300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCSHP Review Board

Anyone out there been to the NC Highway Patrol review board? In a couple of days I will have my review board, I dont know any troopers I could talk to and could use some advice if anyone has any about what to expect. Thanks...
    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Originally posted by NC Marine
    Anyone out there been to the NC Highway Patrol review board? In a couple of days I will have my review board, I dont know any troopers I could talk to and could use some advice if anyone has any about what to expect. Thanks...
    It's been about 10 years but I did go to one and was successful. I would imagine the process is still pretty much the same. I haven't been to one for the local PD yet but from what I have read on here most review boards are the same (PD, SO and HP).

1. Wear a suit.
    2. Someone will take you in and introduce you to the members on the board. I believe there are 5 on the board. Troopers and top brass (it's a mix).
    3. You sit in the middle of the room in a single chair. (Try to relax).
    4. Keep your answers short and to the point. Don't volunteer information or elaborate unless asked to.
    5. There will be several hypothetical/situational questions.
    6. They will ask you questions about your driving record, alcohol use and prior substance abuse.
    7. If you're military (I'm assuming from your username) I'm sure there will be a brief question/answer period on that as well.
    8. Tell the truth, don't embellish and answer honestly even if the question is embarrasing.
    9. Most successful applicants are in and out in 30 minutes or less (this is my experience/opinion).

Good luck. It is a top notch organization.

Let me know if you have other specific questions.

TRPR2B
    Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

First of all, follow the good advice above. Some people are in and out in 30 mins., others are in there for over an hour. They ask you a lot of questions about your background and then they give you some scenerios and ask for responses. It is kind of intimidating because you sit in front of about 5-6 people. However, just be honest and keep your poise, even if they try and make you lose it. Once I got in the school I talked to some of the guys and they shared different accounts. Some got yelled at for different reasons: having past tickets, appearance, stuff like that. Make sure your hair is cut short and neat, no facial hair! They got on people who had longer hair or hair that wasnt cut neat. Just be confident, it will be over before you know it!
      "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Good News

Well I had my review board today. It went pretty well. There were about 15 other candidates there with me waiting to be interviewed and about 3 or 4 boards going on at one time. It basically covered my f3 and polygraph, thats where all the questions came from. I calmed down once I went in. It lasted about an hour. They hit me hard about a traffic accident in High School but I guess I did pretty good, I got a conditional job offer, so need my physical and wait for October. Thanks for the advice, Im new to this site and I was in Raleigh at the RR Inn last night so I couldnt write back.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Congrats! The rest of the app. process is a lot easier! By the way, get used to staying at the RR Inn once you become a trooper!
          "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

Your right about the RR Inn Ive been staying up there when I came to take all my Trooper tests, always lots of Troopers there. I also got the $32 rate which is pretty good. The next class is October so I will be asking about what the first week of Basic School is like.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine
              Your right about the RR Inn Ive been staying up there when I came to take all my Trooper tests, always lots of Troopers there. I also got the $32 rate which is pretty good. The next class is October so I will be asking about what the first week of Basic School is like.
              Use your imagination and then multiply by a factor of 2 or 3

On a serious note...NCTroop's account will be more recent than mine, but let me know if you want an additional opinion and I'll be happy to offer. It was ten years ago (Dec, 9th 1995; 96th basic patrol school) but I remember it like it was yesterday.
              Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3398 users online. 214 members and 3184 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X