This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I get a ticket or not???

This has me somewhat heated right now so bear with me.

I was a DD for 4 other friends who wanted to go to a bar tonight. We go in, have a good time, etc. We come out after we're all done and hop back in my car. While im driving away, I see a bunch of pieces of paper fly out from my windshield. I pull over, stop the car and see what it is. It is what appears to be a parking ticket. The only information on the torn piece of paper is a name and the time the ticket was given. So at this point, I figure it's a parking ticket so I go back and look for the rest of the pieces of paper to no avail.

What got me so angry is that for one....somewhat tore up this ticket so I have absolutely no idea if it was mine or not. I parked all the way down the street (far away from the bar) since I know they give out tickets on the road to cars that are parked too close to the bar on the residential roads. Normally when my friends drive to the bar, they park around where I did and they don't get anything.

That kind of makes me think it's not my ticket. Second thing is that it was on the right side of my windshield by the passenger seat. Granted, someone obviously picked it up and ripped it up and put it back, it seems like an awful lot of trouble to reach across the windshield to put it on the opposite side of the windshield. Also, my car was parked facing opposite the direction someone would be coming when leaving the bar, so someone could not easily be able to see the ticket so readily to do something as stupid as this.

Now, what do you think is the best course of action to find out if this ticket was really for me or not? Should I call up the precinct/department and ask them, or should I call up the court? The thing with calling the courts is that I don't think they would have that kind of information until at least another week or two...and I'm leaving to go back to school in less than a week and a half.

Thanks for any info/advice.

PD's keep a record of all activity, including parking tickets. They will be able to tell you if your vehicle was cited. If you can not read what is left of the ticket, they can track it with your plate number, date and aprox time.

It sounds like one of two things.

1. It is a real ticket and a drunk screwed with it.
    2. Someone else (probably a drunk) received the ticket and placed it on your car.

Comment

I am not a cop, but in my non-sworn capacity, I do write parking tickets.

This happens a lot in our city, some one will pull parking cites off of cars down town and put them on random cars. The best thing to do is to contact the LE agency where this cite might have been issued and see if it was in fact for you.

The department I work for has a system set-up where in addition to the hard copy of the parking cite, a second notice is sent via mail to where the vehicle is registered. If the citation is not contested or paid within 14 days, another notice is sent. I'm not sure if this is the same where you are, so your best bet is to check.

Were you parked in a residential permit zone? Do you think it is possible you parked in front of a fire hydrant, in a red zone, etc?
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Give whoever gives out the tickets a call and give them your plate number. They will know if that was your ticket or not. (If it is, they may even just give you a warning for it because you're being so responsible to inquire about it.)

I always get parking tickets at school. (It's cheaper than paying for parking and it doesn't go against my licence or anything, as the vehicle's not mine.) I got a ticket once and someone took it off my windshield. About three weeks later I (well, actually it was my dad, as it's technically his car) got a letter from Campus Security stating that I had an unpaid parking ticket and now rather than paying the $5 fee, I owe $50. I was like, WTF? What ticket? (I always pay my tickets promptly so that I avoid these nasty letters.) I explained to them that someone must have taken it off my car and then explained to them that I always pay my parking tickets on time, which they have evidence of. They let me pay the $5.

Comment

I highly doubt the PD will let the violation slide with a warning, if he calls in. This is the grown-up world, not high school. Generally, one has to appear at some sort of hearing or file an appeal to skate on a parking ticket.

With all due respect to Speed-Dee, anyone that takes his/her advice is on a fool

Comment

[QUOTE=Tennsix]I highly doubt the PD will let the violation slide with a warning, if he calls in. This is the grown-up world, not high school. Generally, one has to appear at some sort of hearing or file an appeal to skate on a parking ticket.

With all due respect to Speed-Dee, anyone that takes his/her advice is on a fool
            Last edited by Spee-Dee; 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM.

Comment

No Clue...

Originally posted by Spee-Dee
              Hey, I got warning for mine. Parking tickets are generally just city revenue. I've never been to traffic court either and all my tickets have been paid on time with the exception of just that one.

Fine, just sit on it and wait for the "late payment" letter to come in the mail with the increased fine amount. It can't hurt to call.
              LOL... how many tickets have you received. You don't have a clue, my friend...

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                LOL... how many tickets have you received. You don't have a clue, my friend...

I have something like 20+ parking tickets that have been issued by campus security for parking at an expired meter.

I have 6 speeding tickets that I've all just voluntarily paid for.

Comment

Thanks folks, going to check in with the department sometime in the future. I was not parked in front of a fire hydrant, but by one. However, I was far enough away...there was a full driveway's length plus some extra ground on either side between my car and the hydrant. Also, I don't recall seeing any tickets on any of the other cars parked in the area as I was somewhat concerned about a ticket and didn't see any on the other cars. I didn't see anything obvious on my own windshield, however, I will admit that I only briefly looked at my own side of the windshield.

Also, one more thing I thought about this morning. The name on the ticket was printed. This was not the name of the street nor the make/model of a car. To my best knowledge, officers do not print their name anywhere on the ticket, but do sign the bottom....but that will be the only place the officer's name appears on the entire ticket. Is this correct? or does it vary from county to county (I live in NY, was in Nassau County). I will still call the dept. regardless, but this will help me ease my mind a little if it is true.

Thanks again for your info

Comment

Are you proud of this

I have something like 20+ parking tickets that have been issued by campus security for parking at an expired meter.

"Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Six speeding tickets, at your age??? I don't know how it works in your parts but around here, you would be a candidate for mandatory driving school.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                        Are you proud of this
                        I'm not proud of it...but these things happen, especially when you drive more than 250,000 km mainly within the city in less than four years.

Comment

Actually, they don't just "happen", your right foot is under your control.
                          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

So, what brings you to O.Com? You seem to take pride in your irresponsible and illegal exploits.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                              So, what brings you to O.Com? You seem to take pride in your irresponsible and illegal exploits.
                              one of her first posts, she said that she wanted to become a mountie, in candada.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2793 users online. 157 members and 2636 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X