Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember correctly this was about a parking ticket? I can't remember after reading so much about spee-deeing tickets.

So BLee - was it yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
      In the U.S., all convictions will still show up on your driving record. It will show how many points you once had, if you ever went to driving school, all prior suspensions, name change/address changes, how many points your currently have, etc. The tickets just don't disappear.

A driver's complete history is displayed when I run a computer check. I would bet that is also the case in Canada.
      Oh yeah, they'll still show up on my driver's abstract, but they don't get used against me point-wise. In Saskatchewan there's two abstracts- a 5 year or a 10 year. Some employers request a 5 year and some request a 10 year. In 10 years, three out of my six tickets will be off my abstract, and in 11 years another one will be off.

Yeah, I can only wonder what the police see when they pull up my driver's license. Even if it is only driving related things it's still probably pretty bad. I don't even know if I want to see my police file. I have no criminal convictions, just all sorts of interesting police related events, some good, some bad, some neutral...
      Last edited by Spee-Dee; 08-21-2005, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
        Oh yeah, they'll still show up on my driver's abstract, but they don't get used against me point-wise. In Saskatchewan there's two abstracts- a 5 year or a 10 year. Some employers request a 5 year and some request a 10 year. In 10 years, three out of my six tickets will be off my abstract, and in 11 years another one will be off.

Yeah, I can only wonder what the police see when they pull up my driver's license. Even if it is only driving related things it's still probably pretty bad. I don't even know if I want to see my police file. I have no criminal convictions, just all sorts of interesting police related events, some good, some bad, some neutral...
        Don't you think the RCMP will noticed that when/if you apply? Prospective law enforcement employers dig pretty deeply. They will notice that sort of driving record however old it is. Your driving record will speak pointedly about your character, integrity and dependability. It is not simply a question of whether or not you are a good (or bad) driver.

Problem drivers are most generally problem people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
          Don't you think the RCMP will noticed that when/if you apply? Prospective law enforcement employers dig pretty deeply. They will notice that sort of driving record however old it is. Your driving record will speak pointedly about your character, integrity and dependability. It is not simply a question of whether or not you are a good (or bad) driver.

Problem drivers are most generally problem people.

That's why I'm waiting until 2013. That'll be ten years for the first three tickets and they'll be off my record/abstract and on their security form they send you, you only have to list stuff that happened within 10 years. I'm young and I've done some stupid things, only driving ones. I notice when I read this board a lot of people are asking things about misdemeanors, DUI's, drug use, arrests, etc. All things of which I've never been involved with. Call me a BSer if you want, but I'm drug free and never did ANY type of drug, not even pot. (Something which many people don't believe is even possible for someone my age. Can someone explain that?)

I'm not a problem person; I just move very fast. People are always complaining that I walk too fast and often times I just find myself running instead of walking around. I just can't stand moving slow. My driving habits is something that I've been working very hard at lately and so far I've managed to keep it within 5 km of the speed limit at all times with the exception of the highway which I set my cruise at 10 km over, which I think I an improvement over my 35 km over the limit that I used to cruise at.

Comment

UPDATE

Called the court and it turns out it was my ticket. Turns out I was parked in a Tow-Away Zone or something. Thing is, I honestly did not see ANY signs saying that there was no parking allowed along the street (didn't help that it was 930PM in an area I was not very familiar with). Heck, it looked like the residence on that street parked their own cars in the road as well. The ticket is a pretty hefty one at $100. Would it be even worth it trying to fight it saying I was not familiar with the area (which is true) and that I did not recall seeing any sign forbidding parking in that area (which is again true) and that since I saw other cars around I thought it was OK (true once again). Also, there had just been construction done on the road so all the lines had been erased/paved over.....don't know if that has anything to do with it, but if there had been lines on the road showing that you could not park there, I would not have, but there were no such lines.

Only thing is is that im a college student and my school is 4.5+hrs away from home and court dates are random. I would have my dad go, but he is real busy (especially now) and I wouldn't even think of asking him to do something like this for me. My mom wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do and my older brother will probably be busy either doing something in the military or possibly graduate school.
            Last edited by BLee85; 08-22-2005, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLee85
              UPDATE

Called the court and it turns out it was my ticket. Turns out I was parked in a Tow-Away Zone or something. Thing is, I honestly did not see ANY signs saying that there was no parking allowed along the street (didn't help that it was 930PM in an area I was not very familiar with). Heck, it looked like the residence on that street parked their own cars in the road as well. The ticket is a pretty hefty one at $100. Would it be even worth it trying to fight it saying I was not familiar with the area (which is true) and that I did not recall seeing any sign forbidding parking in that area (which is again true) and that since I saw other cars around I thought it was OK (true once again). Also, there had just been construction done on the road so all the lines had been erased/paved over.....don't know if that has anything to do with it, but if there had been lines on the road showing that you could not park there, I would not have, but there were no such lines.

