300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan CCW

One of my friends asked me a technical question and I have no Idea.
    His question is
    If he is riding in a car as a passenger while carrying, does he have to inform the driver? Or is it only in the event of being pulled over when he tells the LEO and hands them his paperwork?
    Thanks
    "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
    -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

I don't know the answer to your question but I bet you'll find it here.

www.packing.org

Some states require you to tell the officer if you have a concealed weapon, some don't. I can't imagine a law saying you have to tell the driver though.
    "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Jesus
    Matthew 11:28

Comment

Thanks Ill give it a look.
      "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
      -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Bluntforce,

If I remember correctly you have to have the persons premission to carry inside his house, so I am guessing it would be the same for someone's vehicle. Besides it is I think its common curtosity (sp) just to let them know. MSP's website has some good information on CCW. Good luck with your school and your goal.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Ill go and see what i can find. I myself have not gone through the CCW course yet. I just turned 21 late June and Ive been busy finishing up summer classes. I hope i can get in before fall semester starts.
          Thanks alot
          -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

I don't think I would inform anyone that I am carrying, in their house, in their car, or in their place of business...unless it is posted as No firearms allowed, and even then I wouldn't tell them, just turn around and leave.

When I use my CCW, as long as I am following the law, it is no ones business whether I am carrying or not. The only person I have to inform is the LEO, and I would try to do so without informing anyone else I was with by handing him my CCW license along with my Drivers License before he asked for it.
            Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by USCGjoker
              Besides it is I think its common curtosity (sp) just to let them know.
              It's "courtesy" And I disagree... first, "concealed means concealed". Second, what business is it of anyone else if I'm lawfully carrying a firearm, a pocket knife, a stick of chewing gum, of if my socks are dirty?

Comment

thanks I was typing on a long boring 12 hour shift, so my mind was not fully functional.

Comment

I completely agree. Do you think the LEO would get the hint if he handed him both ID and CCW card without saying anything to the person whos driving? Usually you have to be quite verbal about those things with LEOs.
                  -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Michigan law requires a CPL holder (CPL = Concealed Pistol License, CCW is the criminal charge "carrying a concealed weapon") to inform a peace officer of your CPL license immediately upon being detained by the officer. If you don't say anything and just hand your CPL over, the officer will most likely inquire whether you are carrying any weapons so your "secret" will be out anyways.

You are best off to verbally inform the officer that you have a CPL and state the location of any weapons you may be carrying as you are handing over your drivers license and CPL. Depending on how the driver of your car feels about weapons, you may or may not be in hot water with them after the traffic stop is complete but they will for sure know about you carrying.

AvgJoe
                    Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

Well, thats a good question.

If I am speeding, and get pulled over, I am required by law to tell the officer I have a CPL and am armed. No Problem.

If I am a passenger in a car that is pulled over for something the driver did, am I being detained? I would want to inform the officer out of courtesy and for our safety, but what if he isn't talking to me? What do I do if he doesn't ask me for my I.D.? Do I just interrupt him and tell him?
                      Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

I was under the impression failure to advise an LEO that you have a weapon would have massive reprocussions. Including revoking of the concealed pistol license.
                        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Thats why I asked. I don't walk up and tell officers on the street if I am carrying. If detained I would.

If I am a passenger in the car and not involved in the reason he got pulled over, am I being detained? If so, How do I inform the officer that I am carrying?

Comment

I think informing the officer of the weapon before they see it is a better plan than sitting there hoping they don't see it, therefore I would speak up as soon as reasonably possible. If it is discovered by the officer you're probably getting "a Glock in your ear" based on previous CPL questions here on the forum.

If the officer never says a word to you the whole time and your pistol is well-concealed, sure, maybe you will be fine and leave the stop without an issue but I plan to make sure I tell the officer about my weapon(s) and let them decide how to handle things. I'd rather not take the chance of surprising a cop like that. That's just how I plan to react, I'm not saying it's what you should do.

AvgJoe
                            Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5439 users online. 290 members and 5149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X