Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't follow. Do you mean to tell me if she wouldn't have been hooked on alcohol she'd still be sickly and dying? If she never drank or drank just very moderately (a glass of wine once a week or something), her health would still be in jeopardy?

Comment

An alcoholic can have one drink, and the disease can manifest itself. You dont have to drink a case of beer to "become" an alcoholic.

Just like a drug addict can use a drug ONCE, and be addicted.

You also dont have to drink everyday to be classified as an alcoholic. You can have binges, and then go months without a drink. The sickness, in that case, is the fact that you cannot stop once you start. You lose the ability to choose, and the liquor takes over.

Why do you think treatment for an alcoholic includes the fact that they can NEVER have a drink again? You cant "teach" moderate drinking to an alcoholic.

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
        Not to be cruel, but... That's because she freaking drinks too much. If you're addicted to poison it's going to take it's toll on you physically eventually.

I seem to have lost my Capitan obvious image so just pretend you see it here, and laugh.

There is no doubt being an alcoholic comes from drinking too much, that is not the issue.
        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Ok, well I call all that addiction. a disease is something that is critical to your health and can't easily be treated. You DO HAVE THE POWER (as hard as it may be for some people) to control the substances you are putting in your body.

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMag
            I suppose it really depends on how one defines disease.

Disease: 1. A condition of abnormal vital function involoving any structure, part, or system of an organism. 2. A specific illness or disorder characterized by a recognizable set of signs and symptoms, attributable to herediry, infection, diet or environment.

Alcoholism: the extreme dependence on excessive amounts of alcohol, associated with a cummulative pattern of deviant behaviours. Alcoholism is a chronic illness with a slow, insidious onset, which may occur at any age. The cause is unknown, but culteral and psychosocial factors are suspect, and famility of alcoholics have a higher incidence of alcoholism. Frequent intoxication has cumulative destructive effects on an individual's family and social life, working life, and physical health.

Illness: An abnormal process in which aspects of the social, physical, emotional, or intellectual condition and function of a person are diminished or impaired, compared with that person's previous condition.

I think Alcoholism is a nature / nurture arguement with it landing on nurture. It's a learned behaviour, increasing with each generation until someone steps back and looks and thinks "I don't want to do that". I strongly believe that everyone can overcome the INITAL urge to drink or do drugs. Once they do and each time after they want it more and more and the addiction sets in. Once someone overcomes an addiction I believe that they (if they TRULY wanted to) could never do it again. Unfortunately alot revert back and become addicted again and the circle begins. That's why we see the same few people again and again.

I think part of the addiction is that they know no other way and to change is too fearful so they go back to doing what they know.

Just a thought, I'm off to bed. Work comes early.

Comment

In the beginning, I don't necessarly think its just 1 beer. It takes someone to feel the effects of the alcohol to become addicted.
              "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
              -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

I don't follow. Do you mean to tell me if she wouldn't have been hooked on alcohol she'd still be sickly and dying? If she never drank or drank just very moderately (a glass of wine once a week or something), her health would still be in jeopardy?
                No, as stated in my ealier posts. In her case, I feel this is a disease. She grew up in a household with two alcoholic parents. She saw and heard all that goes on in a violent alcoholic household. Her parents died alcoholics. She herself started drinking at an early age. I have a clear memory of being in a vehicle accident with her driving drunk. I was only 7-8, she drove into a the rear of a parked truck. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I grow up, and watch her drinking grow worse. I'm 26 now, and she basically has been drinking every day for as long as I can remember. Her health is failing, she weighs like 75 pounds, and I know she will die as a direct result of her alcoholism. I cannot make it any clearer than that.
                "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by medic_9
                  Disease: 1. A condition of abnormal vital function involoving any structure, part, or system of an organism. 2. A specific illness or disorder characterized by a recognizable set of signs and symptoms, attributable to herediry, infection, diet or environment.

Alcoholism: the extreme dependence on excessive amounts of alcohol, associated with a cummulative pattern of deviant behaviours. Alcoholism is a chronic illness with a slow, insidious onset, which may occur at any age. The cause is unknown, but culteral and psychosocial factors are suspect, and famility of alcoholics have a higher incidence of alcoholism. Frequent intoxication has cumulative destructive effects on an individual's family and social life, working life, and physical health.

Illness: An abnormal process in which aspects of the social, physical, emotional, or intellectual condition and function of a person are diminished or impaired, compared with that person's previous condition.

I think Alcoholism is a nature / nurture arguement with it landing on nurture. It's a learned behaviour, increasing with each generation until someone steps back and looks and thinks "I don't want to do that". I strongly believe that everyone can overcome the INITAL urge to drink or do drugs. Once they do and each time after they want it more and more and the addiction sets in. Once someone overcomes an addiction I believe that they (if they TRULY wanted to) could never do it again. Unfortunately alot revert back and become addicted again and the circle begins. That's why we see the same few people again and again.

I think part of the addiction is that they know no other way and to change is too fearful so they go back to doing what they know.

Just a thought, I'm off to bed. Work comes early.
                  Excellent post, thank you.
                  "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400
                    An alcoholic can have one drink, and the disease can manifest itself. You dont have to drink a case of beer to "become" an alcoholic.