Only thing is is that im a college student and my school is 4.5+hrs away from home and court dates are random. I would have my dad go, but he is real busy (especially now) and I wouldn't even think of asking him to do something like this for me. My mom wouldn't have the slightest clue what to do and my older brother will probably be busy either doing something in the military or possibly graduate school.
              as far as not seeing the sign, that wont help, if you were speeding and didnt see the sign, well, you were still speeding, *sorry*, but if there are no signs posted, no clear markings on the ground, well that is a different story, that would be your only leg to stand on.

Comment

Originally posted by BLee85
                UPDATE

Called the court and it turns out it was my ticket. Turns out I was parked in a Tow-Away Zone or something. Thing is, I honestly did not see ANY signs saying that there was no parking allowed along the street. Heck, it looked like the residence on that street parked their own cars in the road as well. The ticket is a pretty hefty one at $100. Would it be even worth it trying to fight it saying I was not familiar with the area (which is true) and that I did not recall seeing any sign forbidding parking in that area (which is again true) and that since I saw other cars around I thought it was OK (true once again). Also, there had just been construction done on the road so all the lines had been erased/paved over.....don't know if that has anything to do with it, but if there had been lines on the road showing that you could not park there, I would not have, but there were no such lines.

I've heard of people getting fines lowered simply by taking the time to go to court. You can try that, but it's best if you go in person (it looks better on your behalf, and in most cases it's required that you attend). My brother got a $500 stunting ticket reduced to a $60 unnecessary noise ticket simply by explaining to the judge that he just excellerated too fast out of the gravel parking lot and accidently squealed his tires. (Our campus security are jerks.)

Comment

That's why I'm waiting until 2013. That'll be ten years for the first three tickets and they'll be off my record/abstract and on their security form they send you, you only have to list stuff that happened within 10 years. I'm young and I've done some stupid things, only driving ones. I notice when I read this board a lot of people are asking things about misdemeanors, DUI's, drug use, arrests, etc. All things of which I've never been involved with. Call me a BSer if you want, but I'm drug free and never did ANY type of drug, not even pot. (Something which many people don't believe is even possible for someone my age. Can someone explain that?)

I'm not a problem person; I just move very fast. People are always complaining that I walk too fast and often times I just find myself running instead of walking around. I just can't stand moving slow. My driving habits is something that I've been working very hard at lately and so far I've managed to keep it within 5 km of the speed limit at all times with the exception of the highway which I set my cruise at 10 km over, which I think I an improvement over my 35 km over the limit that I used to cruise at.
                  Good luck not getting a ticket from now until 2013.
                  Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
                  Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
                    Good luck not getting a ticket from now until 2013.

I'm taking it one year at a time. My friend told me that if I can make it one year without getting a ticket that she's buying me an ice cream cake to celebrate. I have only 4 months to go. *knocks on wood*

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                      as far as not seeing the sign, that wont help, if you were speeding and didnt see the sign, well, you were still speeding, *sorry*, but if there are no signs posted, no clear markings on the ground, well that is a different story, that would be your only leg to stand on.
                      If the sign was obstructed by a tree or something like that, then not seeing the sign can be used to your advantage.

Comment

If the sign was obstructed by a tree or something like that, then not seeing the sign can be used to your advantage.
                        i wouldnt bet the farm on it, it depends on the judge, but the sign is still there. i have seen people argue that before and it didnt go anywhere.

Comment

I'd say go ahead and fight it. You might be able to contest the citation in writing, like we do here.
                          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                            I'd say go ahead and fight it. You might be able to contest the citation in writing, like we do here.
                            you dont have to be present, thats different. and unfair, do you as an officer have to be present in court?

Comment

Parking cites are not contested through the courts here. They are contested through the police department, parking services division or an independent review board. If some body in the police department writes a parking ticket, it is reviewed by a Sergeant. If he up-holds it, I believe it is then passed to the review board. If somebody from parking enforcement writes a cite, then it is reviewed by a parking services admininstrator.
                              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                                Parking cites are not contested through the courts here. They are contested through the police department, parking services division or an independent review board. If some body in the police department writes a parking ticket, it is reviewed by a Sergeant. If he up-holds it, I believe it is then passed to the review board. If somebody from parking enforcement writes a cite, then it is reviewed by a parking services admininstrator.
                                oh okay, were i worked we could write a $5 parking cite and you know, i dont know if it was contestable or not, i would think it would be, but i dont know, or we could write an actual cite and leave it on the car and it was, umm, about $105 but if they wanted to contest it they could and it went through city court. in the 4 yrs full time i was there, i dont think i ever wrote anything other than the $5 wons though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2836 users online. 189 members and 2647 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X