Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toby, it's BS that getting rid of the 10 codes is an officer safety problem?

I don't know where you police, but in a city environment where you can't be in a place where the person you have stopped can't hear the radio, the use of codes is important if you are running a guy for warrants.

Comment

Im not sure this is going to be a good thing or a bad thing, but am not happy the Federal Govt is pushing its weight around where the states are concerned.
      Alot of LEAs are going digital in their radio communications and the 800MHz band is being re-adjusted so the smaller non digital scanners will not be able to hear police transmissions. The new digital scanner by Radio Shack and Uniden are close to $500+ which may hamper the casual listener.

Comment

It will only keep out the casual listener. drug dealers can afford them EASILY so why are they doing that?
        "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Originally posted by SW4747
          Toby, it's BS that getting rid of the 10 codes is an officer safety problem?

I don't know where you police, but in a city environment where you can't be in a place where the person you have stopped can't hear the radio, the use of codes is important if you are running a guy for warrants.

Sorry I don't know what I was on while writing that post.

I think the fed's making the departments go to plain english is bull$hit.

Sorry about that.

Comment

I think they should adopt one universal code for all departments, if they're so worried about the language barrier. Throwing codes out all together just seems stupid!

In the interest of safety, aren't codes used to keep talking to a minimum, incase an officer is in trouble and needs to ask for assistance? The longer Officer A is talking, the longer Officer B has to wait to ask for assistance, etc. That's what I was always told.

Comment

My dept has already switched to "Plain Speak" and we have dept "words" for what we don't want people to hear over the radio. This way we are standardized to FEMA, but the losers still can't run when they hear dispatch come back with Warrant, because they don't say warrant.
              When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

Originally posted by MPD-A9
                We had to go through MINS training a few months ago. At that time, they didn's say anything about 10 codes. It was required for us to keep fed money. It was 2-8 hour days with 6 hours worth of breaks. It sucked. It was all on how to work a crash with injury, and who should be the IC-incident commander. It was a waste of everyones time.
                I thought is was called NIMS, but whatever. Most academies have that block of instruction now. You're absolutely right. All it did was create the power pyramid, like chain of command for this and that type of incident.
                Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by Quopper
                  My dept has already switched to "Plain Speak" and we have dept "words" for what we don't want people to hear over the radio. This way we are standardized to FEMA, but the losers still can't run when they hear dispatch come back with Warrant, because they don't say warrant.
                  I think that'll be the accepted practice to keep a level of officer safety while going to plain speak transmissions. Hopefully, they also teach something like 15 second intervals, say "Break," and stop taking for 1-2 seconds, then re-key. That way, your brother officer who is trying to key up with something more important can get some air, too.

As far as the redistribution of the 800MHz band, I still think Motorola radios with the DES voice crypto module should be used. Last I checked, they're effective, unless the drug cartel has some damn good equipment to break a DES III cypher. Those agencies who need to get serious about signals intelligence like US Customs did should contact US Customs or the DEA, and ask, "What can we do to secure our public safety communications?" I've "seen" the US Customs communications system, its impressive from a SIGINT standpoint.
                  N. A. Corbier
                  Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                  Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

I don't think we've ever used 10-codes, aside from 10-4, 10-99 ("10-4" from a one-person unit to distinguish how many people on a unit), & 10-1 (Immediate assistance, officer down, etc...). Aside from "10-8" which I just picked up from the boards, I was always clueless about 10-codes.

And we don't just blurt out warrant information in an unsafe manner (at least the non-idiots don't), but since anyone (including criminals) can read this, I won't say how we give it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
                      Most of the departments where I live started weening their officers off of 10 codes earlier this year. Now I know why most use them some of the time but not all of the time when they transmit. Most crooks know them better than some officers.
                      No doubt. I would say 70% of our felons on Probation here in my rural Northern California county have scanners. And yeah, they know our 10-Code better than most of our officers. Our only low-profile way to communicate during a warrant execution is to go to "scramble" from the time we leave the department. Hell, who knows, they might have access now to scanners that can de-code our scramble mode as well...if they don't, I'm sure it's next.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREWED
                        Most of the departments where I live started weening their officers off of 10 codes earlier this year. Now I know why most use them some of the time but not all of the time when they transmit. Most crooks know them better than some officers.
                        No doubt. I would say 50% of our felons on Probation here in my rural Northern California county have scanners, particularly our meth cooks. And yeah, they know our 10-Code better than most of our officers. Our only low-profile way to communicate during a warrant execution is to go to "scramble" from the time we leave the department. Hell, who knows, they might have access now to scanners that can de-code our scramble mode as well...if they don't, I'm sure it's next.

Comment

fema can kiss my ***, they have nothing to do with us.

Comment

Bummer, I like our 10 codes, too. It is so much clearer to say that I am "10-1" rather than "I have poor reception."
                            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

said it before and im sayin it again, get ready to have the radio tied up even worse,

Comment

Total nonsense. The next step will be to standardize "Plain Speak". Look out "1984". Oh did we already pass that. Anyway, another fine example of -- I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5423 users online. 309 members and 5114 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X