Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signal1
    replied
    One thing you have to keep in mind, the Military always takes the lowest bidder!!! Yes, even when it comes to the troops safety.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonforcewrtr
    replied
    Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    I can see the headlines now:
    BUDGETS CUT: LOCAL PD DECLARES BELLY FAT NEW ARMOR
    Man that is so messed up

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Originally posted by toby101
    Don't departments already have pillsbury doughboy's. The ones I have been around do, they are called overweight cops who don't do jack about there weight and don't care.
    I can see the headlines now:
    BUDGETS CUT: LOCAL PD DECLARES BELLY FAT NEW ARMOR

Leave a comment:

• Welpe
    replied
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by Welpe; 08-25-2005, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nacorbier
    replied
    Yes, but they don't have ballistic properties like a water vest.

You'd think they would, though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Then they should make a big "water vest" 10 inches thick! you put it on and look like a pillsbury doughboy, but very safe. very inexpensive (also very impractical).
    lol just a thought though.

Don't departments already have pillsbury doughboy's. The ones I have been around do, they are called overweight cops who don't do jack about there weight and don't care.

Leave a comment:

• RobSlig
    replied
    ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY *** OFF....

That was not exactly what I had in mind...

But you have to admit there are some cool physics going on when a 50 cal round will pass through a 10 inch tree with no problems but not 10 inches of water.
    I'm just saying there is a clue there from nature that should have been investigated long ago. The liquid vest idea sound like a great thing in the making. Might save lots of lives.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Then they should make a big "water vest" 10 inches thick! you put it on and look like a pillsbury doughboy, but very safe. very inexpensive (also very impractical).
    haha, i could just imagine that

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Originally posted by RobSlig

It takes only 10 inches of water to stop a .50 cal round from a high power rifle. (I saw this on Myth Busters the other night and was very surprised)

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Originally posted by RobSlig

It takes only 10 inches of water to stop a .50 cal round from a high power rifle.
    If I'm being shot at I'll remember to dive into water below the one-foot mark

Leave a comment:

• RobSlig
    replied
    Sounds like a good idea.

It takes only 10 inches of water to stop a .50 cal round from a high power rifle. (I saw this on Myth Busters the other night and was very surprised)

I would think that some kind of gel material or other like invention might be able to work on that principle.

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    Oh my god, Tim, I actually understood that!
    Wow... suddenly it's all clear lol

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied
    I wrote about STF before I came to Officer.com. The liquid is a polymer form of ethylene glycol - chemically similar to engine coolant. The polymer form makes it thick, maybe the consistency of a McDonald's shake. There are tiny spheres of glass suspended in the glycol. If you stir the solution slowly, it acts like a thick liquid. But if you speed up the stirring, the glass spheres can't get out of each others' way fast enough, and the solution seizes up. After a second, the tension relaxes and everything returns to normal. A bullet traveling at high velocity has to work against the friction of the glass spheres, thus the ballistic properties.

If the STF-loaded vest is punctured, the STF might leak out, but the liquid is so thick that most of it would remain soaked into the Kevlar. You'd still have to replace the vest, though.

Leave a comment:

• letshearit4blue
    replied
    But would it turn back to liquid after hardening? and if the hardened layer was shot again would it shatter? and how large an area would be hardened?
    hmmm. Would make an interesting report for my Chem class...

Leave a comment:

• medic_9
    replied
    Did you every make that stuff as a kid? I think it's half baking soda half water. If you just left it in your hand it was runny and you could almost pour it. But if you squeezed your hand closed on the stuff it would turn hard. I think it's the same type of concept.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2854 users online. 180 members and 2674 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X