It is ridiculous for Kym Worthy (Wayne County prosecutor) to pursue the charges (2nd degree murder IIRC?) against Trooper Morningstar when MSP's own investigation cleared Morningstar. Big 'ol clusterfawk if you ask me...
            Why WOULDN'T a police witness or investigator be testifying "for the prosecutor's side"? Specifically, what are you implying that they did wrong? Are they supposed to refuse to cooperate with the prosecutor? Among some other basic things, the only thing they have to prove for second degree murder is "that the defendant intended to create a very high risk of death or great bodily harm with knowledge that death or great bodily harm was the probable result of his act", and that the shooting was not justifiable or some lesser degree of homicide. Considering they have a videotape of the incident, the guy was unarmed, and had his pants around his knees, I would say Morningstar has a pretty good chance of being found guilty if he doesn't take a plea. Just like Larry Nevers AND Walter Budzyn were found guilty in the Malice Green affair. I hope for the best for the guy, but I haven't seen anything so far that indicates that the Detroit Police are doing, or have done, anything wrong in this individual case.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
              ...Why WOULDN'T a police witness or investigator be testifying "for the prosecutor's side"? Specifically, what are you implying that they did wrong? Are they supposed to refuse to cooperate with the prosecutor?...

Because everyone (fellow LEOs) is saying that this was a clean shoot, except for that lone DPD officer. So, we have a situation where one DPD officer is testifying against the MSP trooper, even though MSP's internal investigation has already cleared their trooper of any wrongdoing. Again, this is only based on what I have heard "through the grapevine." I'm not implying anybody did anything wrong here, but if all of the officers on scene are backing the story of the MSP Trooper, why is the one DPD officer not in agreement? Things that make you go "hmmm."

...Considering they have a videotape of the incident, the guy was unarmed, and had his pants around his knees, I would say Morningstar has a pretty good chance of being found guilty if he doesn't take a plea...

You and I both know that an unarmed person can be just as deadly as someone who is blatantly armed with a weapon. The media LOVES to spin the "but he was unarmed!" angle whenever there is a story of a police shooting. Perhaps there is other info we are not aware of? Were there furtive gestures/movements or threats made? Maybe his pants were of the "very baggy" variety and part of the waistband/pockets was still within reach of his hands? Suicide by cop? Remember, this is a homeless person with a history of drug abuse and most likely psychological disorders...that's another can of worms though.

It's not like this trooper has been involved in any other shoots where he killed someone, know what I mean? He has a steller record. If he felt that his life was in danger (or a fellow trooper/officer/citizen) and he felt deadly force was appropriate under the circumstances, then so be it.

All I'm saying is that something isn't adding up. Hopefully he is acquitted when this goes to trial and maybe one day the videotape will be made available for training purposes.
              Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5442 users online. 309 members and 5133 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X