300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowout at 110MPH

My partner and I get a call for backup from the other unit working last night. We are about 20 miles away by freeway. We are scootin right along just under 130 when we come up to a section of road that has a slight "S" curve. I back off the gas and come through the curve but when we exit the patrol car is feeling kinda funny. I'm thinking maybe it just the wind. I'm back on the gas passing 120 when the patrol car starts choosing what lane it wants to be in despite my steering input. I'm off the gas now and dropping past 110 when the right rear tire disentegrates. YeeHaw....ride em cowboy! Two 12 foot wide freeway lanes and a 6 foot asphalt shoulder and I'm using 29ft 11in of it now. The tire finally comes completely off the rim at about 70 and its smooth straight sailing with the added benefit of the fireworks show from the rim on the asphalt. Good thing it was my Friday last night and uniform was due to go to the cleaners anyway since there was slight pucker factor involved.
    Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Glad your ok. Tires and brakes...gotta keep changing them constantly and sometimes you just get a bad one.
    Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Holy cats!

Glad to see you can have a good laugh about it now...

btw...does your agency provide any high-speed training??
      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

You're lucky your gas tank didn't have a leak in it.

Comment

You're lucky it was a back one, a front blowout is usually far worse to handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
            PTI, glad you saved it! Were you exceeding the speed rating?
            To the best of my knowledge the tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A) are V rated, which is for 130MPH+ so I don't think that was an issue. Even if it was H rated (up to 130 MPH) I don't think that was it. We didn't quite get to the 130 mark. Its a newer car and only had 7700 miles on the tires. I'm guessing I picked something up in the tread. I would have looked but I couldn't find it!!!
            Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Thems are some good tires...that's what we run and I like um.
              "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

That is what I call a great save, and sure glad your heart rate went back to normal after this incident. This could have been a serious incident and you might have came out of it in a body bag. Glad to see you still there.

Comment

PTI, I'm just glad to hear you managed to hold onto the car and we're not reading about this in the paper.
                  Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                    PTI, I'm just glad to hear you managed to hold onto the car and we're not reading about this in the paper.
                    seems to be the growing trend lately.

Comment

How long did it take to get that seat removed from your backside. Had a simliar incident at lower speed many years ago, and my pucker factor was intensely elevated.

Comment

,./,./,./,./,/,/,/,/
                        Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:46 AM.
                        Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                          My partner and I get a call for backup from the other unit working last night. We are about 20 miles away by freeway. We are scootin right along just under 130 when we come up to a section of road that has a slight "S" curve. I back off the gas and come through the curve but when we exit the patrol car is feeling kinda funny. I'm thinking maybe it just the wind. I'm back on the gas passing 120 when the patrol car starts choosing what lane it wants to be in despite my steering input. I'm off the gas now and dropping past 110 when the right rear tire disentegrates. YeeHaw....ride em cowboy! Two 12 foot wide freeway lanes and a 6 foot asphalt shoulder and I'm using 29ft 11in of it now. The tire finally comes completely off the rim at about 70 and its smooth straight sailing with the added benefit of the fireworks show from the rim on the asphalt. Good thing it was my Friday last night and uniform was due to go to the cleaners anyway since there was slight pucker factor involved.

Glad you made it ok and safe. I only can imagine how it felt, i bet your heart was in on the floor. lol

Comment

Glad your OK

sounds like a hell of a ride

For me, when crap hits the fan, it,s nothing when it happens. I've been doing it so long, instinct takes over.

But five minutes latter, oh boy, thats when I start shaking.
                            It's kind of funny trying to hold the cup of coffee that's supposed to calm you down
                            Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                              btw...does your agency provide any high-speed training??
                              That's an understatement! Don't know of any better EVOC training classes!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5771 users online. 331 members and 5440 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X