300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a rookie when....

I am so stinkin close to getting on w/ another department full time. So, when I start, what do I get in return for my 5 years as a part-timer? Am I still gonna have to go through the "initiation?"

Originally posted by PartTimer:
    Am I still gonna have to go through the "initiation?"
    Not only that but, you'll have to wear your pledge pin prominently and do whatever the upper class officers request of you!!
    " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

hehehehe ,,,, if ya only knew....

Comment

I would have to say " yes ". It probably won't be as long or as severe as the first time.
        RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by 207:

Not only that but, you'll have to wear your pledge pin prominently
          A pledge pin?! A pledge pin? You're all worthless and weak! - Douglas C. Niedermeyer
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

NO matter where you go to start a new job you will always be the rookie within that department. The only thing is your experiances with other departments will show in the way you handle yourself therefore the initial initiation will be less severe as you have already paid a lot of the price.

Klar
            Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer:

A pledge pin?! A pledge pin? You're all worthless and weak! - Douglas C. Niedermeyer
              I KNEW there was a Douglas C. Niedermeyer (K.I.A. by his own troops) fan out there somewhere!!
              " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Initiation? You've got to be kidding me. I didn't join a fraternity in college because I thought initiations were stupid and juvenile.

I'm a soon-to-be rookie coming to police work late in life. I don't plan on putting up with any G-D initiation.
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

There was an old story about this Private (newbie)(rookie)that was drafted during Vietnam. He was called a newbie for quite a while till he proved himself to his squad. Several months later he was battlefield promoted to Sergeant and than later received a field commission to Lt. After the war was over, he transfered to a new duty station. Here you have a combat tested highly skilled individual in his job with several years of experience under his belt. When he inprocesses with his "new" unit, the supply sergeant says to his clerk, "get the newbie his gear." The Lt. just laughes it off thinking in his mind the entire time.....If they only knew!

Comment

Boy, do you have a rude awakening coming up kirch.

The " initiation " that a rookie has to go through to become a police officer is a necessary part of becoming a police officer.
                    Police officers are a group of people who have to depend upon each other with blind faith. This breeds a strong sense of camaraderie. This is built in part by " initiation ". This " initiation " is generally no more than messing with you at briefing or some innocent pranks. This process, in part, shows to the group how you are going to react.

While police work is done by individuals, it is by and large a group effort. It is your shift, sector, division, and department trying to obtain a goal

I have seen rookies handcuffed to gas meters, their squad cars " stolen " and being sent on nekkid people doing weird things calls. But never, have I seen rookies being force fed earthworms or having to do anything that is morally wrong or caused injury to anything except possibily their pride.

I might add, that each time I was promoted, I had to go through an " initiation period " from both my subordinates and my peers. My subordinates would do things to see how I was going to react as did my new peers. I look back now very fondly on some of the things that happened to me during my three initiation periods ( rookie, sergeant , and lieutenant ). I believe that these periods of time were actually some of the best I ever had.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Evnings ]
                    RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Evnings:
                      Boy, do you have a rude awakening coming up kirch.
                      My thoughts too!
                      I guess I should starting looking at the old practical joke threads again, just to be safe.

Comment

Hey P/T, If it makes you feel better.. MY CRUISER was "stolen" one night!

I wound up doing 4 [email protected] pages of paperwork on it too!!

Now our cars are no longer keyed alike.

Comment

When I first got on I was only 19 and I met this woman one night at the station when I got off. I was sure she was 19 and we just went out on a date. The next day the Captain called me in his office and informed me that her Daddy had called and she told him we had sex and she was 16. He went through the the whole thing asking me if I had my uniform and gun with me when I was with her. I said I did. He said he thought he could talk the guy out of the aggravated rape charges to simple rape. Then he said it might blow over I'll see what I can do to help you out. They let me ride in a car three days and I was waiting to be charged and I knew I didn't even do anything. Finally I couldn't take it no more and called her and she told me had Daddy had died when she was 12. Talk about check an ID after that. Every body in the station had a good laugh except me.
                          Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

It depends upon your department & who's working at the time. There are pranksters & then there are by-the-book people. We pulled things like getting the new guy to answer the phone & the caller asked to speak to one of the officers & everyone denied being who was asked for, setting up a mannequin in an abandoned house & "answering" a suspicious person call (you have to be careful with that one), sending the rookie to an open door call only to have him find that it was the newspaper delivery warehouse with lots of people carting stuff out. It's a part of the job & testing the new guy. Go in with a sense of humor & you'll be fine.

Comment

Kirch, I have to echo Evenings sentiments here, your going to be a rookie, your going to be the butt of some initiations, your going to be the butt of some jokes. Just role with it, if you dont and you cop an attitude your not going to be recieved very warmly and your relationship with your peers is going to suffer because of it.

On my first night solo I had a huge pile of dog $hit put in the back seat of my cruiser, sure I could have gotten all ****ed off and bitched and moaned about it, but I just scooped it up threw it away, everybody got a big laugh about it, and I laughed along with them. I know it sounds really gross, but it was an ice breaker and it let all the other guys know that I was a team player.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3502 users online. 224 members and 3278 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X