Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil juries have lost their minds....

This one might be worse than the jury that awarded a woman money for spilling McDonald's coffee in her own lap.

Jury Awards $50,000 to convicted child killer

A jury has awarded a convicted child killer and prison escapee $50,000 because he fell out of the back of a transport van.

The thing that really gets me: $10,000 was for "Loss of Enjoyment" of life.

This man KILLED a TWO YEAR OLD CHILD and is serving a life sentence without parole. I don't think his fall is what caused his "Loss of Enjoyment".

Anyone who would award $50,000 to a child killer needs a reality check.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

That has to be one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

Law suit are getting way out of hand.
    John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

well then, now that humanity has taken a turn for worse, may i ask what the hell he is going to do with 50 grand in jail???

Comment

We should either abolish juries all together or go with professional juries (like in Europe) or at at the very least let people choose if they want to serve jury duty instead of it being mandatory.

Comment

Well....I think it is just another symptom of the declining presence of common sense.

What happens when you let the inmates run the assylum I guess (for example a gangbanger on the jury)
          An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

I don't know about other states, but in FL they select jurers by drivers license, which every Tom, Dick, and Harry has. It was better when they did it by voter registration.

Comment

Originally posted by MAD_MAX333
              well then, now that humanity has taken a turn for worse, may i ask what the hell he is going to do with 50 grand in jail???
              He can buy a buttload of cigarettes and candy bars I guess. Perhaps with any luck, the families of his victims will file civil suits and take every stinking dime of it.

$10,000 for annoyance and inconvenience... wow.
              God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Originally posted by zap
                Well....I think it is just another symptom of the declining presence of common sense.

Thats for sure

Comment

Someone already said this, but every last penny of that money should go to the victims family.
                  Goes to show you a Jury is never predictable. Some smooth slick talking Attorneys can sway anyone...
                  Hopefully Cell Mate Bubba demands his cut of the money or else he takes payment in another form.
                  Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                    We should either abolish juries all together or go with professional juries (like in Europe) or at at the very least let people choose if they want to serve jury duty instead of it being mandatory.

Have to disagree with you.

juries and the decisions they make can really suck. but having professional juries? no thanks.

and NY recently got rid of all exemptions -for the most part Hell I got called twice this year alone once for federal court and once for County.

Having a professional jury would never pass in some states maybe but The NY courts would rule it unconstitutional rather quick.

Comment

Originally posted by mark7777

juries and the decisions they make can really suck. but having professional juries? no thanks.

and NY recently got rid of all exemptions -for the most part Hell I got called twice this year alone once for federal court and once for County.

Having a professional jury would never pass in some states maybe but The NY courts would rule it unconstitutional rather quick.

Does a lot of you who are LEO's or retired LEO's get called for jury duty.

And about the money, the lawyer in this case will take 20 %, so there is not that much left for the families.

Comment

I agree....how long would it be before the pro jurer would start acting like an attorney? Suddenly something that is important...and critical to your case...is brushed off as something they have heard before.

Sort of like a cop hearing someone say they have only had a couple. Afterwhile, you just don't believe it...even if it IS TRUE.
                        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Comment

No more exemptions? Not even for parents with young/sick kids or people who say they are biased for whatever reason just to get out of it?

Comment

i have been debating on whether or not to post this, but here goes, i still havent been given a good explanation for this, if OJ was found not guilty of murder, how can he be guilty in civil court of wrongful death. i dont want a did he do it debate.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                              i have been debating on whether or not to post this, but here goes, i still havent been given a good explanation for this, if OJ was found not guilty of murder, how can he be guilty in civil court of wrongful death. i dont want a did he do it debate.

EDIT.......never mind....I didn't check your profile before I answered....I am sure you were looking for more than the civil vs criminal standards. ...sorry

(message deleted)
                              Last edited by zap; 08-17-2005, 08:54 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4343 users online. 260 members and 4083 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X