300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jellybean400
    It is a disease that produces addiction.
    Certainly, it would be the opposite...

An Addiction that causes Diseases/Medical Conditions;

Fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, Cardiomyopathy, arrhythmias, stroke, Esophageal varices, Mallory-Weiss tears, Sexual dysfunction, amenorrhea, anovulation, early menopause, spontaneous abortion, Neoplasm of the liver, neoplasm of the head and neck, neoplasm of the pancreas, neoplasm of the esophagus......
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Some of the definitions i've seen here are so vague, you can consider just about anything a disease.
      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by acreature
        Certainly, it would be the opposite...

An Addiction that causes Diseases/Medical Conditions;

Fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, Cardiomyopathy, arrhythmias, stroke, Esophageal varices, Mallory-Weiss tears, Sexual dysfunction, amenorrhea, anovulation, early menopause, spontaneous abortion, Neoplasm of the liver, neoplasm of the head and neck, neoplasm of the pancreas, neoplasm of the esophagus......
        But there is a chemical and genetic predisposition to becoming an alcoholic.

They may have chosen to take the first drink, so their disease kicked in. If you want to look at it that way, it's their fault I guess. But it's hardly anymore their fault than someone who drinks contaminated water and develops cancer.

They didn't know the water would give them cancer. Just like many alcoholics don't know that their first drink is a long road toward addiction and possibly self destruction.

Can't we just take the word of the incredibly well educated and brilliant physicians in this world that alcoholism is a disease? They say it is, and that is good enough for me. Do you have a fetish for personal responsibility or something?
        Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
        Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound

They may have chosen to take the first drink, so their disease kicked in. If you want to look at it that way, it's their fault I guess. But it's hardly anymore their fault than someone who drinks contaminated water and develops cancer.

They didn't know the water would give them cancer. Just like many alcoholics don't know that their first drink is a long road toward addiction and possibly self destruction.

Can't we just take the word of the incredibly well educated and brilliant physicians in this world that alcoholism is a disease? They say it is, and that is good enough for me. Do you have a fetish for personal responsibility or something?
          Yeah, i was starting to wonder whats going on here.

Some people want to blame the alcoholic, and not believe the medical community.

Do they really believe there are some alcoholics happily going thru life, taking advantage of the fact that what they have is called a "disease?" I dont know many happy alcoholics.

BTW, great post. And i'm not a doctor, but i worked in a rehab/addiction clinic, and i did have training and education.

Comment

I trust Doctors as far as I could kick them nowadays. It's not about helping people anymore, it's about Business.

Just like ADD.... with the job I have, I see what ADD is... it's parents who are not responsible for their kids, and they let medication parent for them.

Didn't have that crap when I grew up. Thank God, I'd probably had been medicated too!

As far as being predisposed.. please, I would love to know what/where/who found this gene..... and what it is.
            What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

The reason so many things are classified as "diseases" these days is because the FDA came up with the rule that "only a drug can cure or treat a disease." They did this in order to keep one of their major benefactors, the huge drug companies, from losing any money to natural herbal cures.

If a person sells an orange as "a cure for scurvy" they can be arrested for selling a drug without a license. Yes, really.
              Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

It's not a disease?

Let's ask these people and see what they say...

American Medical Association
                American Psychiatric Association
                American Hospital Association
                American Public Health Association
                National Association of Social Workers
                World Health Organization
                American College of Physicians

All of these groups have classified alcoholism as a disease.
                well of course they would. Theres big money in it for them.
                Liberalism is a mental disorder
                -Resistance implies Guilt-

Comment

Originally posted by Mraughh
                  well of course they would. Theres big money in it for them.
                  And there's not big money in it if they call it an addiction? Either way they get to treat it.

Disease is a medical term and if alcoholism is a disease, then it fits in the criteria. Jellybean's post quoting from the hospital explains it perfectly.
                  Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                  Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

IMnotsoHO.......

It has nothing to do with a fetish....but it does have EVERYTHING to do with personal responsibility. I'm sorry folks....just because a doc says it does not make it so. McDonald's could call a pickle a cheeseburger....but that does not make it so.

I realize this is an unpopular position to take, but, so was the decision to not start drinking in the first place.

How long will it be before smoking is a disease? Then crack use? It's not the person's fault...it's the disease that caused them to smoke tabacco or crack. Right? ...sounds rediculous doesn't it.

I think as Contact originally stated that a disease is not something that is brought upon you by choice. While alcohol use can well cause diseases....alcoholism is not one...it is an addiction to alcohol brought on by a choice to start drinking.

As we loose grasp of common sense and in many cases reality itself, in our society....the inmatates are running the asylum far too often....therefore more and more excuses are made for the lack of self responsibility.

I am NOT arguing that one person might not be more likely to have an addiction than another. I think that is indeed the case. I think that is a result of personality and mental make up than it is genetic...though it appears that genetic's often play a role. Since when has just being predisposed to a certain disorder constitute in and of itself a disease?
                    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                      I'm sorry folks....just because a doc says it does not make it so. McDonald's could call a pickle a cheeseburger....but that does not make it so.

I'm sorry to hijack my own thread, but in the not so distant future, the way things are going the customer is going to be arguing with the McDonald's staff about which one is the burger and which one is the pickle.

They're getting smaller every time I get one. Luckily I don't eat that garbage too often anymore.
                      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Aa

Alcoholics Anonymous (a non-profit organization) as well as the AMA and other well known health organizations classify it as a disease. From my own experience and subsequent rehab, my belief is that it's a progressive uncurable disease. In other words, I've been sober for 5+ years but I'll never be completely cured. It's not like poison Ivy, so you can't just put some meds on it and it dries up. Statistics show that if I were to start drinking again, I would most likey end up drinking even more heavily than before. My research also revealed that I was genetically predisposed and once I started drinking,,,Katy bar the door! As far as personal responsibility, that lies with the individual. I can't remember using the phrase "because I was drunk" to get myself out of a pinch. However, I DO blame myself for not getting help sooner. Had I cleared up my head sooner in my career, I would have achieved the two goals that fell to the wayside. In case the reader is wondering,,,,no I'm not a dieHard AA guy. I don't go to meetings or any of that stuff. More power to them, if that's what helps them. I realized my life is much better without drinking, so it's a choice on my part to abstain. I always said,,,nobody ever died from NOT drinking. My vote goes toward disease
                        Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

Hey Beano00,
                          when you quit drinking, did you have a sudden "clear picture" or did you go in and out for awhile trying to decide what you wanted to do?
                          "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                          -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
                            Hey Beano00,
                            when you quit drinking, did you have a sudden "clear picture" or did you go in and out for awhile trying to decide what you wanted to do?
                            I'm not for sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "go in and out for a while......"? No, I definately didn't have a clear picture once I quit drinking. I quit cold turkey, but that only means I quit pouring alcohol down my throat. I had to work on my professional AND personal life to salvage what I could of a career. Is that what you were making reference to?
                            Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

So one day you decided you were never going to drink again and quit? Thats worded a little better.
                              "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                              -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Thanks for your personal posts, Beano.

At the point of "the cure," or treatment, its kinda like a disease going into remission. Its never really cured, because one drink brings it out of remission.

Some people can, and do, go forever without a drink. Some relapse, some have cravings everyday, some really can put it out of their minds. The mental addiction/cravings will stay in the brain, and can be overcome, tho its hard for some.

...the physical cravings usually disappear, from what i've seen and learned.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5217 users online. 285 members and 4932 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X