Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to my declining duty performance and other personal/professional issues, it was highly suggested that I attend a 30 day rehab in Ga. So, I reckon you could say my entrance into rehab was not absolutely my choice. Quitting was not really by choice. Remaining sober,,,,yes, my choice.

Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

Yeah thanks alot.
      I've been thinking of quitting all together for a little while now. I was in a big party group when i was growing up. out at least 5 nights of the week. I quit hanging around any of them when I got serious about becoming a police officer. It is still hard to let go of the drinking. Their is no way that I could drink as much now as I could then. Ill kill a six pack 3 nights of the week now. Its just hard getting rid of the voice telling you that you want a beer. I guess I just need to have more self control.
      "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
      -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
        It's not a disease?

Let's ask these people and see what they say...

American Medical Association
        American Psychiatric Association
        American Hospital Association
        American Public Health Association
        National Association of Social Workers
        World Health Organization
        American College of Physicians

All of these groups have classified alcoholism as a disease.
        Have they classified ADD as a disease as well? Because there are many professionals who believe it's not a disease, either (not starting another arguement, just saying because a "group" agrees on something doesn't make it iron-clad).

I'm no doctor, but IMO I can't choose whether or not I'll get a brain tumor or prostate cancer. I can choose whether or not I'll be an alcoholic. My mother's an alchy so I have at least a 50% chance of carrying this alcoholism gene. So, in order to avoid becoming addicted, I simply don't drink. Period. If I never drink a drop in my life, I will never become an addict.

I'm of the believe that those groups classifying alcoholism as disease is merely them placating the liberals that prodominately make up their fields, or at least their organisations.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400
          Some people can, and do, go forever without a drink. Some relapse, some have cravings everyday, some really can put it out of their minds. The mental addiction/cravings will stay in the brain, and can be overcome, tho its hard for some.

For me...that is the whole issue. It is a choice to start drinking...and as beano00 said, it is also a choice to not drink again. (BTW good to hear you are back in control beano00)

Alcoholism is solely dependant upon the choice to drink.

Addictive...certainly. Some have a harder time than others...of course. But, once you quit drinking....there is no disease....only the addiction that is alcoholism.

If you just stop drinking (yes...over simplified for some I understand) alcoholism cannot make you drunk, rot your liver, or turn you into a raging idiot. Neither can it MAKE you take a drink.

Hell...pregnancy is a disease by that definition. If you don't have sex...you won't get pregnant...but you just can't stop having sex can you? And, if you are predisposed...IE female ....everytime you have sex you take the risk of getting the disease...right?
          An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I say addiction.
            Did cavemen suffer from alcoholism?
            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
              I say addiction.
              Did cavemen suffer from alcoholism?
              Uhhh...dar...let's think about that for a second...no.

Did alcoholic beverages exist in the time of the caveman? Uhhh, hello! No!

Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
              Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Uhhh...dar...let's think about that for a second...no.

Did alcoholic beverages exist in the time of the caveman? Uhhh, hello! No!

And thus my point.
                Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                  IMnotsoHO.......

It has nothing to do with a fetish....but it does have EVERYTHING to do with personal responsibility. I'm sorry folks....just because a doc says it does not make it so. McDonald's could call a pickle a cheeseburger....but that does not make it so.

I realize this is an unpopular position to take, but, so was the decision to not start drinking in the first place.

How long will it be before smoking is a disease? Then crack use? It's not the person's fault...it's the disease that caused them to smoke tabacco or crack. Right? ...sounds rediculous doesn't it.

I think as Contact originally stated that a disease is not something that is brought upon you by choice. While alcohol use can well cause diseases....alcoholism is not one...it is an addiction to alcohol brought on by a choice to start drinking.

As we loose grasp of common sense and in many cases reality itself, in our society....the inmatates are running the asylum far too often....therefore more and more excuses are made for the lack of self responsibility.

I am NOT arguing that one person might not be more likely to have an addiction than another. I think that is indeed the case. I think that is a result of personality and mental make up than it is genetic...though it appears that genetic's often play a role. Since when has just being predisposed to a certain disorder constitute in and of itself a disease?
                  Exactly...I can't believe this is even a subject of discussion....more like a common sense issue, really.
                  Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

Okay, I change my answer...

Here's is the definition of disease:

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

3. Obsolete. Lack of ease; trouble.

Following these parameters, an addiction to alcohol would fit. However, in all fairness, addiction to any substance to falls within these parameters- especially since pathology is used in the defination.

So, the correct answer, IMO is, the addiction is the disease.

Does that get abusers "off the hook" morally speaking? Absolutely not.
                    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                      Here's is the definition of disease:

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.

3. Obsolete. Lack of ease; trouble.

Following these parameters, an addiction to alcohol would fit. However, in all fairness, addiction to any substance to falls within these parameters- especially since pathology is used in the defination.

So, the correct answer, IMO is, the addiction is the disease.

Does that get abusers "off the hook" morally speaking? Absolutely not.

I think you are correct in saying that 'alcoholism' ...or for that matter ANY addiction would fall under the current literal definition of a disease.

I think the answer rests in the fact that definitions change as society changes.

The debate, I humbly suggest, is not IF the condition commonly called alcoholism fits the definition of a disease.... but if the definition of a disease should be so broad as to include addictions like alcoholism.
                      An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
                        And thus my point.
                        You had a point?

Did cavemen suffer from polio or small pox? Not that I know of.

Does that mean they're not diseases today?

Comment

Did cavemen suffer from polio or small pox? Not that I know of.
                          You said it.

FWIW, Small Pox and Polio aren't man made.
                          What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Originally posted by acreature
                            You said it.

FWIW, Small Pox and Polio aren't man made.
                            I said what?

I don't see how cavemen suffering from alcoholism or not makes any difference to whether it is a disease or an addiction.

Comment

Bluntforcetrauma

Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
                              Yeah thanks alot.
                              I've been thinking of quitting all together for a little while now. I was in a big party group when i was growing up. out at least 5 nights of the week. I quit hanging around any of them when I got serious about becoming a police officer. It is still hard to let go of the drinking. Their is no way that I could drink as much now as I could then. Ill kill a six pack 3 nights of the week now. Its just hard getting rid of the voice telling you that you want a beer. I guess I just need to have more self control.
                              As I said, nobody ever died from NOT drinking. I had a 16 year history of rough living and drinking perty regular. After rehab I just challenged myself to stay sober for a while and whaaalaaa,,here I am 5 years later,,,,sober as a post. I hate to lose a challenge. It's my firm belief that it would kill my wife's soul if I returned to drinking. My life took a turn for the better when I quit, so I see no need to screw that up for a long while. Do I miss my beer? Hell yes!!! Just a couple months ago (while deployed to Iraq) I tried non-alcoholic beer for the first time. It scared me that I enjoyed the taste so much. The only true way to quit is to take the Nike approach.....just do it. I'm seeing allot of different views on this addiction,,disease topic. Where are ya'll basing your info from? Just curious.
                              Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

I said what?

I don't see how cavemen suffering from alcoholism or not makes any difference to whether it is a disease or an addiction.
                                Let's quit the bickerin'

It's an addiction, just as smoking. An addiction, which can cause disease. It is not a Disease.
                                What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
                                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6424 users online. 363 members and 6061 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X