300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layoffs in Detroit

The Detroit News said, by the end of this month another 600 officers are going to be layed off. That will result in fewer officers on patrol in the city, which has one of the highest murder rates in the nation -- 384 homicides last year. "

A reduction of 25 percent of sworn officers would provide for conditions that could lead to an unparalleled rise in crime and place the safety of citizens of this community in danger," the department said.

And the remaining Officers.

Police have been working without a contract since June 2004, and Stewart said the city wants officers to accept a 10 percent pay cut, a 10 to 20 percent increase in health care co-payments and an end to the defined-benefit pension. The pension would be replaced by a 401(k)-style defined contribution plan. The city's proposal also would give the chief the right to discipline officers without the need to conduct trial board hearings.

What the he!! is going on???? Are they trying to get officers killed?
    "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
    -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

I feel for those guys. I wonder where they will go. To to the city:you make your bed, now lie in it.

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

what the hell??? nothing about that news story makes any sense... thats all just putting more and more people at risk and lowering the protection the police can provide... and pay cuts??? aren't cops in detroit already working with a relativly low pay???

Comment

Yeah, That is why I am so mad. I live about 2 miles just outside detroit. Their will definatly be a shockwave of crime through my neighborhood. The worst part about it is the mayor kilpatrick has a good chance of winning this next election. Detroit thinks they had a problem before... They don't know what they are getting themselves into.
        With that many officers being layed off with experence, It will be impossible to find a job in this area for LEOs.
        "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

That's just horrible. I feel bad for all those hard working officers that are now going to be looking for employment elsewhere.

Another reason why I went to work for the County and not a city.

Comment

300+ kills a year and they are cutting personal??? and we were mad here into toronto just because they offered the police force lower than expected budget... this is nuts...

i HOPE the shockwave will only affect drug dealers and other bad guys and not innocent people cought in between... maybe if enough of these animals kill each other the budget and personal will be beefed up again

Comment

I'm not sure if my memory serves me right, but didn't either the chief or the mayor substantially increase the size of their personal police security detail? Maybe it was Philadelphia...
              I also think Detroit has a DA that is gunning for charging cops with crimes.
              You reap what you sew.

Comment

one of the benefits of being a cop is job security.... or with this news, use to be a benefit.

Comment

I saw an article about a week ago(can't remember where it was), but the city of Detroit has enough vacant lots and vacant homes that amount to the acreage of San Francisco. The city is going down the pipes fast. Their heroin dealers were so hard up they moved to rural Ohio. You can't even make it selling drugs in Detroit anymore

Henry Ford is probably rolling over in his grave. I feel bad for their already underpaid officers. If Kwame Kilpatrick wins another term, then the citizens deserve what they get. There are some really cool places in the Detroit area, but I doubt that my family and I will be making any trips there anymore. Its just sad.

Comment

I just hope the this does not spread through the whole state, and things change by next year, as I will be finished with my time in the Coast Guard. I already applied to Oakland County Sheriffs on Friday and was told I should probably wait until next year.

Comment

The Detroit News said, by the end of this month another 600 officers are going to be layed off. That will result in fewer officers on patrol in the city, which has one of the highest murder rates in the nation -- 384 homicides last year. "
                      Maybe they should try taking cops out of jobs that have no business being staffed by cops and putting them back on the street where they've belonged for the past 25 years.

They're policing a city that evolved to include an infrastructure to handle 2 million people as if it's still populated by 2 million, when in fact it's way less than half that. They don't need all the special task forces, they don't need a police band, they don't need an aviation unit, (especially to fly a helicopter to a police department of a border city to pick up a prisoner) they don't need a lot of stuff they keep around for the golden boys to staff. They could start by actually importing some leadership at the top. Take a look at the minutes from the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners' meetings to see what kind of morons are in charge. **** poor management.
                      Last edited by Frank Booth; 08-24-2005, 07:51 PM.

Comment

That place is a train wreck just waiting to happen. If that idiot Kilpatrick wins a re-election then screw the citizens they asked for what's comming their way.

The officers need to unite and stop writing tickets and slow their responce times for a week and let both the public and the city council feel the impact on the city's operating budget.

I feel for the officers, it's got to a be horrible working enviorment.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                          I feel for those guys. I wonder where they will go. To to the city:you make your bed, now lie in it.

TGY

They're all coming down here to ATL. I think I heard that we hired 18 laterals from Det. Dont know about the other 682...
                          Irish Toasts
                          When we drink, we get drunk.
                          When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
                          When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
                          When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                          So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
                            They could start by actually importing some leadership at the top. Take a look at the minutes from the Detroit Board of Police Commissioners' meetings to see what kind of morons are in charge. **** poor management.
                            And that is the problem with MOST things.

Those magic words.. "**** poor management" "Poor leadership"

So I see that detroit is the same as the rest of the country eh? LOL

Comment

Louisville Metro PD is recruiting officers from Detroit after hearing about this-it's a much quieter city to work and live in-hope they get some takers and good LEO's moving there-even though it's a big move-6 hours to the South..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4644 users online. 322 members and 4322 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X