Just like a drug addict can use a drug ONCE, and be addicted.

So....disease or addiction? Sounds like addiction to me by your statement...I think you are right about one hit vs one drink
                    An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Ok, well I call all that addiction. a disease is something that is critical to your health and can't easily be treated. You DO HAVE THE POWER (as hard as it may be for some people) to control the substances you are putting in your body.

True.

However over time, your body medically requires these substances to sustain it's own life.

An example, since I have no medical experience, came from a television show called Dr. G, Medical examiner or something...

The reason you slur speech and can not form sentences while intoxicated is because your brain is not sending the electrical pulses fast enough from point a to point b, however with an alcoholic, over time the brain overcompensates for the expected alcohol, so that when it gets there, the person is not as greatly affected. With this person in particular, he was trying to get back with his ex-wife (or something) and she said he had to give up alcohol. He quit cold turkey and the lack of alcohol caused his brain to go into overdrive and killed him. I know that's the dumbed down version, but that's the gist of it, as I understood it.
                      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

From the Baptist Memorial Healthcare website:

"Alcoholism is a chronic illness characterized by the habitual consumption of alcohol. Some alcoholics drink daily. Others drink less often, but the drinking becomes out of control. This is done to the degree that it interferes with physical or mental health, or with normal social or work behavior. It produces both physical and psychological addiction. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that reduces anxiety, inhibition, and feelings of guilt. It lowers alertness, impairs perception, judgment, and motor coordination. In high doses, it can cause loss of consciousness and even death. Chronic alcoholism damages the brain, liver, heart, and other organs.

Many people wonder what causes alcoholism. No one can become an alcoholic if they do not drink alcohol. For people who do choose to drink alcohol, some seem to be able to drink without problems, while others do not.

One thing we do know, is that alcoholism is a disease. What this means is:

* There are certain signs and symptoms that are the same for every alcoholic.
                        * There are certain "stages" that each alcoholic will go through if the disease is not treated.
                        * Alcoholism is chronic, or that it won't go away on it's own.
                        * Without treatment, alcoholism can cause death.
                        * Alcoholism can be treated.

We can think of alcoholism like we think of other diseases. Some people are more at risk for the disease. People with the disease didn't cause it to happen. They can learn ways to live with the disease and take care of themselves. Like in some diseases, if the person refuses treatment, their disease will get worse, and they may even die.

Risk factors for alcoholism include:
                        * a family member who is alcoholic,
                        * a history of other substance abuse,
                        * depression, or
                        * post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Research has shown that alcoholics may not be able to process alcohol in the way other people can. We may never completely understand what causes alcoholism. We know there is treatment for alcoholism. If an alcoholic decides to get treatment, he or she has a very good chance of living a long and healthy life."
                        Last edited by Jellybean400; 08-21-2005, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                          So....disease or addiction? Sounds like addiction to me by your statement...I think you are right about one hit vs one drink
                          It is a disease that produces addiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean400
                            From the Baptist Memorial Healthcare website:

"Alcoholism is a chronic illness characterized by the habitual consumption of alcohol. Some alcoholics drink daily. Others drink less often, but the drinking becomes out of control. This is done to the degree that it interferes with physical or mental health, or with normal social or work behavior. It produces both physical and psychological addiction. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that reduces anxiety, inhibition, and feelings of guilt. It lowers alertness, impairs perception, judgment, and motor coordination. In high doses, it can cause loss of consciousness and even death. Chronic alcoholism damages the brain, liver, heart, and other organs.

Many people wonder what causes alcoholism. No one can become an alcoholic if they do not drink alcohol. For people who do choose to drink alcohol, some seem to be able to drink without problems, while others do not.

One thing we do know, is that alcoholism is a disease. What this means is:

* There are certain signs and symptoms that are the same for every alcoholic.
                            * There are certain "stages" that each alcoholic will go through if the disease is not treated.
                            * Alcoholism is chronic, or that it won't go away on it's own.
                            * Without treatment, alcoholism can cause death.
                            * Alcoholism can be treated.

We can think of alcoholism like we think of other diseases. Some people are more at risk for the disease. People with the disease didn't cause it to happen. They can learn ways to live with the disease and take care of themselves. Like in some diseases, if the person refuses treatment, their disease will get worse, and they may even die.

Risk factors for alcoholism include:
                            * a family member who is alcoholic,
                            * a history of other substance abuse,
                            * depression, or
                            * post-traumatic stress syndrome.

Research has shown that alcoholics may not be able to process alcohol in the way other people can. We may never completely understand what causes alcoholism. We know there is treatment for alcoholism. If an alcoholic decides to get treatment, he or she has a very good chance of living a long and healthy life."
                            Exactly.

I don't even understand why some people on here question it.
                            Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                            Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Great discussion guys and gals. But, i'm going to bed. Later all.
                              "I only had a couple!"

Comment

I agree with what ZAP said earlier. Classifying Alcoholism as a disease takes away personal responsability.
                                "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                                -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3525 users online. 202 members and 3323 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X