300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Valedictorians?!?

Two weeks ago my nephew graduated with high honors from the same high school I did in '86. According to my mother, there were 14 valedictorians and no salutatorian. When I graduated there were one of each: they were the 1st and 2nd ranked graduate respectively. She explained that my lovely high school decided that everyone with a 4.0 GPA or higher was named valedictorian so that no one would be slighted. My nephew missed out on the valedictorian club by 1/10th of a GPA point.

Mom and I thought this was total BS, but the Hawaii public school system is one of those "feel good, regardless of result" kinds of school systems. We both thought it cheapens the honor.

What say you fellow forum members?

[ 06-16-2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Padres19 ]
    "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

I could understand if they were calling people with a C+ average valedictorians, but a 4.0 isn't easy to achieve, and why shouldn't those who achieve it be honored in such a way? Why (and how) would you pick one person out of that 14 and say his or her 4.0 was a greater achievement than this persons?

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by CiaJ:
      I could understand if they were calling people with a C+ average valedictorians, but a 4.0 isn't easy to achieve, and why shouldn't those who achieve it be honored in such a way? Why (and how) would you pick one person out of that 14 and say his or her 4.0 was a greater achievement than this persons?

Totally agree that anything at or above 4.0 has to be recognized. A solution is not easy and I admit any answer I give would have a flaw or two, but there has to be a tie-breaker, just like there is in the real world.

It just bugs me when we cheapen awards to not hurt feelings, not to mention abuse the English language.

Valedictorian (As listed by Merriam Webster): the student usually having the highest rank in a graduating class who delivers the valedictory address at the commencement exercises

Salutatorian: the student usually having the second highest rank in a graduating class who delivers the salutatory address at the commencement exercises

These are singular. 1st and 2nd place.
      "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

You're right -- sitting through two speeches is bad enough, without having to go through fifteen of them!!!

Comment

If you've got 14 students will equal GPA's, and you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, then there are two solutions.

These are smart kids...put the 14 of them together and let them work it out. They could collaborate on a speech, select someone to give the speech, and all could be on stage when the speech is given, with credit given where it is due.

OR...
          Put all their names in a hat and pick the valedictoria and salutorian that way.

It's a relief to know we have soooo many good students out there though. My hats off to all of them!
          "Americans don't want a mentally unstable president; he might start a war or something." - Bill Maher

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by CiaJ:
            You're right -- sitting through two speeches is bad enough, without having to go through fifteen of them!!!

Oh, no, only 4 of them spoke. If it was anything like our valedictorian's speech...heaven help them!!!

I think the tiebreaker should start with extracurricular activities. Just book smarts isn't enough nowadays. And yes, my hats off to all of them, but not all 14 deserve to be called valedictorians...IMHO. [Wink]

Comment

Having 14 4.0's and higher and having 14 exact same GPA's are totally different. I do not believe the scores were exactly the same. Someone had the highest.

But lets not hurt the feelings of those who had at least 4.0.

Sounds like competition was fierce, but there is always one who rises to the top, and so should be rewarded.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by txinvestigator2:
                Having 14 4.0's and higher and having 14 exact same GPA's are totally different. I do not believe the scores were exactly the same. Someone had the highest.

But lets not hurt the feelings of those who had at least 4.0.

Sounds like competition was fierce, but there is always one who rises to the top, and so should be rewarded.

This only serves to weaken all involved.

Comment

My daughter was Salutatorian of her class last year. This year's Senior class Valedictorian didn't even have a GPA as high as HERS!

Having said that, those 14 kids are in for a RUDE awakening in college...and if not then, by some quirk of Hawaii's educational system....MOST CERTAINLY in the REAL world when they go 'competing' for JOBS.

What sort of 'favor' do folks like that think they are doing for those kids?
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                  -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3668 users online. 189 members and 3479 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X