Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New armor tech. Liquid body armor

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...042104.00.html

Pretty sweet. Hope we see this stuff real soon.
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

Sounds like a great idea. Though I'm sure The cost will be huge.

Comment

hmmm... interesting...
      But if you get shot will it leak? Then what would happen if you get shot after that?
      Maybe I didn't read the article right.
      Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
        hmmm... interesting...
        But if you get shot will it leak? Then what would happen if you get shot after that?
        Maybe I didn't read the article right.

From what I understand is it will just displace like when you throw something into the water. But that is how I interpreted it.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
          From what I understand is it will just displace like when you throw something into the water. But that is how I interpreted it.
          Yeah, but wouldn't you have a gaping hole in your vest???
          Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
            Yeah, but wouldn't you have a gaping hole in your vest???

I think after couple of layers "displace" then the bullet will be stopped and bounce off.

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
              I think after couple of layers "displace" then the bullet will be stopped and bounce off.
              Hmmmm I don't quite understand but I'll take your word for it.

Comment

I think that the liquid gets hard once the bullet hits....

"During normal handling, the STF is very deformable and flows like a liquid. However, once a bullet or frag hits the vest, it transitions to a rigid material, which prevents the projectile from penetrating the Soldier's body,"

Comment

"STF is soaked into all layers of the Kevlar vest"

The vest is not actually liquid. The way I am thinking, it is a Kevlar vest with liquid so it is more flexible.

As for the liquid hardning, think of silly putty, if you apply a soft force, it will flatten, if you hit it with a hammer, it will shatter.

Although, it was kind of confusing, so I very well may be wrong.
                  When a crime breaks out, all the cute girls shout
                  get the, good looking guy

Comment

Did you every make that stuff as a kid? I think it's half baking soda half water. If you just left it in your hand it was runny and you could almost pour it. But if you squeezed your hand closed on the stuff it would turn hard. I think it's the same type of concept.

Comment

But would it turn back to liquid after hardening? and if the hardened layer was shot again would it shatter? and how large an area would be hardened?
                      hmmm. Would make an interesting report for my Chem class...

Comment

I wrote about STF before I came to Officer.com. The liquid is a polymer form of ethylene glycol - chemically similar to engine coolant. The polymer form makes it thick, maybe the consistency of a McDonald's shake. There are tiny spheres of glass suspended in the glycol. If you stir the solution slowly, it acts like a thick liquid. But if you speed up the stirring, the glass spheres can't get out of each others' way fast enough, and the solution seizes up. After a second, the tension relaxes and everything returns to normal. A bullet traveling at high velocity has to work against the friction of the glass spheres, thus the ballistic properties.

If the STF-loaded vest is punctured, the STF might leak out, but the liquid is so thick that most of it would remain soaked into the Kevlar. You'd still have to replace the vest, though.
                        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Oh my god, Tim, I actually understood that!
                          Wow... suddenly it's all clear lol

Comment

Sounds like a good idea.

It takes only 10 inches of water to stop a .50 cal round from a high power rifle. (I saw this on Myth Busters the other night and was very surprised)

I would think that some kind of gel material or other like invention might be able to work on that principle.

Comment

Originally posted by RobSlig

It takes only 10 inches of water to stop a .50 cal round from a high power rifle.
                              If I'm being shot at I'll remember to dive into water below the one-foot mark

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6359 users online. 346 members and 6013 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X