300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of "10" codes

The federal government is ordering police and other public safety departments around the country to get rid of a time-honored tradition in the interest of safety.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency is ordering them to stop talking using "10" codes in their radio transmissions-- and departments stand to lose millions of dollars in funding if they don't comply.

The federal government says its time to adopt a common language -- plain english.

"10-4" and other radio codes are a second language in public safety circles, but the FEMA says there's no room for misunderstanding in a national emergency. So it's ordering police and other departments to phase out their code-speak and start talking in plain english by next September.

"We're saying that in order to continue federal funding from any of the departments and federal agencies, they need to meet those requirements by the end of fiscal year '06," says FEMA representative Gil Jamieson.

Officials say there's been some resistance from police saying changing the language officers speak is easier said than done. But the ability to communicate is more important.

This is for EVERY PD in the US?
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

As a ten-code user, which was hard wired into me for 10 years, I feel for every LEO who has to relearn english on the job. Its automatic to key up and go, "10-15 times 1." after a stressful and successful pursuit, or to scream, "I need Signal 54 NOW," into your shoulder mike while switching to "get back!"

The retrain will cause more problems than the signal and ten codes. Till everyone who's used to ten codes is retired.

So, is FEMA going to pay for encrypted communications, trunked radio towers, and everything else to prevent domestic and foreign terrorists from monitoring communications? Or are we (LEO, Federal Security Contractors, EMS, Fire) going to Nextel on the federal dime?
      N. A. Corbier
      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
      Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Yup.

'10' codes will be obsolete in 2006
        Aug 18 2005 12:00AM By By Kay Kirkland Managing Editor

Emergency responders in Coffee County and across the nation soon won

Comment

Originally posted by SW4747
          According to FEMA, the NIMS will standardize organizational structures and personal qualification requirements, along with procedures for planning, training, exercising and personnel qualifications. The system is also expected to make information management and interoperable communications easier and more effective.
          So, FEMA is going to start standardizing planning, training, and personnel qualifications? I wonder who's standard they're going to hold everyone to. Some police departments don't require comprehensive credit checks. Others do. Some allow marajuana use. Others don't. Feds are BIG on criminal marajuana use right now, they think its bigger than meth.
          N. A. Corbier
          Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Originally posted by nacorbier
            As a ten-code user, which was hard wired into me for 10 years, I feel for every LEO who has to relearn english on the job. Its automatic to key up and go, "10-15 times 1." after a stressful and successful pursuit, or to scream, "I need Signal 54 NOW," into your shoulder mike while switching to "get back!"
            You need to relearn English, eh?

That's too bad. I was finally starting to get the hang of 10 codes. Mind you, Canada probably isn't going to switch over to plain English. So are they still going to keep using the NATO alphabet though? I find myself more successful when I spell my name to a police officer using the NATO alphabet rather than using the normal one.

Comment

The Feds have been forcing states into doing crap for years. All they do is tie it to a saftey issue and hold back federal money untill your state politicians comply. All that matters here is that some big politician will have yet another great sound bite come election time.

I've been dealing with regs forced into action for years. All I can say is bend over and grease up.......they wont stop once they get started.
              Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Up
                The Feds have been forcing states into doing crap for years. All they do is tie it to a saftey issue and hold back federal money untill your state politicians comply. All that matters here is that some big politician will have yet another great sound bite come election time.

I've been dealing with regs forced into action for years. All I can say is bend over and grease up.......they wont stop once they get started.

very true.

Comment

We don't use 10 codes, so I guess I'll re-learn Spanish instead...just to stay busy.
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

I don't know how to take this. In one way it is a good thing, agencies will be able to understand eachother. But in a way.. aren't certain codes there to protect the officers safety. I mean for instance if you were on a traffic stop and called for back up using codes the suspect would be none the wiser. If you say "I need back-up at this location... so and so.." my first assumption would be that suspect is gonna freak out.

Comment

We had to go through MINS training a few months ago. At that time, they didn's say anything about 10 codes. It was required for us to keep fed money. It was 2-8 hour days with 6 hours worth of breaks. It sucked. It was all on how to work a crash with injury, and who should be the IC-incident commander. It was a waste of everyones time.

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
                        This is for EVERY PD in the US?
                        If your agency wants federal money (And they do) it is.
                        N. A. Corbier
                        Visiting Commando Leader

Comment

Originally posted by Blnkgttrst
                          I don't know how to take this. In one way it is a good thing, agencies will be able to understand eachother. But in a way.. aren't certain codes there to protect the officers safety. I mean for instance if you were on a traffic stop and called for back up using codes the suspect would be none the wiser. If you say "I need back-up at this location... so and so.." my first assumption would be that suspect is gonna freak out.
                          Don't forget:
                          "DELTA OSCAR ECHO, John. DOB 1-1-2004. One bench warrant out of BFE, Egypt, charge of animal molestation, 20,000 dollar bond."

How quick do you think Mister Doe will start running? Bench, Warrant, or One?
                          N. A. Corbier
                          Visiting Commando Leader

Comment

Most of the departments where I live started weening their officers off of 10 codes earlier this year. Now I know why most use them some of the time but not all of the time when they transmit. Most crooks know them better than some officers.
                            "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
                            Matthew 11:28

Comment

In regards to officer safety this is complete BS.

Why not make ALL THE STATES in the union to have the same code. That would decrease the risk of officer safety issue, and also when your talking via phone or across the state lines it will be easier. No more problems.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6060 users online. 354 members and 5706 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X