300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a disease?

Let's ask these people and see what they say...

American Medical Association
    American Psychiatric Association
    American Hospital Association
    American Public Health Association
    National Association of Social Workers
    World Health Organization
    American College of Physicians

All of these groups have classified alcoholism as a disease.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

I think it could be a addiction that turns into a disease.

also, there are people troubled out there by their past and instead of seeking therapy, turn to alcohol and drugs to try to not feel anything...To them its better not to feel anything at all then to feel pain.
      THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

We both grew up with the big party life. I look back and I'm glad only one person ever got seriously hurt. With his mom being a diehard alcoholic we were allowed to do pretty much what we wanted. I slowed down turmendiously and he is still going. I think alot of it is he knows his mom is going to die and he doesn't want to think about it.
        "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

With respect to 7mmMag....I think Contact is right on target with this one.

I was one of the ones who looked around...saw everyone having trouble trying to stop smoking....seeing alcoholics and drunk drivers.... and decided why in the HELL would I want to PAY to be in that position?

It WAS a choice on my part...and yeah...I wasn't invited to the highschool parties either because of it....but it was still a choice.

If I had started drinking would have become addicted or in other words an alcoholic? Who knows...but I have my other addictions...I drink pepsi...some say to excess. I really do like women as well.

I think Contact put it in the right perspective...and honestly, I think that often labeling something a disease is just another way of avoiding personal responsibility. Unfortunately, just like political correctness and the lack of common sense......it seems this is the world we live in.
          An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I agree it's a very serious disease ...... There I did it again I agreed with PS.
            This has got to stop.

Had an uncle who we buried at age 56 he would not stop drinking and his liver failed.
            Buried one of my best friends at 35 also no liver.

I have seen alcoholics in th jail and heard them tell the tails of fighting the deamons

Comment

Label it as you will, or they for that matter

It all started with the big bang..... Had that first one not been consumed, there wouldn't be a problem

**edit - Zap hit it dead on.... its Society which has allowed Self Responsibility to deteriorate to the level that everything will be labeled a disease eventually. Everything wrong with a person will be medical. Whether it be a dependancy or a character trait.
              Last edited by acreature; 08-21-2005, 08:59 PM.
              What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                I agree it's a very serious disease ...... There I did it again I agreed with PS.
                This has got to stop.
                We really are in some kind of a rut, aren't we?

I think we'll get back on track eventually.
                Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

alcoholism is the only disease you can get yelled at for having example:

dammit bill you're an alcoholic

dammit bill you have lukhemia

one of those two doesnt work

Comment

Originally posted by acreature

It all started with the big bang..... Had that first one not been consumed, there wouldn't be a problem

**edit - Zap hit it dead on.... its Society which has allowed Self Responsibility to deteriorate to the level that everything will be labeled a disease eventually. Everything wrong with a person will be medical. Whether it be a dependancy or a character trait.
                    True, but interesting conversation none the less.

In regards to your edit. I don't contend that for everyone this is a disease. I simply speak from my own experience with what I know about my mother and her history. For her, I do believe this is a disease she will lose to.
                    "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMag
                      I suppose it really depends on how one defines disease. I think of this as a disease, in that this learned behavior is slowly but very surely destoying her health (she is in her forties and weighs about 75 pounds, last I heard) and she will eventually die from it.

I agree with you there, but the fact could be that she uses all her money on alcohol and can not buy food. There are a lot of alcoholics, they can just fund it better.
                      A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Im fat 6foot 1 350LBS I could deney responsibility that it was me not taking the fork out of my mouth by blaming it on a thyroid problem or something along that line. I think Zap is right. Society not taking responsability for their actions.
                        "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
                        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Comment

Originally posted by acreature

I couldn't agree with you more! I see the drunks come into the hospital all the time for rehab. As soon as they leave, they're drunk again, then back in for rehab, then drunk again, then back in for rehab...and so on...and so on....and so on. Life is about choice, you make the choice.
                          That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                            I agree with you there, but the fact could be that she uses all her money on alcohol and can not buy food. There are a lot of alcoholics, they can just fund it better.
                            I'm pretty sure its not a matter of her buying beer in liu of food. My understanding from people who know her, is that her health is simply deteriorating, and that she drinks more that she eats and does not take care of herself.
                            "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMag
                              I suppose it really depends on how one defines disease. I think of this as a disease, in that this learned behavior is slowly but very surely destoying her health (she is in her forties and weighs about 75 pounds, last I heard) and she will eventually die from it.
                              Not to be cruel, but... That's because she freaking drinks too much. If you're addicted to poison it's going to take it's toll on you physically eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
                                Not to be cruel, but... That's because she freaking drinks too much. If you're addicted to poison it's going to take it's toll on you physically eventually.
                                Well, no **** she drinks too much. What we are discussing is opinions on whether alcoholism is an addiction or disease. In my mothers case, NOT everyones, I feel it is a disease.
                                "I only had a couple!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4459 users online. 278 members and 4181 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X